The Cubs Club--New! Improved! And Profitable as Hell!!!

"Cubs Club is the online fan club for die-hard Cubs fans. Members
receive many exclusive benefits such as a subscription to 2009 MLB.com
Gameday Audio, ticket opportunities, special merchandise offers and
much more. New for 2009: Be sure to check out this year's two new levels of membership."

--Cubs.com

You don't have to check out the two new levels of Cubs Club membership; Ed Sherman, posting on his blog for Crain's Chicago Business, has checked them out for you:

For a fee of $249, the Cubs Club Marquee level gives the member a
chance to purchase up to 12 tickets in a special Marquee level pre-sale.

For $129, the Cubs Club Ivy Membership levels allow fans to purchase up to four seats in a special Ivy pre-sale.

Do
you think there might be a few fans who will sign up for the first
crack at tickets for the White Sox and St. Louis games? It sure beats
freezing your tail off or paying premium prices for a ticket broker.

Of course, it just might be that some of those new Marquee and Ivy members of the Cubs Club will be amateur ticket speculators and professional ticket brokers, right? Well, no matter, says Matthew Wszolek, the Cubs' Director of Sales and Promotions.

"We're aware that possibility exists, but we truly feel this is
something that Cubs fans desire, and it's an opportunity we want to
provide," Mr. Wszolek said.

According to Wszolek, the Cubs are going to cap the number of Marquee and Ivy members of the Cubs Club at somewhere between 4,000 and 5,000--which should be good for additional revenue to the Cubs of somewhere between $520,000 and $1.25 million.

I presume the team's supply of Cubs Club membership cards and stickers, which have been and remain part of the Standard Cubs Club membership ($19.95), is virtually limitless.

Comments

a scalper tariff. neat.

...or a sam's club/cosco for scalpers...whatever...

I like the phrase 'gives a chance'. Does that mean you'll certainly get those tickets or that you will be in some lottery for 400 tickets with 4000 other members?

Club collects additional fees to give fans the chance to buy tickets at face value. Profit for the club, but just as important, drives up prices in the secondary market without having to raise face value at all.

If there were as much ingenuity applied to running the team on the field, the 100-year drought would have ended a long time ago. The Cubbies have come a long way since their promotional creativity consisted of Ladies Day and not much else.

mmmmmm Ladies day

I believe they got this idea from the Red Sox and their membership for Red Sox nation.

With old small ballparks you need to be creative.

The Cubs have come a long way. When I was growing up, Wrigley (P.K. -- not William) GAVE season passes to the grandstands to each and every high school area baseball player.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 13 min 52 sec ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 37 min 32 sec ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

crunch 49 min 47 sec ago view
  • bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 10 hours 45 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 10 hours 55 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 11 hours 14 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.

• Thank you for your answer.

#baseballtalk

Tito 11 hours 24 min ago view
  • bless your heart.

• I don't recall you answering my question about quantifying how it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this season, apart from one guy scoring on a sac fly. Can you direct me to your answer? Thanks.

#baseballtalk