MLB Open Draft Part Deux

A few weeks back, we had our draft for the TCR MLB Open league. We had enough willing participants for a seconds league and their draft was Saturday. I wasn't in this league, but reader "big lowitzki" is and provided me with the draft results. A quick reminder of the rules first:

H2H weekly play

No trades

Set your lineups weekly

Point system (Single = 1, Double = 2, Triple = 3, Home Run = 4, Run = 1, RBI = 1, Walk = 1, Stolen Base = 2, Caught Stealing = -1 )

Draft entire Pitching Staff, not individual pitchers (basically Wins, K's, ERA and WHIP are counted)

That's the basics, so let's see how they drafted.

It's a twelve team league and here's the owners/teams that joined, by draft order (please correct me if I'm wrong on the usernames).

Hondurascubs - a reader from Honduras that goes by Salvador

Lawhide - same as his username and the guy who wrote this guest article
Out of Bubblegum - We'll call him Bill
Junkie Cosmonauts - We'll call him Dan
McRipper - goes by the same username

The Tarnished Reps - Real Neal

Ted Lilly Fan Club - TLFC or his super computer, we're not sure

Take it in da Pujols - "asecrest"

The Big Lowitzki - the commish who missed his own draft
Northbrook Cubs - We'll call him Bob

Terpopouli2 - goes by Terpopouli
Starfighters of aldamur - "Wedge2"

So let's see how they did (click on the image for a larger version).

Draftchart

Since Big Lowitzki missed the draft I don't have any comments to give you on the picks, except how in holy hell did Hanley Ramirez make it to the 12th pick? Those who were there are certainly welcome to justify their draft in the comments though.

Otherwise our seasons start this week and I'll give periodic updates on both leagues throughout the year.

Comments

Our draft was part us, part Super Computer. You can probably guess where the Super Computer took over. Small hint - The horror of "owning" Juan Pierre has done serious damage to our sleep schedule... though Howie Kendrick in the later rounds was savvy move.

Big Lowitzki has the worst defensive team in history.

I hate picking 12th, but it was indeed nice that Hanley fell to me. What I don't love is how my outfield ended up. Good luck to all.

From the preview:
There's one No. 1 and four No. 4s. After ace Carlos Zambrano, the rotation doesn't scare anyone.

Rich Hill and Ted Lilly are number 4s now? And apparently on the same level as Marquis and Dempster? Gee.

Those 90-92 win predictions are nice...I think they're an 87 win team this year unless some moves are made.

Scary that all three of their experts picked us to win 90+ games and win the central. But...

"• The 100-year drought ends this season. OK, that's not a fact. But a palm tree that flowers once a century recently bloomed in Madagascar."

I like the parallel.

My prediction holds for both leagues: The team that ended up Pat Burrell will win.

Rays looking for an outfielder

but they're offering Edwin Jackson or Jason Hammel which don't help us much...

Just a couple of days to go and the Reds can't make decide who to cut. There's still 34 players on the roster (plus 2 on the DL) mostly because of Dusty's inability to shed moldy old veterans like Kent Mercker, Mike Stanton and Paul Bako.

Keeping NRI Bako would mean carrying three catchers, but then who's counting?

It gets worse. In true vintage Dusty style he's given LON-N-N-G looks and SERIOUS playing time (as in all 28 ST games) to Andy Phillips and Jolbert Cabrera who, he describes, as having such great springs they both should make the team.

Great? Well, Phillips has hit .295 .308 (.253 .294 career) and Cabrera .306 .327 (.258 .305 career). With OBP like that, it's no wonder DB & Company are having a hard time cutting the roster down to 25.

Glad it's someone else's problem. It will be nice seeing KPatt out there.

Andy Phillips is hitting .277 .294 in ST.

yea... missing my own draft. i suck.

and in turn got the "pleasure" of taking Prince Fielder over Hanley Ramirez.

I also suck and missed my draft gaining the pleasure of taking Fat Elvis over Ryan Braun and Jose Reyes. Awesome!!!!!!!! But as previously posted I got Pat Burrell so therefore I win.

Assuming "Fat Elvis" means Berkman and it was a snake-style draft, you didn't miss out on Braun or Reyes.

Somehow I didn't get any emails before the draft, so I didn't get to participate, but Supercomputer did a decent job picking for me for the most part. Thanks, Supercomputer!

• Richard DFA'd. Meh...

• Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.

• The next 2 games are nationally televised. I think we dominate tonight, hitting 3 HRs off Shields. Great night for KB to end HR drought facing HR prone pitcher in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league.

chitownmvp01 5 hours 24 min ago view
  • If the ball didn't deflect off the pitcher's mound, the game wouldn't have ended. Montgomery did miss his location though, but if that same contact was made and went in any of direction, good chance of ground out if it doesn't get through.

If it was 1 night later, Chapman would be out there and we probably would be going to extras.

Also, If KB wasn't robbed of a HR, perhaps we would have won. We will never know. Nice play by Melky though.

chitownmvp01 5 hours 26 min ago view
  • The comparison isn't Chapman replacing Rondon. It's Chapman replacing Richard (hopefully) in the pen. Chapman's better.

• I'm with you, Rob. You pretty much summed up how I feel about it.

JoePepitone 9 hours 43 min ago view
  • Been quite the roller-coaster the past two days -- both games, plus the Chapman kerfuffel. How about a couple of nice, comfortable wins before facing Sale? Cubs should definitely wear throwbacks for that game.

• The Cubs are stronger defensively than most of the teams they play. In order to capitalize on that, they have to a) put the ball in play and b) run the bases aggressively.

That said, Cabrera has a strong, accurate arm, as witnessed by his 97 outfield assists over 12 seasons--mostly left field but also a lot of center. Bryant is rarely thrown out, but I guess you have to know who's throwing the ball.

VirginiaPhil 11 hours 31 min ago view
  • On the other hand, Pries won his first start for Iowa, only giving up two HRs in the process. This trade has got some legs yet!

Eric S 20 hours 40 min ago view
  • KB now with 0 RBI in his last 10 games and 1 in his last 15, despite having 19 hits in his last 15 games and raising his batting average from .278 to .286 over that span.

Maybe have Zobrist hit 2 and KB hit 4?

Also -- no HR in the last 15 games -- time for a bunch. Starting tomorrow.

• Down a run. Fowler on first. Nobody out. KB singles to left, Fowler makes it to third, perfect throw from Cabrera nails KB trying to stretch for 2nd.

So, instead of 1st & 3rd and no out, you have 3rd with one out. It was a perfect throw, but why take the chance with 3-4-5 hitters coming up?

• Must be a Cub thing - our lefties can;t get lefties out.

• Splitting hairs, but Jake's pitch was poor execution, while KB's play was a poor decision (and the 2nd time he got thrown out trying to stretch in the game). Poor execution happens. Poor decisions are preventable. Speaking of poor decisions -- Baez's steal of 3rd made absolutely no sense.

• Didn't Jake cost them the game with a pitch to Frazier?

• Missed the play w/Bryant. What happened?

• Not a good decision by Bryant in the 9th. That may have cost them the game.