2010 Rule 4 Draft Deadline Update
The deadline for signing HS, JC, and college players (other than seniors) selected in this past June's Rule 4 Draft has past, as the Cubs announced the signing of four draft picks (RHP Ben Wells, RHP Kevin Rhoderick, LHP Casey Harman, and LHP Brian Smith) prior to the midnight deadline on Monday.
In total, the Cubs signed 29 of their 50 draft picks, just about the usual number they sign each year. In addition, the Cubs signed four Non-Drafted Free-Agents (NDFA) to provide depth at Mesa and Boise.
Here are the 2010 draft picks and Non-Drafted Free-Agents (NDFA) who were signed by the Cubs, and those who the Cubs were not able to sign. The highest draft pick to get away was 6th round pick OF Ivan DeJesus, who will be attending UAB.
NOTE: The 8/15 deadline does not apply to college seniors selected in last month's draft, but the Cubs signed all of the college seniors they drafted.
2010 RULE 4 DRAFT PICKS SIGNED (29):
1. HAYDEN SIMPSON, RHP (Southern Arkansas) – at AZL Cubs (60-day DL - illness)
2. REGGIE GOLDEN, OF (Wetumpka HS – Wetumpka, AL) – at AZL Cubs
3. MICAH GIBBS, C (LSU) - at BOISE
4. HUNTER ACKERMAN, LHP (Louisburg JC) – at AZL Cubs
5. MATT SZCZUR, OF (Villanova) – TEMPORARILY INACTIVE LIST (will be playing college football at Villanova)
7. BEN WELLS, RHP (Bryant HS – Bryant, AR) – NOT ASSIGNED YET
8. CAM GREATHOUSE, LHP (Gulf Coast CC) – at BOISE
9. KEVIN RHODERICK, RHP (Oregon State) - NOT ASSIGNED YET
10. AARON KURCZ, RHP (College of Southern Nevada) – at BOISE
11. ERIC JOKISCH, LHP (Northwestern) – at BOISE
12. AUSTIN REED, RHP (Rancho Cucamonga HS – Rancho Cucamonga, CA) – at AZL Cubs
13. PIERRE LePAGE, 2B (Connecticut) – at BOISE
14. COLIN RICHARDSON, RHP (Winter Haven HS – Winter Haven, FL) – at AZL Cubs
15. ELLIOT SOTO, SS (Creighton) – at BOISE
16. RYAN HARTMAN, RHP (Mt. Zion HS - Mt. Zion, IL) – at AZL Cubs
19. DUSTIN FITZGERALD, RHP (Hill JC) – at BOISE
20. RYAN CUNEO, 1B (Delaware) – at BOISE
22. JEFF VIGURS, C (Bryant U.) – at BOISE
23. MATT LOOSEN, RHP (Jacksonville U.) – at BOISE
24. DUSTIN GEIGER, 3B (Merritt Island HS - Brevard County, FL) – at AZL Cubs
25. ERIC RICE, RHP (Palm Beach State CC) – at BOISE
28. JOE ZELLER, RHP (The Master’s College) – at AZL Cubs
29. CASEY HARMAN, LHP (Clemson) - NOT ASSIGNED YET
32. BRENT EBINGER, LHP (Lambuth U.) – at BOISE
34. DUSTIN HARRINGTON, INF (East Carolina) – at BOISE
37. CHAD NOBLE, C (Northwestern) – at AZL Cubs
40. BRIAN SMITH, LHP (St. Mary’s Catholic SS – Pickering, ON) – NOT ASSIGNED YET
41. DALLAS BEELER, RHP (Oral Roberts) – at AZL Cubs
49. BRYCE SHAFER, RHP (Valparaiso) - at AZL Cubs
2010 NON-DRAFTED FREE-AGENTS (NDFA) SIGNED (ALL WERE COLLEGE SENIORS):
DOUG CHERRY, 2B (U. of Washington) - at AZL Cubs (Inactive)
