MLB Open Draft Part Deux

A few weeks back, we had our draft for the TCR MLB Open league. We had enough willing participants for a seconds league and their draft was Saturday. I wasn't in this league, but reader "big lowitzki" is and provided me with the draft results. A quick reminder of the rules first:

H2H weekly play

No trades

Set your lineups weekly

Point system (Single = 1, Double = 2, Triple = 3, Home Run = 4, Run = 1, RBI = 1, Walk = 1, Stolen Base = 2, Caught Stealing = -1 )

Draft entire Pitching Staff, not individual pitchers (basically Wins, K's, ERA and WHIP are counted)

That's the basics, so let's see how they drafted.

It's a twelve team league and here's the owners/teams that joined, by draft order (please correct me if I'm wrong on the usernames).

Hondurascubs - a reader from Honduras that goes by Salvador

Lawhide - same as his username and the guy who wrote this guest article
Out of Bubblegum - We'll call him Bill
Junkie Cosmonauts - We'll call him Dan
McRipper - goes by the same username

The Tarnished Reps - Real Neal

Ted Lilly Fan Club - TLFC or his super computer, we're not sure

Take it in da Pujols - "asecrest"

The Big Lowitzki - the commish who missed his own draft
Northbrook Cubs - We'll call him Bob

Terpopouli2 - goes by Terpopouli
Starfighters of aldamur - "Wedge2"

So let's see how they did (click on the image for a larger version).

Draftchart

Since Big Lowitzki missed the draft I don't have any comments to give you on the picks, except how in holy hell did Hanley Ramirez make it to the 12th pick? Those who were there are certainly welcome to justify their draft in the comments though.

Otherwise our seasons start this week and I'll give periodic updates on both leagues throughout the year.

Comments

Our draft was part us, part Super Computer. You can probably guess where the Super Computer took over. Small hint - The horror of "owning" Juan Pierre has done serious damage to our sleep schedule... though Howie Kendrick in the later rounds was savvy move.

Big Lowitzki has the worst defensive team in history.

I hate picking 12th, but it was indeed nice that Hanley fell to me. What I don't love is how my outfield ended up. Good luck to all.

From the preview:
There's one No. 1 and four No. 4s. After ace Carlos Zambrano, the rotation doesn't scare anyone.

Rich Hill and Ted Lilly are number 4s now? And apparently on the same level as Marquis and Dempster? Gee.

Those 90-92 win predictions are nice...I think they're an 87 win team this year unless some moves are made.

Scary that all three of their experts picked us to win 90+ games and win the central. But...

"• The 100-year drought ends this season. OK, that's not a fact. But a palm tree that flowers once a century recently bloomed in Madagascar."

I like the parallel.

My prediction holds for both leagues: The team that ended up Pat Burrell will win.

Rays looking for an outfielder

but they're offering Edwin Jackson or Jason Hammel which don't help us much...

Just a couple of days to go and the Reds can't make decide who to cut. There's still 34 players on the roster (plus 2 on the DL) mostly because of Dusty's inability to shed moldy old veterans like Kent Mercker, Mike Stanton and Paul Bako.

Keeping NRI Bako would mean carrying three catchers, but then who's counting?

It gets worse. In true vintage Dusty style he's given LON-N-N-G looks and SERIOUS playing time (as in all 28 ST games) to Andy Phillips and Jolbert Cabrera who, he describes, as having such great springs they both should make the team.

Great? Well, Phillips has hit .295 .308 (.253 .294 career) and Cabrera .306 .327 (.258 .305 career). With OBP like that, it's no wonder DB & Company are having a hard time cutting the roster down to 25.

Glad it's someone else's problem. It will be nice seeing KPatt out there.

Andy Phillips is hitting .277 .294 in ST.

yea... missing my own draft. i suck.

and in turn got the "pleasure" of taking Prince Fielder over Hanley Ramirez.

I also suck and missed my draft gaining the pleasure of taking Fat Elvis over Ryan Braun and Jose Reyes. Awesome!!!!!!!! But as previously posted I got Pat Burrell so therefore I win.

Assuming "Fat Elvis" means Berkman and it was a snake-style draft, you didn't miss out on Braun or Reyes.

Somehow I didn't get any emails before the draft, so I didn't get to participate, but Supercomputer did a decent job picking for me for the most part. Thanks, Supercomputer!

• Who is this Arrieta guy? Can I get the old one back please?

The E-Man 57 min 36 sec ago view
  • Well, this is, once again, the whole season for the Sox.

billybucks 1 hour 1 min ago view
  • ...and the Bryant RBI jinx continues in the 3rd....crap.

• bryant's in the dugout filling a police report BECAUSE HE JUST GOT ROBBED.

f'n cabrerra...

• chapman showing up and available tomorrow night.

i'm sure he'll be a bit hit. hope he doesn't choke. dude has a rifle for an arm. he'll add a bit of punch to the bullpen.

• the 'crosstown classic' sure has lost it's magic with interleague. the excitement level is barely noticable...maybe it's a bit more hype in the city, itself.

• Well he didn't leave a mark so its not that bad.

Fuck that.

Facts:

He choked her.

Her brother tackled him to separate him.

He cooled off by shooting his gun in the garage.

I don't have to like him on the team I follow.

And you are others are free to not give a shit about his personal misgivings if you so choose as well.

• Sure, no marks and some inconsistencies in the witness's statements. But firing your gun into garage wall immediately after an argument and punching out your car window is still threatening and out of control behavior. There was certainly enough for MLB to think it warranted a 30-game suspension.

• I'd prefer they be flexible with the closing situation depending on matchups. You're not really adding a lefty reliever if you use him strictly as a closer.

• Stockpiling young talent isn't only for trading for someone like Chapman though. Even with an elite closer winning the World Series is basically a crap shoot so the key is to get to the playoffs as much as possible and not just mortgage everything on one year. Once you get there an elite bullpen certainly helps but the playoffs can be won by one hitter or starting pitcher getting hot (Murphy, Molina, Baumgardner) and a closer might not be able to stop that.

• I'm also not crazy about press convictions. As the police report noted, there were no marks on the lady in question. There's a TMZ link (of course) to her police pictures, as well.

I think the only way this trade goes real bad is if Cubbery intervenes and Chapman is suddenly bad for some reason.

• I am right there with you closing in on 60.

I don't care that much about "mortgaging" one player who is not only blocked by two guys, but is not ready to hit the majors for at least a couple years.

There is no reason why this team, this year, can't have a real shot at something NONE of us have experienced.

Further, I don't feel that even if they fall short that they have ruined their farm system.

I have made my opinion clear here, with others, Warren was shit on the Cubs save one spot start.

• Trading for Warren, Warren sucking, getting Warren back for Chapman plus 3 prospects, sounds like Revenge of The Yankees on the former Boston executive. Old rivalries never die.

I pray to the heavens above Chapman doesn't suck for some reason, or he'll be booed out of town faster than a Todd Hundley revival meeting.

• I'm kind of nostalgic for the Schwarber-for-Miller rumors.

Brick 7 hours 3 min ago view
  • This offseason, after some ridiculous playoff run and Chapman saving every game from here until the end of the postseason striking out 27/9innings, I welcome anyone to quote this thread and call me a dummy: I hate this trade, and my hate is 2 parts Chapman makes this team less likeable and 1 part that's a ridiculous overpay for 30 regular season innings and, at tops, 10 postseason innings. Already hoping they don't extend him.

• btw...Thanks AZ Phil. I'm really enjoying your take on this trade.

Cubster 7 hours 28 min ago view