The Cubs Club--New! Improved! And Profitable as Hell!!!

"Cubs Club is the online fan club for die-hard Cubs fans. Members
receive many exclusive benefits such as a subscription to 2009 MLB.com
Gameday Audio, ticket opportunities, special merchandise offers and
much more. New for 2009: Be sure to check out this year's two new levels of membership."

--Cubs.com

You don't have to check out the two new levels of Cubs Club membership; Ed Sherman, posting on his blog for Crain's Chicago Business, has checked them out for you:

For a fee of $249, the Cubs Club Marquee level gives the member a
chance to purchase up to 12 tickets in a special Marquee level pre-sale.

For $129, the Cubs Club Ivy Membership levels allow fans to purchase up to four seats in a special Ivy pre-sale.

Do
you think there might be a few fans who will sign up for the first
crack at tickets for the White Sox and St. Louis games? It sure beats
freezing your tail off or paying premium prices for a ticket broker.

Of course, it just might be that some of those new Marquee and Ivy members of the Cubs Club will be amateur ticket speculators and professional ticket brokers, right? Well, no matter, says Matthew Wszolek, the Cubs' Director of Sales and Promotions.

"We're aware that possibility exists, but we truly feel this is
something that Cubs fans desire, and it's an opportunity we want to
provide," Mr. Wszolek said.

According to Wszolek, the Cubs are going to cap the number of Marquee and Ivy members of the Cubs Club at somewhere between 4,000 and 5,000--which should be good for additional revenue to the Cubs of somewhere between $520,000 and $1.25 million.

I presume the team's supply of Cubs Club membership cards and stickers, which have been and remain part of the Standard Cubs Club membership ($19.95), is virtually limitless.

Comments

a scalper tariff. neat.

...or a sam's club/cosco for scalpers...whatever...

I like the phrase 'gives a chance'. Does that mean you'll certainly get those tickets or that you will be in some lottery for 400 tickets with 4000 other members?

Club collects additional fees to give fans the chance to buy tickets at face value. Profit for the club, but just as important, drives up prices in the secondary market without having to raise face value at all.

If there were as much ingenuity applied to running the team on the field, the 100-year drought would have ended a long time ago. The Cubbies have come a long way since their promotional creativity consisted of Ladies Day and not much else.

mmmmmm Ladies day

I believe they got this idea from the Red Sox and their membership for Red Sox nation.

With old small ballparks you need to be creative.

The Cubs have come a long way. When I was growing up, Wrigley (P.K. -- not William) GAVE season passes to the grandstands to each and every high school area baseball player.

• "The Boston Red Sox were banned from signing any international players for the next year and had five of their teenage prospects declared free agents on Friday after a Major League Baseball investigation showed they circumvented signing-bonus rules last year, a source familiar with the situation told Yahoo Sports."

Rob Richardson 1 hour 45 min ago view
  • The thing with Heyward is its not just free agency. He is way under performing his career #s. He's making the same % of contact but his soft contact is much higher and hard contact much lower than all his previous years so there is something very specifically going on this year causing the issues. Chances are he will eventually get back to his previous #s and it's better to get the slump now and get that hot run later but I wish I knew what is different about this year. He's either just not seeing the ball as well or a swing change is causing it.

johann 2 hours 50 sec ago view
  • Only 3 pitches for Leathersich. Not much of a rehab outing.

Thanks for the reporting Phil.

QuietMan 2 hours 13 min ago view
  • He's the nastiest pitcher I've seen in awhile. I'm gonna give them all a mulligan on this one.

Coghlan's strike out was more disappointing. He was fighting off a lot of pitches and not swinging at crap, and on the last pitch, he swung at stuff he was laying off, and struck out.

And Heyward, too. I don't blame Heyward - I blame free agency. I hate it. You almost never get a valid return on the investment.

I look forward to the day when ball players own the teams. The current economics are not sustainable.

• Oh, I'm sure you're right. He's not 27-27 in saves for nothing. But, man, I hope they learned last night that he didn't throw a single pitch in the zone to KB, Contreras or Baez, and they all just kept swinging.

• Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.

• I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.

The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.

• I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable

cubbies.4ever 14 hours 13 min ago view
  • Did you expect anything different?

• Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?

• men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.

cubs lose :(

• UH OH! RALLY TIME!

• Getting tired of this Heywood weak sauce

jacos 15 hours 59 min ago view
  • Yep, can't say I disagree with that. His first batter and resulting walk was just brutal. Reminded me of a bit of Jacque Jones spiking his throws into the ground from RF.

Eric S 16 hours 7 min ago view

fixed that for ya.

• The use of Peralta in any semblance of a high leverage situation is questionable at best. Hind sight is easy but Peralta had nothing.

Eric S 16 hours 22 min ago view