Rich Hill Deal Completed

As expected, the deal to move Rich Hill to the Baltimore Orioles has gone down for the very important player to be named later. Let's hope it's another Kevin Hart. The report is coming out of ESPN1000 and the Cubs version of Ken Rosenthal...Bruce Levine.

Comments

Has nothing to do with this post, but since there have been numerous discussions lately about the Cubs farm system and draft history, I thought you might all be interested in this article at Hardball Times:

It's an analysis of the general productivity of position players vs. pitchers in the earliest rounds of the draft--and it concludes that drafting position players early makes the most sense according to the numbers. Bobby Brownlie and Mark Pawelek concur. Tyler Colvin isn't sure yet.

Bye Rich Hill...had one decent season anyway...

I have to believe the point of this trade is for past or future favors. Hill wasn't sharp last year, but he could very well pitch major league ball this year and what we'll get in return will likely be a dime-a-dozen low-level prospect at best.

pie..hill..cedeno...bye

140m payroll with little expectations from the minors beyond SP/RP...hello.

welcome to boston.

Dustin Pedroia says hi

i can see hanley ramirez from my house.

21ip 23h 23bb 16K 7wp

what a winter...bye hill.

Why not keep Hill into spring training? He certainly couldn't do any worse and if he does well, we could get more or even keep him. It is being reported that we will only get a low level prospect. I don't understand this move at this time. Also, why are we helping McPhail when he screwed us around all last off season over Roberts? I understand that Hill's pitching coach is with Baltimore, but all the more reason why we should have gotten more than a presumed low level prospect. I know it is for a player to be named later, but I think the parameters for the player are not that great.

hill's value is probably toileted in reality.

there's not much to build on after a horrible minor league send-down followed by an inexcusably bad winter.

the chances of his value rising when ST rolls around and lou/etc. have to find work for everyone is pretty low...especially since hendry/lou/etc. seem to want Samninja starting some games this spring.

Wasn't it Angelos who refused to part with Roberts?

I remember Angelos killing the deal...you are correct.

If people are really going to question losing Hill for a low level prospect, I propose this questions...Do you really not think his curve ball and mediocre fast ball are replaceable?

Good luck Rich. If you come back, that will be a great story...but I sure don't want to sit around watching you walk every mediocre batter when we play Pittsburgh and Cincinnati.

i think what killed the deal was the Cubs not wanting to include Felix Pie along with 3 or 4 other prospects (including Sean Gallagher). All the reports out of Baltimore were that the deal never got to Angelos.

hill has a very low chance of ever regaining his form. And even then, didn't he only have like 2 pitches? He's completely screwed up in the head now. Can't hit water if he fell out of a f'ing boat.

And helping McPhail? Seriously? All I've gotta say is that I'd be super pissed if I were an Orioles fan. My GM has a man crush on his shitty prospects he had back in the day that all flopped with the Cubs. If I were the owner I'd be writing McPhail an email.. Dear McPhail, you are hereby banned from calling Jim Hendry without written permission.

new post up, Wuertz traded to A's

Agreed TJ...exactly what i was saying last few days. If we got the perverbial PTBNL wouldn't it be more of an upside to find out if he sucks in spring training and get the PTBNL later...it's going to be bad news if he turns it around in spring training and Harden gets hurt oh wait he is..or Dempster becomes a pumpkin again!

Good luck to Hill, IMO he wasn't worth a spot on the 40 man given his poor performances in 2008 (demoted all the way to rookie ball) and terrible winter ball results (pelted with trash in Latin America.) I wouldn't put him on a par with Sudden Sam McDowell in terms of potential but it sure would be a sad thing to waste if it turns out that way.

• ...and the Bryant RBI jinx continues in the 3rd....crap.

billybucks 21 min 42 sec ago view
  • bryant's in the dugout filling a police report BECAUSE HE JUST GOT ROBBED.

f'n cabrerra...

crunch 59 min 11 sec ago view
  • chapman showing up and available tomorrow night.

i'm sure he'll be a bit hit. hope he doesn't choke. dude has a rifle for an arm. he'll add a bit of punch to the bullpen.

crunch 1 hour 16 sec ago view
  • the 'crosstown classic' sure has lost it's magic with interleague. the excitement level is barely noticable...maybe it's a bit more hype in the city, itself.

crunch 1 hour 4 min ago view
  • Well he didn't leave a mark so its not that bad.

Fuck that.

Facts:

He choked her.

Her brother tackled him to separate him.

He cooled off by shooting his gun in the garage.

I don't have to like him on the team I follow.

And you are others are free to not give a shit about his personal misgivings if you so choose as well.

Rob G. 1 hour 23 min ago view
  • Sure, no marks and some inconsistencies in the witness's statements. But firing your gun into garage wall immediately after an argument and punching out your car window is still threatening and out of control behavior. There was certainly enough for MLB to think it warranted a 30-game suspension.

• I'd prefer they be flexible with the closing situation depending on matchups. You're not really adding a lefty reliever if you use him strictly as a closer.

• Stockpiling young talent isn't only for trading for someone like Chapman though. Even with an elite closer winning the World Series is basically a crap shoot so the key is to get to the playoffs as much as possible and not just mortgage everything on one year. Once you get there an elite bullpen certainly helps but the playoffs can be won by one hitter or starting pitcher getting hot (Murphy, Molina, Baumgardner) and a closer might not be able to stop that.

• I'm also not crazy about press convictions. As the police report noted, there were no marks on the lady in question. There's a TMZ link (of course) to her police pictures, as well.

I think the only way this trade goes real bad is if Cubbery intervenes and Chapman is suddenly bad for some reason.

• I am right there with you closing in on 60.

I don't care that much about "mortgaging" one player who is not only blocked by two guys, but is not ready to hit the majors for at least a couple years.

There is no reason why this team, this year, can't have a real shot at something NONE of us have experienced.

Further, I don't feel that even if they fall short that they have ruined their farm system.

I have made my opinion clear here, with others, Warren was shit on the Cubs save one spot start.

• Trading for Warren, Warren sucking, getting Warren back for Chapman plus 3 prospects, sounds like Revenge of The Yankees on the former Boston executive. Old rivalries never die.

I pray to the heavens above Chapman doesn't suck for some reason, or he'll be booed out of town faster than a Todd Hundley revival meeting.

• I'm kind of nostalgic for the Schwarber-for-Miller rumors.

Brick 4 hours 51 min ago view
  • This offseason, after some ridiculous playoff run and Chapman saving every game from here until the end of the postseason striking out 27/9innings, I welcome anyone to quote this thread and call me a dummy: I hate this trade, and my hate is 2 parts Chapman makes this team less likeable and 1 part that's a ridiculous overpay for 30 regular season innings and, at tops, 10 postseason innings. Already hoping they don't extend him.

• btw...Thanks AZ Phil. I'm really enjoying your take on this trade.

Cubster 5 hours 15 min ago view
  • I'm a bit disappointed on the Warren experience. Essentially they gave Castro away for crickets (OK, well they signed Zobrist with the Castro salary dump). Otherwise one might look at it as Chapman for Castro and our #1 minors prospect (Torres) + McKinney/Crawford. Seems pricey for a 2 month rental. We will see if this price tag is that steep in a relative way based on the remaining deadline deals for relievers.

Cubster 5 hours 16 min ago view
  • Yep. One of the great things about this team (in addition to being really good at baseball) was the "likable" factor. Feels a bit different now. Who knows...maybe Chapman will be the king of the dance parties.