This Little Piggy Went to Iowa

Sean Marshall was supposed to start for the Iowa Cubs tonight against Albuquerque in Des Moines. Instead he's on his way to Pittsburgh, exchanging roster spots with Carmen Pignatiello. Apparently Lou Piniella huffed and puffed and blew 'Piggy' back to the minors after the southpaw showed his appreciation for making the big club by walking both hitters he faced in Monday's 10-8 torture tilt.

Comments

Boo. But oh well... he will be back at some point.

Not sure that I am a fan of wasting Marshall in the bullpen though.

Sorry guys. I see this news was posted earlier deep in the comments beneath the Billy Buck post. I was hoping to watch Marshall tonight. Gallagher is supposed to throw tomorrow, but the weather forecast is not good. Pretty short leash they had 'Piggy' on...

Strange move -- Marshall in the pen only diminishes his value, either to the Cubs or to someone else.

I'm not Sean is the the right guy for the job. I think his struggles in relief this spring proved that.

I've always thought it to be a general rule that soft tossing left-handers don't make good relievers. Of course there are exceptions to that, so maybe he'll do OK. I'm not particularly optimistic about it, though.

Cedeno starting tonight @ SS

Hope the fans in the first few rows in the RF boxes pay attention, one of his throws could give 'em a facial if they're not looking.

Yeah, boo. Piggy may have been terrible, but Marshall won't be appreciably better and his value, and much higher upside, are hurt by going back to the pen.

Way to go, Piniella! Sending Piggy down to Iowa after a few brief outings will surely teach him not to suck next time he gets called up. Clearly he wasn't aware that he was supposed to try to get outs.

And Marshall in the bullpen makes all sorts of sense.

I'm trying out sarcasm today.

• vogelbomb debut for tacoma (AAA SEA)... 3-3, 1bb, 1 HR, 1 double...DH'd.

while he mostly played 1st considerably more than DH for AAA CHC, DJ Peterson is probably going to see most of the time at 1st for AAA SEA.

• Carl Jr.! Very nice!

Baez with another "WTF?" play trying a delayed steal with a runner on 3rd and one out.. Remarkable talent, needs to make better decisions.

• m.montgomery up in the pen with a man on 2nd, 2 out, and rondon 20 pitches into the inning.

...and rondon ends it 22 pitches in with a popout to RF.

• I gotta say with the crappy defense the Brewers have displayed outside of Fowler I'm pretty disappointed the offense hasn't shown more and Rizzo seems to be very swing happy lately. That said my god am I happy Madden has finally given Carl Edwards a chance after multiple times up with nothing. I don't think he could handle a starting role with his body frame but his stuff plays so well in a relief role and he seems to be able to handle high stress situations very well.

• 2nd at bat. Fowler is good for the Cubs run differential.

Cubster 10 hours 47 min ago view
  • welcome back fowler.

• More slow news...

Did Davey Martinez have to bring the shotgun?

Cubster 11 hours 36 min ago view
  • glad to see almora going to AAA to get work.

.265/.291/.422 through 86PA...2hr, 7 doubles.

i don't expect too much of an improvement when he's taking over CF next year, but the team doesn't really need him right now as much as they need him to get regular work (imo).

• CHITOWNMVP01: The Cubs MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) has had one slot open since 7/6 (when RHRP Joel Peralta was Designated for Assignment).

Arizona Phil 14 hours 2 min ago view
  • The problem with the September roster is all of the pitching changes. They should find a way to limit pitchers to twelve except for extra inning games. More pinch hitters or pinch runners do little to slow the game down and are more fun than endless calls to the bullpen. I also think the fans get cheated when they use position players to pitch because employed a half dozen pitchers with righty-lefty switches. Having as few as four positions players on the bench to start a game also leads to some pretty ugly defensive substitutions.

Non Roster Invitee 14 hours 14 min ago view
  • CHITOWNMVP01: Joe Nathan's 30-day Article XIX-C minor league rehab assignment expires tomorrow, but he doesn't have to be reinstated from the 60-day DL tomorrow.

Arizona Phil 14 hours 17 min ago view
  • Also, I think 40 man roster should be full, not at 39, unless I counted wrong. I'm in a hurry to leave the house.

chitownmvp01 14 hours 20 min ago view
  • Dexter Fowler is back! "You go, we go!"

He's being activated for tonight's game. Almora down and Montgomery replaces Patton.

Also, doesn't Nathan have to be activated tomorrow? Pitchers aren't allowed to spend more than 30 days of rehab and he was sent to rehab assignment on June 23rd. Tomorrow is July 23rd.

chitownmvp01 14 hours 28 min ago view
  • Yeah, last night was a bummer. I clicked on the espn Gamecast just in time to see the 5-2 score change to 5-5.

Their next 10 are Dodgers, Mets and Marlins.

• Arizona Phil 17 hours 52 min ago view