No, the Gagne is Not Always Greener

Something to distract from tonight's unpleasantness in Cincinnati:

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Doug Melvin has no plans to unseat Eric Gagne as Brewers closer. A quick comparison:

G IP
H
K
BB
ERA S
BS
Kerry Wood 14 15 10 13 3 4.80 4 3
Eric Gagne 16 14.2 15 17 10 6.14 9 5

Gagne also has a WHIP of 1.7 and opponents are hitting .382 against him. Wood's numbers are 0.87, .189.

And the Brewers don't have Carlos Marmol as a Plan B.

Comments

This might be ignorant of me, but I really don't see Gange turning things around much this year, either. Sure his numbers will settle down a little, but this isn't Mariano Rivera having a trademark bad April, this Eric Gange who looks out of shape and not sharp at all.

Gagne = Glendon Rush with goggles

Not to mention the $10MM paycheck.

Speaking of closers, did anyone ever figure out why LaTroy Hawkins sucked? His stuff was always good and his slider had good bite. It was puzzling.

David Weathers can go in and easily get guys out with mediocre 82 MPH sinkers, but LaTroy Hawkins gets lit up on sharp 84 MPH sliders. Location & walks were always a problem, but still...

Maybe LaTroy lost confidence in the slider -- my memory is that he threw mostly 92-94 mph fastballs without great movement or location. Hitters sat on the fastball and eventally hammered it.

This is all well and good, except we haven't had many leads to save lately, losing 8 of the last 11.

Come back when there is more sample size with our guys, then we can have something to really compare.

David Weathers: "...David Weathers can go in and easily get guys out..."

Uh, not really. 4.32 ERA 2+ WHIP

Don't think this is "easily out" stuff for a short guy.

Not well liked in Cinci. Sucked here for the most part, too.

Weathers had 45 saves over '06-'07, with a 3.50-ish ERA. That's probably what was being referenced.

Why don't you include Gagne's '05/06 stats?

Because I was talking about Weathers. The comment was he easily gets guys out, and you disagreed. Not only was my response not about Gagne, neither was your original comment. So why would I reference Gagne?

If you are referencing "old stats" (which was not made clear in the comment that Weathers "easily gets guys out..."), and the original post is comparing Wood to Gagne, why not compare Gagne's old stats? David Weathers was not a topic of the lead submission by Cubnut, either. What's the difference?

"Whatever."

I was making a guess as to what the Weathers comment was about. It still has nothing to do with Gagne. Sorry you can't see that.

Sorry you can't see my point either. You commented on Weathers (where the poster did not say "when"; I brought up old stats of Gagne.

Like I said: "Whatever."

Anyway, perhaps we could discuss something more meaningful, like what day Mark De Rosa breaks out of his slump?

No, I see your point. But it's not relevant. (Someone help me out here!??!) I was only commenting on your comment about Weathers. It just so happens that the comment was in a blog post about Gagne. Ryno brought up Weathers; you disagreed with his comment; I used old stats to suggest that maybe that's what he was talking about. End 'o subject.

DeRo will come out of it soon.

"DeRo will come out of it soon."

I hope so. OF all our "utility starters". He is my favorite, and generally pretty solid.

• Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 20 min 49 sec ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

crunch 33 min 4 sec ago view
  • bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 10 hours 29 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 10 hours 38 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 10 hours 57 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.

• Thank you for your answer.

#baseballtalk

Tito 11 hours 8 min ago view
  • bless your heart.

• I don't recall you answering my question about quantifying how it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this season, apart from one guy scoring on a sac fly. Can you direct me to your answer? Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 11 hours 13 min ago view
  • Lester's personal catcher has an .809 OPS.

#baseballtalk