Cubs Weekend In Review

An incomplete list, in no particular order...

Bad Weekend

Jason Marquis. Though Lou Piniella apologized for "overreacting" to Marquis' comments following Saturday's game, the pitcher's "I have a family to worry about" statement made him look stupid and foolish and...like a modern-day Major Leaguer.

Alfonso Soriano. Broke the tip of this right middle finger on Sunday during a drill meant to hone his ability to catch balls up against the outfield wall. Expected to miss game action for the next five days.

Neal Cotts. Pitched two-thirds of an inning on Sunday and now has a 27.00 ERA. 'nuf said.

Geo Soto's waistline. I hope AZ Phil can confirm or refute this, but it appeared to me from Sunday's telecast that Soto has regained a lot of the weight he lost last year, when he had his big season in the Pacific Coast League and was so impressive in his limited debut with the big club.

Kerry Wood. Tagged for a longball by the Angels' Torii Hunger, plus two singles and a double in one-third of an inning on Saturday.

Good Weekend:

Matt Murton. Went 3-for-3 in Saturday's loss to the Angels.

Felix Pie. Knocked his second Cactus League home run on Sunday; hitting .273 in the early going.

Carrie Muskat groupies. Carrie got some air time during Sunday's telecast and revealed that she had business cards printed up in Japanese to help her establish rapport with Kosuke Fukudome. I'm wondering how many cards she had printed up and how many she'll have to give Fukudome before he finally replies, through his interpreter, "What am I supposed to do with all of these cards?"

Sam Zell. As this NYT profile makes clear, Sam has little chance of being the game's most odious owner as long as Hank Steinbrenner is around.

Comments

Grrrr! Torii Hunger hit far! Famished for homers! Nom nom nom

Hopefully Pie can keep hitting like this, having him get on base will give somebody for Soriano to drive in.

I would move Muskrat up to the Bad column. While I didn't think it possible, her dry as toast air time actually made me lose even more respect for her. It was like right out of one of Molly Shannon's deadpan SNL news bits from years ago.

I thought she sounded like a chick Napoleon Dynamite. Gosh Len, just eat the meat.

lol, yeah, that's pretty much a perfect description.

I don't know if you saw Carrie on TV yesterday but she nailed the Katherine Hepburn hair and look from "On Golden Pond".

More on the Roberts trade situation...looks like the O's are getting serious again, but no indication on when a possible deal would get done. Mentions again the possibility of getting Jay Payton along with Roberts.

So the real question now is "Who would you be willing to give up to keep the O's from sending over Payton?"

Don't know if anyone cares, but tickets for the Cubs last two Spring Training games vs. Mariners in Las Vegas go on sale through Ticketmaster in about an hour. Didn't get to go to Phoenix this year so this is my substitute. Crazy as it is, a guy from the minor league team there that runs the promotion said that last year they sold the two games out in about 30 minutes.

• Eloy Jimenez grand slam tonight. Hoping Soler power returns and gets hot but future looks bright in the outfield regardless.

Finished the night 4-5, with two doubles - 32(!) on the season - along with the grand slam. Sick

Eric S 34 min 44 sec ago view
  • Meanwhile, out West:

SF is 2-11 since the break, lead over LA is down to one game, and they are running out Cain and Peavy this weekend against the Nats. Challenging times by the Bay.

billybucks 1 hour 21 min ago view
  • Thanks for the updates Phil. Too bad about Frazier.

Hagsag 5 hours 16 min ago view
  • The Cubs have released RHRP Scott Frazier (2013 7th round dfraft pick - Pepperdine).

A Cubs pitching coach told me in Spring Training 2014 that he thought Frazier had the best pure stuff in the organization. Absolutely electric fastball & breaking ball combo. Other pitchers would gather behind the screen just to watch him throw "live" BP. That's how amazing he was.

Arizona Phil 10 hours 25 min ago view
  • Got a chance to see Diamondbacks RHSP Zack Greinke (15-day DL - strained oblique) throw a rehab start at Sloan Park Friday night. Four of the first seven AZL Cubs hitters singled and the Cubs did score an unearned run in the bottom of the 1st inning, but then Greinke got serious and struck out five in a row.

ZACK GREINKE: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 49 pitches (34 strikes)

Arizona Phil 10 hours 39 min ago view
  • Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

• Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 15 hours 56 min ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 16 hours 22 min ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 16 hours 49 min ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 18 hours 18 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 19 hours 52 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 21 hours 32 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 21 hours 34 min ago view