ANTHONY GIANSANTI, OF (Siena) - at PEORIA
MAX KWAN, C (U. of Washington) - NOT ASSIGNED YET
JAKE McALOOSE, IF-OF (Old Dominion) - at AZL Cubs
2010 DRAFT PICKS NOT SIGNED - THE ONES WHO GOT AWAY:
6. IVAN DeJESUS, CF (Cupeyville School – San Juan, PR) – will attend UAB
17. STEVEN BROOKS, CF (Wake Forest)
18. BROOKS PINCKARD, RHP/OF (Baylor)
21. CODY COX, RHP (Grassfield HS – Chesapeake, VA) – will attend Old Dominion
26. DANNY MUNO, SS (Fresno State)
27. BRYAN HARPER, LHP (College of Southern Nevada) – will transfer to U. of South Carolina
30. KARSTEN STRIEBY, 1B (Arizona Western JC)
31. BENITO SANTIAGO, Jr, 1B (Lon Morris JC)
33. MATT STITES, RHP (Jefferson CC) – will transfer to U. of Missouri
35. CHRIS ANDERSON, RHP (Centennial HS – Blaine, MN) – will attend Jacksonville U.
36. TYLER BREMER, RHP (Yavapai JC) – will transfer to Baylor
38. JEREMY FITZGERALD, RHP (Patrick Henry CC)
39. CASEY LUCCHESE, RHP (College of Charleston)
42. TREY NIELSEN, RHP (Skyline HS – Salt Lake City, UT) – will attend U. of Utah
43. DANNY WINKLER, RHP (Parkland JC) – will transfer to Central Florida
44. JAKE ROGERS, 1B (St. Petersburg CC)
45. DEVON AUSTIN, C (Couer D’Alene HS – Couer D’Alene, ID) – will attend New Mexico State
46. JERAD EICKHOFF, RHP (Olney Central CC)
47. CLAYTON CRUM, RHP (Klein HS – Harris County, TX) – will attend U. of Texas
48. ERIC PAULSON, 3B (Fremd HS – Palatine, IL) – will attend Bradley U.
50. ERIC JAGIELO, SS (Downers Grove North HS – Downers Grove, IL) – will attend Notre Dame
Wow -- Chapman gives up a hit and everything completely caves in. I think the Cubs went into collective shock.
Stolen base with the pitcher holding the ball, WP that should have been caught or blocked, then Russell with a 2-out error on a routine play. Cubs handed them 2 runs. Throw in a Fowler bobble and it was a mess.
Hopefully, that is all out of their system now -- let's get a W tomorrow.
First time I've ever seen a base running slump -- he's made some poor decisions recently, but I thought it was a great idea to try to score there -- it's not like Heyward was going to get a 2-out hit against a LHP. Sliding feet-first into home is probably the safe (ugh) way to go, but it's hard to get the foot on the plate.
Yup. He got squeezed (twice) on the first walk, but, when you have one-run lead and the other team is trying to make an out -- take the out.
Clearly the Cubs need to clear out the farm and trade for another closer
Where's Ed Lynch when you need him?
Those were more entertaining times.
I wonder if there's an actual cause to this because they were going up hacking at everything. Wonder if scoring a bunch of runs makes you feel like you.can swing at anything and hit it.
That second walk he gave Up was awful though with no pitches even close to being a strike. He was trying to pitch around bunt and that almost never works. That said Rondon should have been brought in after the first walk and should have been left in to finish the inning because he was looking like he had good stuff.
Remember when Bryant used to be able to run the bases with impunity?
And Miggy costs them another run
torres would easily be the system's #1 prospect. he's a middle IF'r that's showing he can stick there even as he's gaining bulk/muscle so far. that said, it's not like the distance between torres and jimenez is huge...it's torres's position value that would vault him in prospect status.
jimenez has the higher ceiling just isolating the bat aspect of his game.
it would suck to lose either, but torres is a very popular/valuable piece.
Arrieta in line to lose the game too
...and chapman fails us. gives up the lead. boo.
bringing in rondon to try to put out this fire is a nice luxury.
Complete craziness bottom seven. Bottom line Cubs were fortunate to score a run
And of course Arrieta walks the first two batters in the eighth (to be fair he was totally squeezed on Zunino's walk to start the inning)
...and the no hitter is over in the 7th...2 on, 0 out.