Sveum gets tossed

What do you call this stretch of time in Chicago Cubs' history anyway?
(I'm talking about the team playing in the Major League ballparks, of course.)
Is it The Intermission?
Growing Pains?
The 105th Year Stretch?
Even though most of us kind of shrug through these games, it's nice to see some kind of emotion displayed once in awhile.
Which was why I was so happy to watch an animated Dale Sveum run out of the dugout and argue for his pitcher.
You know, some things can get me off the couch and rattle the house with some yelling - the Rizzo homer that could have hit Murphy's, a Castro crazy-range play at short, and last night a good old fashioned tossing of the manager.
Felt good.
Made me wonder what it'll feel like when the Cubs are contenders.
When a 2-2 pitch to Ryan Braun in an April game may actually ladder up to something more meaningful than an evening's entertainment.
This game started off so rotten even Len said Samardzija musta got up on the wrong side of the bed, but then it got pretty watchable.
The insanity of Jean Segura's stealing second and then (the ump explained) technically stealing first made a definite memory.
And I found myself lost in the game and really caring when suddenly Kevin Gregg came in and, you know...you go oh yeah, this is just a halftime show or something.
But I'll keep watching and painting.
Sveum looks like kind of a bad-ass doesn't he?
You can't argue balls and strikes, Dale, but you can pracitce at it.
And one day maybe you'll LaRussa some ump into giving your team a break when it counts.

Comments

cool

When we look back on this time, I think it will be called "The Empty Promise". Theo's Red Sox team imploded just as he was leaving town, he has never rebuilt a team from scratch, the Red Sox only won when their 3-4 hiiters were juiced -- but we're supposed to believe this guy is smarter than all other GMs and will lead the Cubs to prosperity. Whoops, excuse me, Rizzo just struck out again.

speaking of rizzo...SD is starting the reliever-to-starter transition for cashner a little ahead of expected schedule.

4ip 2h 1bb 5k (2er) 65 pitches, tonight

You might be right billy...I hope not, but you might be. I will say that under Epstein, they did draft:
David Murphy
Justin Masterson
Daniel Bard
Josh Reddick
Will Middlebrooks
Casey Kelly
Ryan Lavarnway
All who've seen some time in the majors. If Hendry had a draft record like that, he'd still be the GM.

• so...

anyone else ready for the all-star break? =p

it's been a tough past couple weeks...except that reds series. i miss playing the reds. that was cool.

• To take my mind of this latest disaster...wow, I thought baseball money was crazy, but NBA money is now super-wacko crazy. Joakim Noah is 31 with bad knees and absolutely no offensive game. He can't make a layup. The Knicks just agreed to pay him $72M over 4 years. Holy crap.

• "if"?

• Thank you, Jason, for allowing me to get to bed at a decent hour. Very thoughtful.

It will be very interesting to see what Theo does at the deadline. Of course, if Jake doesn't get straightened out, it really doesn't matter. A lot of Jake's comments this year, and his posing for nudie pics in the ESPN magazine, rang some alarm bells -- after one great year (and it was amazingly great), his head has swelled tremendously. Jake, look up the word "hubris", then look in the mirror.

• ...and we're back from the 3rd rain delay.

• at least the cubs have a decent backup of...ummmm....well the minor league system has...uhhh...hmmm.

maybe adam warren can manage to throw less than 100 pitches in 5 innings? no?

well damn.

• Not to worry -- I'm sure Hammel will finish strong in the 2nd half of the season (~sad chuckle, reaches for Scotch bottle~).

• Hammel has had a rather challenging last month. I am hoping post-break that Hendrix gets pushed ahead of him. They'll be lucky to win a game in NY

• hey, alright...cubs losing by 9 and a 3rd rain delay. awesome.

• If baseball does not work out for Patton, I think he's got a future in Civil War re-enactments. He's got a solid Johnny-Reb look to him.

Eric S 4 hours 5 min ago view
  • David Ross - the mound awaits you.

Eric S 4 hours 12 min ago view
  • RIP jason hammel's awesome ERA.

10 ER in 4ip...almost a full point tacked on tonight, alone. 5HR given up tonight. oogly.

• Nimmo certainly does not want to see the Cubs leave town. His first MLB rbi last night and now his first HR.

At least Hammel is eating some innings ... this is the kind of game Peralta should be used if at all.

Eric S 4 hours 24 min ago view
  • OK, the hell with it.

It's July 1 -- Hammel starting to suck right on schedule.

Other than sweeping the Reds -- a bad team actively trying to lose -- this will make 8 losses in 9 games to good teams (Cards, Marlins, Mets). Not good at all.

• Belicheat a consultant for the Red Sox?

Eric S 4 hours 48 min ago view
  • And, so, Jason Hammel decides to test my new resolution right away. Sheesh.

No Wright, no Duda, no Granderson -- no problem for NY. Ugh.