This Little Piggy Went to Iowa

Sean Marshall was supposed to start for the Iowa Cubs tonight against Albuquerque in Des Moines. Instead he's on his way to Pittsburgh, exchanging roster spots with Carmen Pignatiello. Apparently Lou Piniella huffed and puffed and blew 'Piggy' back to the minors after the southpaw showed his appreciation for making the big club by walking both hitters he faced in Monday's 10-8 torture tilt.

Comments

Boo. But oh well... he will be back at some point.

Not sure that I am a fan of wasting Marshall in the bullpen though.

Sorry guys. I see this news was posted earlier deep in the comments beneath the Billy Buck post. I was hoping to watch Marshall tonight. Gallagher is supposed to throw tomorrow, but the weather forecast is not good. Pretty short leash they had 'Piggy' on...

Strange move -- Marshall in the pen only diminishes his value, either to the Cubs or to someone else.

I'm not Sean is the the right guy for the job. I think his struggles in relief this spring proved that.

I've always thought it to be a general rule that soft tossing left-handers don't make good relievers. Of course there are exceptions to that, so maybe he'll do OK. I'm not particularly optimistic about it, though.

Cedeno starting tonight @ SS

Hope the fans in the first few rows in the RF boxes pay attention, one of his throws could give 'em a facial if they're not looking.

Yeah, boo. Piggy may have been terrible, but Marshall won't be appreciably better and his value, and much higher upside, are hurt by going back to the pen.

Way to go, Piniella! Sending Piggy down to Iowa after a few brief outings will surely teach him not to suck next time he gets called up. Clearly he wasn't aware that he was supposed to try to get outs.

And Marshall in the bullpen makes all sorts of sense.

I'm trying out sarcasm today.

• "The Boston Red Sox were banned from signing any international players for the next year and had five of their teenage prospects declared free agents on Friday after a Major League Baseball investigation showed they circumvented signing-bonus rules last year, a source familiar with the situation told Yahoo Sports."

Rob Richardson 1 hour 28 min ago view
  • The thing with Heyward is its not just free agency. He is way under performing his career #s. He's making the same % of contact but his soft contact is much higher and hard contact much lower than all his previous years so there is something very specifically going on this year causing the issues. Chances are he will eventually get back to his previous #s and it's better to get the slump now and get that hot run later but I wish I knew what is different about this year. He's either just not seeing the ball as well or a swing change is causing it.

johann 1 hour 43 min ago view
  • Only 3 pitches for Leathersich. Not much of a rehab outing.

Thanks for the reporting Phil.

QuietMan 1 hour 55 min ago view
  • He's the nastiest pitcher I've seen in awhile. I'm gonna give them all a mulligan on this one.

Coghlan's strike out was more disappointing. He was fighting off a lot of pitches and not swinging at crap, and on the last pitch, he swung at stuff he was laying off, and struck out.

And Heyward, too. I don't blame Heyward - I blame free agency. I hate it. You almost never get a valid return on the investment.

I look forward to the day when ball players own the teams. The current economics are not sustainable.

• Oh, I'm sure you're right. He's not 27-27 in saves for nothing. But, man, I hope they learned last night that he didn't throw a single pitch in the zone to KB, Contreras or Baez, and they all just kept swinging.

• Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.

• I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.

The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.

• I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable

cubbies.4ever 13 hours 56 min ago view
  • Did you expect anything different?

• Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?

• men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.

cubs lose :(

• UH OH! RALLY TIME!

• Getting tired of this Heywood weak sauce

jacos 15 hours 41 min ago view
  • Yep, can't say I disagree with that. His first batter and resulting walk was just brutal. Reminded me of a bit of Jacque Jones spiking his throws into the ground from RF.

Eric S 15 hours 50 min ago view

fixed that for ya.

• The use of Peralta in any semblance of a high leverage situation is questionable at best. Hind sight is easy but Peralta had nothing.

Eric S 16 hours 5 min ago view