More Errors at Salt River Fields Than Can Be Imagined in Your Philosophy
Emerson Jimenez (2012 NDFA - Dominican Republic - $275K bonus) stroked a two-run single and David Bergin and Miguel Dilone followed with RBI triples to highlight a four-run 3rd inning, Hamlet Marte belted an RBI triple in the 6th and doubled and scored in the 8th, Marcos Derkes collected three hits, stole a base, scored a run, and drove-in another, and Ryan Garvey blasted a two-run home run, leading the Rockies to a 9-6 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action thiis morning on Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Kevin Brown (a double and three walks) and Zak Blair (two singles and two walks) reached base four times a piece for the Cubs in a losing cause. (The Cubs left 11 men on base and had three runners thrown out on the bases).
The two teams combined to commit nine errors, including six by the Cubs and three by the Rockies.
Casper Wells (back spasms) continued his EXST rehab, serving as a DH and batting five times (once in each of the first five innings). He drew a two-out walk in the 1st inning, reached base on an HBP in the 2nd, lined out to 2nd base in the 3rd, ripped a two-run double down the LF line in the 4th and then later scored on a Ricardo Marcano RBI single, and struck out (swinging) on a 1-2 slider (from a LHP) in the 5th.
In EXST roster news, OF Jorge Soler (hamstring) has completed his rehab assignment at Extended Spring Training and will be rejoining AA Tennessee. In seven EXST Cactus League games (34 Plate Appearances), Soler hit 179/265/214 with five hits (four singles and a double), one walk, three HBP, five strikeouts, two sacrifice flies, five RBI, and one stolen base.
Also, RHP Michael Wagner has been moved up to Kane County from Extended Spring Training. The 22-year old 6'4 200 Wagner was the Cubs 15th round pick in last June's MLB First-Year Player Draft out of the University of San Diego, where he was the USD closer, second-team All-American, and a teammate of Cubs mega-prospect Kris Bryant.
THE PITCHING LINES FROM MICHAEL WAGNER'S FIVE 2014 CACTUS LEAGUE EXST OUTINGS:
4/14 - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/4 GO/FO, 24 pitches (15 strikes)
4/18 - 1.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
4/21 - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/1 GO/FO, 38 pitches (20 strikes)
4/26 - INTRASQUAD GAME
4/29 - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 17 pitches (12 strikes)
5/2 - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/FO, 31 pitches (20 strikes)
TOTAL: 9.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 10 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 7/10 GO/FO, 62% strikes, 1.92 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, .222 OppBA
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
X. Casper Wells, DH #1: 1-3 (BB, HBP, L-4, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
NOTE: Wells batted 3rd in the top of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings
1. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-5 (4-3, 6-3, K, 1-3, F-8)
2. Justin Marra, 1B-C: 0-5 (3-U, 3-U, F-9, F-7, F-8)
3. Kevin Brown, 3B: 1-1 (2B, BB, BB, BB, CS, PO)
4. Alberto Mineo, DH-1B: 1-4 (3-U, 1B, K, K, R)
5. Antonio Valerio, C-DH: 0-2 (F-7, BB, BB, K, R)
6. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-3 (HBP, 6-3, F-7, E-5, 2 R)
7. Zak Blair, 2B: 2-2 (BB, BB, 1B, 1B, RBI, PO)
8. Arnaldo Calero, LF: 1-4 (K, K, K, 2B, R)
9. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 1-2 (BB, 1B, BB, L-7, 2 RBI)
1. Hector Perez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 41 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Luis Hernandez: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 4/2 GO/FO, 48 pitches (35 strikes)
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 3/1 GO/FO, 42 pitches (29 strikes)
4. Corbin Hoffner: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 4/1 GO/FO, 19 pitches (15 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 6
1. 2B Zak Blair - E-4 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base - 1B+E4)
2, 2B Zak Blair - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. P. Luis Hernandez - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed baserunner to advance to 3rd)
4. LF Arnaldo Calero - E-7 (missed catch - dropped line-drive allowing batter to reach 2nd base safely)
5. P Jasvir Rakkar - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 3rd)
6. C Justin Marra: E-2 (errant return throw to pitcher after pitch allowed runner at 3rd base to score)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Antonio Valerio: 1-2 CS
2. Justin Marra: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 70's
I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable
Did you expect anything different?
Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?
men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.
cubs lose :(
UH OH! RALLY TIME!
Getting tired of this Heywood weak sauce
Yep, can't say I disagree with that. His first batter and resulting walk was just brutal. Reminded me of a bit of Jacque Jones spiking his throws into the ground from RF.
The use of Peralta in any
semblance of a high leveragesituation is questionable at best.
fixed that for ya.
The use of Peralta in any semblance of a high leverage situation is questionable at best. Hind sight is easy but Peralta had nothing.
make that just peralta...
a.soriano new OF fielding coach?
Why is Almora jumping up on catches?
"Tommy La Stella (hamstring) will remain on his minor league rehab assignment through at least Friday."
should be an interesting roster shuffle once these guys trickle back in. i imagine patton or peralta are on the hot seat for la stella's return.
6 pitches, 2 run lead.
So am I. Point remains.
Not certain why the site has been slowed. Worked much of Wednesday on it and will continue today. Sorry for the inconvenience. I will probably take it offline for a while, but it will be up before the game against the Mets.