Chicago Cubs Draft History

We've had a few draft history pieces over the years, a 3-part series I did back in 2005( the third part is particularly gruesome) and one by reader "Real Neal" last year. Reader "Wiscgrad" has put one together for this year and I'll be adding it to the "TCR Junk Drawer" as soon as I get a moment. Unfortunately, I'm having some issues getting it translated to HTML (particularly the pictures), so the PDF file is down below for your reading and viewing pleasure.

Chicago Cubs Draft History (PDF File)

Comments

As some ESPN hack would write for the talking heads :"the Good, the bad, and the Ugly of the Cubs draft history." Good job, Rob.

To change the subject entirely, I would love the Cubs to get C.C. Sabathia, but not for ARam. Cliff Lee might be pitching outside of his level, so I'm wary of that guy. AJ Burnett is an oft-injured malcontent. No thanks. We're chock full of pitchers that are head cases.

Huh? People are saying ARam for CC? That would never happen.

What? Where was the Aram rumor from?

just to clarify, reader WISCGRAD wrote the article I linked to, although I did do one in 2005.

I like to look at this list I compiled and slam my head in a door every once in awhile:

ALL-TIME JUST MISSED TEAM
P - Dwight Gooden (1982/5th); Shawon Dunston(1982/1st)
P - Jack McDowell(1987/5th); Mike Harkey (1987/4th)
P - Roger Clemens (1983/19th); Jackie Davidson (1983/6th)
P - Billy Wagner (1993/12th); Brooks Kieschnick(1993/10th)
C - Ray Fosse (1965/7th); Rick James (1965/6th)
1B - Mark McGwire (1984/11th); Drew Hall (1984/3rd)
2B - Chuck Knoblauch (1989/25th); Earl Cunningham (1989/8th)
SS - Garry Templeton (1974/13th)/Scot Thompson (1974/8th)
3B - Robin Venura (1988/10th)/Ty Griffin (1988/9th)
OF - Manny Ramirez(1991/13th); Doug Glanville(1991/12th)
OF - Lance Berkman(1997/16th); Jon Garland (1997/10th)
OF - Gary Matthews (1968/17th); Ralph Rickey (1968/15th)

in hindsight, Utley deserves to be the second basemen on that team, picked 15th the year we picked Montanez 3rd.

Kevin Goldstein's mock draft has the Cubs picking...

... a slow and steady riser, as the Cubs have been in on hard and heavy to see the last few starts by Illinois high school star Jake Odorizzi. He has the kind of velocity, command, and clean mechanics rarely seen from the cold-weather states.... consistently touching 95 mph with his fastball while showing a much-improved breaking ball.
Selection: Jake Odorizzi, RHP, Highland HS (IL)

not killing the messenger here...nonetheless...

mock drafts past the first 5 or so picks are pretty f'n lame.

cubs got way too deep of a pick to even narrow it down to 3-5 possible picks, especially in this very weak draft class. very very very weak...there's like only 1-2 highschool pitchers worth drafting and some of the best college arms are relievers.

btw, if pedro alvarez makes it past AAA with his swing i'd be amazed. someone will blow million on him in the first 10 picks, though (probably top 5).

Not doubting you or anything Crunch because I have no clue about this, but out of curiosity, what makes you think Alvarez's swing is worse than MLB scouts think it is? Have you seen him play?

yes, seen him play...also seen video (god, i love the new era of video-on-demand coming from all over the place along with nearly every cell phone having a camera).

about his swing...i dont really think scouts think its better than i think it is...at least i dont think too many expect him to be a guy who's a top tier talent. he can move the bat through the zone, but he really loves chasing anything high which he can do something with his aluminum bat and wrist/hand speed. he's is the most polished bat in the draft, but he's not THAT polished. it's a weak draft class all around.

about his glove/arm...average at best for both. lotta people on the fence about whether he'll be able to stay there and if he might/should end up in LF/1st. doubt anyone will draft him and do anything but stick him at 3rd to begin with, but how long can he stay? with an arm that's barely 3rd base quality and average D...he'd need some good power for that...

which brings me to the power thing. i've been sold on him being a guy with a great swing...fast swing...but his power stroke *seems* to be aluminum bat influenced and since coming back from his hamate bone removal it's really showed.

that said...he does have the tools and he's very athletic. he's also the most polished bat in the draft. he'll have a lot going for him coming into this draft that would be overshadowed in other draft classes. a lot of what's moving him up (besides his actual #s performance) is how athletic he is. he's not fast by any means (kinda slow), but he's not lazy and there's a lotta teams who would love to try to mold him into the guy he could be.

Nice article Wisconsin!

The CC for Aram is from Goatriders. No sniping please; I found it preposterous as well. Not a rumored trade, just some random idiot's idea.

• crunch 3 hours 17 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 3 hours 17 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 3 hours 50 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 4 hours 14 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 14 hours 22 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 14 hours 32 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 14 hours 51 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.