Fangraphs Fantasy League Owners Wanted & Site News

Just 2 quick things...

I'm starting up a new fantasy league on Fangraphs, what they chose to call Ottoneu to confuse the hell out of people. You can read up on the rules here. Suffice to say, if you really enjoy fantasy baseball and lean towards sabermetrics, this is the league for you. It's a year round league, auction draft, full 40-man rosters...in other words...totally awesome. We'll be using the Fangraphs points system and I have a few TCR regulars and some others I've played with that are interested. I need a few more to get to the magic 12 number to open a league. You have to pay fangraphs $9.99 a year (refundable if we don't get enough players before the seasons starts) and it's going to be around a $50-$70 buy-in as we want dedicated owners in it to win. Current draft date is March 22nd, 11am but that is subject to change. Once I get near the magic 12 owners I'll start sending out the invite links. Difficult personalities need not apply....

Item #2 is that we have a webmaster, Michael. If you run into any significant technical issues with the site, click on the email icon in the upper right and select "Webmaster" from the category drop-down menu. Don't expect an immediate response, but do let me know if your questions are not being answered or taken care of within a few days.

Comments

Good news on the web front, Rob. I praise the site often but it's for real. It reminds me of the old days of the web, a little on the wild side, some salty language but still very well moderated, and it's really only here because of one fan's perplexing passion for the Cubs.
And like I have said a million times, the posters and commenters have the best baseball knowledge around. And AZ Phil will probably have a statue at the gates of the new Cactus league park if Tom Ricketts has any class.

I'll need to funnel some money away from my wife's eyes, but I'd probably be in. Never done an auction, but I assume I'll be just as awesome as I am at everything.

I already had you as a maybe, need some fresh blood.

I'll be in. I'll probably be fresh meat instead of fresh blood but that makes me a desirable league member for the rest of you

I know, but I figured people'd be all "Damn, Joe's in? I gotta get me some if that action."

What's the scouting on Paolo Espino? He stopped the bleeding from the McDonald/Sanchez horse bleep pitching and then had a nice inning of his own.

If anyone wants to see a great at bat check out the MLB.TV archive of the Cubs Angels game and Kris Bryant's at bat. If that's a typical at bat for this kid, he's already the best hitter on the big league club. Compare what Soler did with the same pitcher and the same basic pitching approach. Soler batted just ahead of him. Bryant said later that Soler had some great cuts. Such a nice guy, that kid. Anyway, it was a great at bat. He worked the count, then smoked the ball over the fence, and I don't think he even got all of it.

Baseball America's #6 prospect, Miguel Sano (Twins) out for the year with Tommy John Surgery. The injury was from last year and they tried to treat it non-surgically but he reinsured it again Thursday.

Bryant is #8 on the BA list, so I guess short term, he moves up to #7. Baez is #5. Correa was #7. I'm not sure they care to change a ranking based on short term injuries that might not affect long term value but injuries certainly have impact (i.e. Mike Olt).

• If he puts up Soriano numbers I will be ecstatic

jacos 1 hour 2 min ago view
  • I think Javy is learning--but he's learning to make contact, not learning to lay off pitches out of the zone. A quick glance at his plate discipline numbers on Fangraphs shows that his contact rate is up, especially his contact rate out of the zone, but his swing rate is up too, especially his swing rate out of the zone.

Charlie 1 hour 37 min ago view
  • I definitely saw ballpark radar guns go up to 102 on Kerry Wood back when he was still a starter, but who knows how accurate they were.

Charlie 1 hour 50 min ago view
  • They've mentioned Henry Rodriguez (2013), Chris Carpenter, and Andrew Cashner as Cubs who have gone 100+. They said Rodriguez was tops at 100.8. Who knows before 2008?

QuietMan 3 hours 14 min ago view
  • Regarding Heyward--

He'll play regardless of what he does, just like Soriano played for seven years before they finally ditched him.

What can they do? All I can think of is they can keep hiring and firing hitting coaches until they find one who can get him to stop hitting balls with the handle of the bat.

(All those broken bats added to his paycheck is just a bit much.)

VirginiaPhil 3 hours 15 min ago view
  • Lester will probably be all right.

I think Arrieta might have added too much muscle preparing for that butt-naked ESPN photo shoot. Pitchers are supposed to be loose, not muscled up.

Seriously.

VirginiaPhil 3 hours 21 min ago view
  • I have basically written off Heyward for this year -- if you are working on major swing changes in late July, you are going to struggle. Hopefully, he can be more productive at the plate next year. It will be interesting to see what they do with him if the Cardinals keep winning and close the gap. Heyward is dead last in the NL in slugging and in the bottom 5 in OPS -- yet still has a positive WAR. Hunh.

• Has anybody in a Cub uniform ever thrown a ball 103 before?

VirginiaPhil 3 hours 28 min ago view
  • He certainly looks better, no doubt, and is a different player than what we saw when he first came up. Full credit to him for changing his approach and saving his career.

But he has zero walks in 35AB since the break, and 10 in 251 AB all year. He does seem to be able to hit some pitches out of the zone, but, a guy with his pop should be drawing more walks. However, it's easy to forget he is still only 23, and probably trying to make an impact to prove he should be an everyday player.

• The usual suspects, Molina and Wong. Gyorko drew a walk with two outs, none on. I recall us (particularly Szczur and Bryant) swinging at everything Familia threw.

VirginiaPhil 3 hours 39 min ago view
  • Yup. Thanks Q

• QuietMan 3 hours 53 min ago view
  • I for one hope that Sosa comes back soon.

Rob Richardson 4 hours 12 min ago view
  • O/B interesting you should mention that. Google ESPN Science Aroldis Chapman and you'll be treated to how his mechanics and delivery are possibly historic. It's the 120% of his body stretch plus the torque. They compare him to the Unit and NRyan.

• Amazing how much lower the production gets when Bryant runs into a mini-cold streak. He doesn't stay cold for long. If just one of Zobrist or, gulp, Heyward, gets hot, they oughta have one more really nice winning streak in them. Having a closer that you have absolute confidence in can't hurt.

• I hope they hold onto Jimenez. Outfield depth is questionable, especially with McKinney, who struggled this year but still, gone.