Fangraphs Fantasy League Owners Wanted & Site News

Just 2 quick things...

I'm starting up a new fantasy league on Fangraphs, what they chose to call Ottoneu to confuse the hell out of people. You can read up on the rules here. Suffice to say, if you really enjoy fantasy baseball and lean towards sabermetrics, this is the league for you. It's a year round league, auction draft, full 40-man rosters...in other words...totally awesome. We'll be using the Fangraphs points system and I have a few TCR regulars and some others I've played with that are interested. I need a few more to get to the magic 12 number to open a league. You have to pay fangraphs $9.99 a year (refundable if we don't get enough players before the seasons starts) and it's going to be around a $50-$70 buy-in as we want dedicated owners in it to win. Current draft date is March 22nd, 11am but that is subject to change. Once I get near the magic 12 owners I'll start sending out the invite links. Difficult personalities need not apply....

Item #2 is that we have a webmaster, Michael. If you run into any significant technical issues with the site, click on the email icon in the upper right and select "Webmaster" from the category drop-down menu. Don't expect an immediate response, but do let me know if your questions are not being answered or taken care of within a few days.

Comments

Good news on the web front, Rob. I praise the site often but it's for real. It reminds me of the old days of the web, a little on the wild side, some salty language but still very well moderated, and it's really only here because of one fan's perplexing passion for the Cubs.
And like I have said a million times, the posters and commenters have the best baseball knowledge around. And AZ Phil will probably have a statue at the gates of the new Cactus league park if Tom Ricketts has any class.

I'll need to funnel some money away from my wife's eyes, but I'd probably be in. Never done an auction, but I assume I'll be just as awesome as I am at everything.

I already had you as a maybe, need some fresh blood.

I'll be in. I'll probably be fresh meat instead of fresh blood but that makes me a desirable league member for the rest of you

I know, but I figured people'd be all "Damn, Joe's in? I gotta get me some if that action."

What's the scouting on Paolo Espino? He stopped the bleeding from the McDonald/Sanchez horse bleep pitching and then had a nice inning of his own.

If anyone wants to see a great at bat check out the MLB.TV archive of the Cubs Angels game and Kris Bryant's at bat. If that's a typical at bat for this kid, he's already the best hitter on the big league club. Compare what Soler did with the same pitcher and the same basic pitching approach. Soler batted just ahead of him. Bryant said later that Soler had some great cuts. Such a nice guy, that kid. Anyway, it was a great at bat. He worked the count, then smoked the ball over the fence, and I don't think he even got all of it.

Baseball America's #6 prospect, Miguel Sano (Twins) out for the year with Tommy John Surgery. The injury was from last year and they tried to treat it non-surgically but he reinsured it again Thursday.

Bryant is #8 on the BA list, so I guess short term, he moves up to #7. Baez is #5. Correa was #7. I'm not sure they care to change a ranking based on short term injuries that might not affect long term value but injuries certainly have impact (i.e. Mike Olt).

• Not certain why the site has been slowed. Worked much of Wednesday on it and will continue today. Sorry for the inconvenience. I will probably take it offline for a while, but it will be up before the game against the Mets.

WebAdmin 5 hours 21 min ago view
  • Mine has been really slow to load -- on different computers from different locations.

JoePepitone 7 hours 43 min ago view
  • Anybody else have issues accessing the site this afternoon/evening?

Eric S 8 hours 44 min ago view
  • Boras is 63, maybe he'll be retired or dead by the time Bryant, Russell, Almora, Albertos all hit free agency. Doubt he will be before Jake hits there though.

cubbies.4ever 12 hours 4 min ago view
  • Interesting choices when guys get healthy.

LaStella, Fowler & Soler replace Coghlan, Almora and Sczcur? I assume they don't want Almora to sit.

Despite MIggy's demise, I assume they keep him around to mentor Contreras?

• I believe Willson now has more CS than MIggy. The kid has an arm. Also, Russell is amazingly good on those plays at 2nd.

• oh yeah...thanks joe/billy.

poor outing, still got the win, go cubs.

• Although it felt like it, Jake didn't lose to them -- he got the W. (Assuming you are referring to Monday's game)

• Arrieta didn't lose to the Reds. He got the win -- he just didn't pitch like we expect him to.

JoePepitone 16 hours 49 min ago view
  • almora's 1st HR!

• it's not like this CIN team is lost-cause horrible, but aside from defense and power this is a truly horrible team.

kinda crazy arrieta lost to them and yesterday's game had to go 15 innings for the cubs win.

• It looked like Hamilton got screened by Duvall and that Duvall just barely deflected the ball off of his glove--redirecting it slightly without taking away much of its momentum.

At least it didn't turn into a Schwarber/Fowler situation. Hamilton and Duvall are both pretty important youngish players for the Reds.

• he walked off the field on his own. aside from a concussion watch and some attention to his leg/knee that buckled a bit under him, the biggest thing hurt was probably his pride after the ball knocked off his skull.

• After last night, an inside-the-park HR seems kind of run-of-the-mill somehow.

Sounds bad for Hamilton. Hope he's okay--listening on the radio.

Brick 17 hours 56 min ago view
  • SHOW ME THE MONEY: Jose Albertos has signed with Mega-Agent Scott Boras.

Albertos has already received his signing bonus and won't see any additional significant money until he reaches the big leagues, so this is a long-term investment for the Boras Corporation.

Other Cubs represented by Boras include Jake Arrieta, Kris Bryant, Addison Russell, and Albert Almora Jr.

Arizona Phil 18 hours 2 min ago view
  • I am glad Joe is managing this team and not Old and Blue!

Hagsag 20 hours 24 min ago view