Rich Hill Deal Completed

As expected, the deal to move Rich Hill to the Baltimore Orioles has gone down for the very important player to be named later. Let's hope it's another Kevin Hart. The report is coming out of ESPN1000 and the Cubs version of Ken Rosenthal...Bruce Levine.

Comments

Has nothing to do with this post, but since there have been numerous discussions lately about the Cubs farm system and draft history, I thought you might all be interested in this article at Hardball Times:

It's an analysis of the general productivity of position players vs. pitchers in the earliest rounds of the draft--and it concludes that drafting position players early makes the most sense according to the numbers. Bobby Brownlie and Mark Pawelek concur. Tyler Colvin isn't sure yet.

Bye Rich Hill...had one decent season anyway...

I have to believe the point of this trade is for past or future favors. Hill wasn't sharp last year, but he could very well pitch major league ball this year and what we'll get in return will likely be a dime-a-dozen low-level prospect at best.

pie..hill..cedeno...bye

140m payroll with little expectations from the minors beyond SP/RP...hello.

welcome to boston.

Dustin Pedroia says hi

i can see hanley ramirez from my house.

21ip 23h 23bb 16K 7wp

what a winter...bye hill.

Why not keep Hill into spring training? He certainly couldn't do any worse and if he does well, we could get more or even keep him. It is being reported that we will only get a low level prospect. I don't understand this move at this time. Also, why are we helping McPhail when he screwed us around all last off season over Roberts? I understand that Hill's pitching coach is with Baltimore, but all the more reason why we should have gotten more than a presumed low level prospect. I know it is for a player to be named later, but I think the parameters for the player are not that great.

hill's value is probably toileted in reality.

there's not much to build on after a horrible minor league send-down followed by an inexcusably bad winter.

the chances of his value rising when ST rolls around and lou/etc. have to find work for everyone is pretty low...especially since hendry/lou/etc. seem to want Samninja starting some games this spring.

Wasn't it Angelos who refused to part with Roberts?

I remember Angelos killing the deal...you are correct.

If people are really going to question losing Hill for a low level prospect, I propose this questions...Do you really not think his curve ball and mediocre fast ball are replaceable?

Good luck Rich. If you come back, that will be a great story...but I sure don't want to sit around watching you walk every mediocre batter when we play Pittsburgh and Cincinnati.

i think what killed the deal was the Cubs not wanting to include Felix Pie along with 3 or 4 other prospects (including Sean Gallagher). All the reports out of Baltimore were that the deal never got to Angelos.

hill has a very low chance of ever regaining his form. And even then, didn't he only have like 2 pitches? He's completely screwed up in the head now. Can't hit water if he fell out of a f'ing boat.

And helping McPhail? Seriously? All I've gotta say is that I'd be super pissed if I were an Orioles fan. My GM has a man crush on his shitty prospects he had back in the day that all flopped with the Cubs. If I were the owner I'd be writing McPhail an email.. Dear McPhail, you are hereby banned from calling Jim Hendry without written permission.

new post up, Wuertz traded to A's

Agreed TJ...exactly what i was saying last few days. If we got the perverbial PTBNL wouldn't it be more of an upside to find out if he sucks in spring training and get the PTBNL later...it's going to be bad news if he turns it around in spring training and Harden gets hurt oh wait he is..or Dempster becomes a pumpkin again!

Good luck to Hill, IMO he wasn't worth a spot on the 40 man given his poor performances in 2008 (demoted all the way to rookie ball) and terrible winter ball results (pelted with trash in Latin America.) I wouldn't put him on a par with Sudden Sam McDowell in terms of potential but it sure would be a sad thing to waste if it turns out that way.

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 1 hour 2 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

The E-Man 1 hour 29 min ago view
  • Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 2 hours 42 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 2 hours 43 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 2 hours 45 min ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 2 hours 48 min ago view
  • La Stella at 2B...Baez at 3B, or vice versa. Zobrist in RF, Bryant in LF No one gets bumped.

Dusty Baylor 2 hours 56 min ago view
  • If Coghlan is leading off, I assume Fowler is getting the day off. Who is supposed to lead off, then? Someone has to get on base for Bryant and Rizzo. Coghlan's OBP is .346 with the Cubs. Jackson's was .304. LaStella can lead off, but then he has to play second or third, and bump Zobrist or Baez.

Unless he gets hot, Coghlan will likely change places with Soler soon.

VirginiaPhil 2 hours 58 min ago view
  • I suspect the Cubs asked Chris Coghlan if he would accept an Optional Assignment to the minors and he refused (Coghlan has one minor league option left), so either you keep LaStella on the 25 and release Coghlan, or option LaStella to AAA for about a month and have both LaStella and Coghlan available in September-October. (As an Article XIX-A player, Coghlan must give his permission before he can be optioned to the minors, while LaStella has not accrued enough MLB Service Time to refuse an optional assignment).

Arizona Phil 3 hours 18 min ago view
  • Given today's lineup -- maybe they just wanted an extra OF to give Dexter a few days off (i.e. day game after a night game).

• Tommy LaStella has three minor leaue options left so it's no big deal to send him to Iowa, but as of right now he projects to be at 2+124 MLB Service Time by the end of the of the 2016 MLB regular season, which will place him "on the bubble" as far as being eligible for salary arbitration as a "Super Two" post-2016.

But if he spends at least twenty days on optional assignment this season (anything less than twenty days and he will accrue a full season of MLB Service Time), he will not have enough MLB Service Time to have a chance to be a "Super Two."

Arizona Phil 3 hours 32 min ago view
  • this will be his 4th time leading off for the cubs this season...WITH A .500 OB%! HAIL MADDON! THE PLAN (c)2016! HE HAS RISEN! #YOLO #SWAG! KONY 2012!

• I don't hate Coghlan as a PHer but he's leading off today which is as bad as Austin Jackson doing so last year. He doesn't even have the speed.

• TLS has options. He will be up again in Sept, and maybe earlier.

Rob Richardson 4 hours 39 min ago view
  • Very odd -- TLS .308/.419 in July (in 26 AB). Strange move for a team struggling to score runs. Hard to imagine Coghlan doing better than that. Maybe they like Coghlan better as a PH?