More Errors at Salt River Fields Than Can Be Imagined in Your Philosophy
Emerson Jimenez (2012 NDFA - Dominican Republic - $275K bonus) stroked a two-run single and David Bergin and Miguel Dilone followed with RBI triples to highlight a four-run 3rd inning, Hamlet Marte belted an RBI triple in the 6th and doubled and scored in the 8th, Marcos Derkes collected three hits, stole a base, scored a run, and drove-in another, and Ryan Garvey blasted a two-run home run, leading the Rockies to a 9-6 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action thiis morning on Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Kevin Brown (a double and three walks) and Zak Blair (two singles and two walks) reached base four times a piece for the Cubs in a losing cause. (The Cubs left 11 men on base and had three runners thrown out on the bases).
The two teams combined to commit nine errors, including six by the Cubs and three by the Rockies.
Casper Wells (back spasms) continued his EXST rehab, serving as a DH and batting five times (once in each of the first five innings). He drew a two-out walk in the 1st inning, reached base on an HBP in the 2nd, lined out to 2nd base in the 3rd, ripped a two-run double down the LF line in the 4th and then later scored on a Ricardo Marcano RBI single, and struck out (swinging) on a 1-2 slider (from a LHP) in the 5th.
In EXST roster news, OF Jorge Soler (hamstring) has completed his rehab assignment at Extended Spring Training and will be rejoining AA Tennessee. In seven EXST Cactus League games (34 Plate Appearances), Soler hit 179/265/214 with five hits (four singles and a double), one walk, three HBP, five strikeouts, two sacrifice flies, five RBI, and one stolen base.
Also, RHP Michael Wagner has been moved up to Kane County from Extended Spring Training. The 22-year old 6'4 200 Wagner was the Cubs 15th round pick in last June's MLB First-Year Player Draft out of the University of San Diego, where he was the USD closer, second-team All-American, and a teammate of Cubs mega-prospect Kris Bryant.
THE PITCHING LINES FROM MICHAEL WAGNER'S FIVE 2014 CACTUS LEAGUE EXST OUTINGS:
4/14 - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/4 GO/FO, 24 pitches (15 strikes)
4/18 - 1.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
4/21 - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/1 GO/FO, 38 pitches (20 strikes)
4/26 - INTRASQUAD GAME
4/29 - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 17 pitches (12 strikes)
5/2 - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/FO, 31 pitches (20 strikes)
TOTAL: 9.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 10 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 7/10 GO/FO, 62% strikes, 1.92 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, .222 OppBA
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
X. Casper Wells, DH #1: 1-3 (BB, HBP, L-4, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
NOTE: Wells batted 3rd in the top of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings
1. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-5 (4-3, 6-3, K, 1-3, F-8)
2. Justin Marra, 1B-C: 0-5 (3-U, 3-U, F-9, F-7, F-8)
3. Kevin Brown, 3B: 1-1 (2B, BB, BB, BB, CS, PO)
4. Alberto Mineo, DH-1B: 1-4 (3-U, 1B, K, K, R)
5. Antonio Valerio, C-DH: 0-2 (F-7, BB, BB, K, R)
6. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-3 (HBP, 6-3, F-7, E-5, 2 R)
7. Zak Blair, 2B: 2-2 (BB, BB, 1B, 1B, RBI, PO)
8. Arnaldo Calero, LF: 1-4 (K, K, K, 2B, R)
9. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 1-2 (BB, 1B, BB, L-7, 2 RBI)
1. Hector Perez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 41 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Luis Hernandez: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 4/2 GO/FO, 48 pitches (35 strikes)
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 3/1 GO/FO, 42 pitches (29 strikes)
4. Corbin Hoffner: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 4/1 GO/FO, 19 pitches (15 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 6
1. 2B Zak Blair - E-4 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base - 1B+E4)
2, 2B Zak Blair - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. P. Luis Hernandez - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed baserunner to advance to 3rd)
4. LF Arnaldo Calero - E-7 (missed catch - dropped line-drive allowing batter to reach 2nd base safely)
5. P Jasvir Rakkar - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 3rd)
6. C Justin Marra: E-2 (errant return throw to pitcher after pitch allowed runner at 3rd base to score)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Antonio Valerio: 1-2 CS
2. Justin Marra: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 70's
FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.
Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.
White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo
it was between that and "more like the CRUNCH REALLY EARLY AM REPORTER because i'm gonna c.r.e.am all over this place."
i chose the classy route.
This picture is everything.
that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌👌🎩👓🎩👍🎩👓🎩👍🎩 euphoric logic !euphoric loGic👌 thats ✔ some euphoric👌💻 logic right👌💻there👌👍👌 Carl 🔭 Sagan🌌💫if i do ƽaү so gentlemen 💯 i say so 💯 thats euPhoric logic right there Richard 📒 Dawkins🎩 (chorus: socrates died for this shit) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👓👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌🎩 👌 💯 👌 👓🎩🎩🎩 👍👌euphoric logic slam me the FUCK uP 👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 john cena JOhN cEna
You can start the CRUNCH EARLY AM REPORTER. Then you can blog to yourself, and argue with yourself about Jon Lester.
my current job has me coming in at 7am (eastern)...i miss staying up til 2am to watch west coast games.
Remember when west coast road trips were a good time to catch up on some reading?
Taboola field is more appropriate.
we can only hope...
The things you have to do to pay for James Shields contract.
I wonder if they'll have to make use of the Guaranteed Rate logo, which is a giant red arrow pointing downward.
unsurprisingly, the White Sox continue a tradition of stupid stuff....
@DannyEcker BREAKING: Guaranteed Rate has purchased naming rights to U.S. Cellular Field. Will be known as Guaranteed Rate Field thru 2030.
that was a very kind 3rd strike to hendricks to end the 3rd.
man on 3rd, 0 outs and got 2 pop-ups and a K...Maddux-lite indeed
how did Fowler not score from 2nd on a double?
by making bad decisions...