Fangraphs Fantasy League Owners Wanted & Site News

Just 2 quick things...

I'm starting up a new fantasy league on Fangraphs, what they chose to call Ottoneu to confuse the hell out of people. You can read up on the rules here. Suffice to say, if you really enjoy fantasy baseball and lean towards sabermetrics, this is the league for you. It's a year round league, auction draft, full 40-man rosters...in other words...totally awesome. We'll be using the Fangraphs points system and I have a few TCR regulars and some others I've played with that are interested. I need a few more to get to the magic 12 number to open a league. You have to pay fangraphs $9.99 a year (refundable if we don't get enough players before the seasons starts) and it's going to be around a $50-$70 buy-in as we want dedicated owners in it to win. Current draft date is March 22nd, 11am but that is subject to change. Once I get near the magic 12 owners I'll start sending out the invite links. Difficult personalities need not apply....

Item #2 is that we have a webmaster, Michael. If you run into any significant technical issues with the site, click on the email icon in the upper right and select "Webmaster" from the category drop-down menu. Don't expect an immediate response, but do let me know if your questions are not being answered or taken care of within a few days.

Comments

Good news on the web front, Rob. I praise the site often but it's for real. It reminds me of the old days of the web, a little on the wild side, some salty language but still very well moderated, and it's really only here because of one fan's perplexing passion for the Cubs.
And like I have said a million times, the posters and commenters have the best baseball knowledge around. And AZ Phil will probably have a statue at the gates of the new Cactus league park if Tom Ricketts has any class.

I'll need to funnel some money away from my wife's eyes, but I'd probably be in. Never done an auction, but I assume I'll be just as awesome as I am at everything.

I already had you as a maybe, need some fresh blood.

I'll be in. I'll probably be fresh meat instead of fresh blood but that makes me a desirable league member for the rest of you

I know, but I figured people'd be all "Damn, Joe's in? I gotta get me some if that action."

What's the scouting on Paolo Espino? He stopped the bleeding from the McDonald/Sanchez horse bleep pitching and then had a nice inning of his own.

If anyone wants to see a great at bat check out the MLB.TV archive of the Cubs Angels game and Kris Bryant's at bat. If that's a typical at bat for this kid, he's already the best hitter on the big league club. Compare what Soler did with the same pitcher and the same basic pitching approach. Soler batted just ahead of him. Bryant said later that Soler had some great cuts. Such a nice guy, that kid. Anyway, it was a great at bat. He worked the count, then smoked the ball over the fence, and I don't think he even got all of it.

Baseball America's #6 prospect, Miguel Sano (Twins) out for the year with Tommy John Surgery. The injury was from last year and they tried to treat it non-surgically but he reinsured it again Thursday.

Bryant is #8 on the BA list, so I guess short term, he moves up to #7. Baez is #5. Correa was #7. I'm not sure they care to change a ranking based on short term injuries that might not affect long term value but injuries certainly have impact (i.e. Mike Olt).

• Some perspective (mostly for my own benefit): Dan Straily beat MadBum 2-1 today as the Reds took 2 of 3 in SF. Giants are 2-9 since the break and their lead over LA is down to 2.5 games. So, yeah...baseball. It'll drive ya nuts.

billybucks 4 min 14 sec ago view
  • McNutt / Archer didn't work out well for us.

QuietMan 20 min 25 sec ago view
  • The floor is more valuable than the ceiling. It's the same reason we drafted Kris Bryant instead of Jon Gray.

John Beasley 1 hour 5 min ago view
  • Apparently the Yankees had the choice of either Gleyber Torres or Eloy Jimenez in the Chapman deal, and they chose Torres.

link

Arizona Phil 1 hour 59 min ago view
  • Chapman shouldn't be reserved anymore on 40 man.

chitownmvp01 5 hours 50 min ago view
  • Interesting split on Heyward according to ESPN. As a CF, his slash line .292/.363/.375/.738. At RF: .212/.204/.300/.604. 21/72 as a CF, 58/273 as a RF.

He's also been better when batting 2nd, but he had a nice start in the 6 hole, but has slumped ever since. He was heating up before the All Star break, but is only hitting .108 in the 2nd half.

chitownmvp01 5 hours 58 min ago view
  • When we played the Reds with Chapman, I always thought of it as an eight-inning game. So now other teams have eight innings to try to get a lead against the Cubs. Should be a challenge, assuming three or four Cubs ever start hitting again.

I don't really try to get to know and like these players personally. I'm rooting for laundry, for the most part. Exceptions might be when a player makes trouble in the clubhouse or in the dugout. (Zambrano and Bradley come to mind. Also Papelbon.) But I don't think Chapman is one of those jerks.

VirginiaPhil 9 hours 31 min ago view
  • Unfortunately, a pretty good summary. It looks like next year Heyward will be getting yet another batting stance adjustment.

The recent good news has been Baez. I'm afraid about the next league adjustment on him, though, which is probably right around the corner.

Bryant I don't worry about too much. Just not seeing the ball well right now. He'll turn it around. Russell's been good with men in scoring position all year and he's 22ish. He'll be fine but next year is likely to be his breakout year.

• If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.

• Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."

• This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.

• I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.

They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.

However, several players are just "average" for the last month: Zobrist, Ross, Russell, Ceasar. Montero is terrible, plus he cannot throw anyone out. -WAR. Heyward is abysmal at the plate, but a plus in the OF. Still with RISP he has been terrible. KB has not been driving in runs as of late. But Apparently the team is still above average with RISP according to S Sahadev.

• I came to that realization tonight. I kept expecting them to play better, but now I realize they aren't going to. They are a .500 team now.
    - They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
    - Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.

• new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup

• Team is .500 since early May and is playing like a .500 team. Lack of offense seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the pitchers...and they aren't handling it terribly well.

.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.

blockhead25 21 hours 57 min ago view
  • ...i hate espn.

nothing like settling into a cubs game to get a few minutes cutaway for an ortiz AB in the 6th inning of the det/bos game.

oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.