It Might be Sinking, but Those Deck Chairs Need Shuffling

The Cubs today will make some roster moves including the return of everyone's least favorite closer since Mel Rojas.

According to Twitter, the moves will be Darwin Barney being reinstated from the disabled list to begin his 2013 scrappy campaign. He'll be joined by 37-year-old Cody Ransom, which will give Barney a nice peak into his MLB future while also rescuing us fans from anymore Brent Lillibridge at-bats(he's been DFA'd). Throw in Steve Clevenger's move to the 60-day disabled list and there are your position player updates.

C: Castillo, Navarro

INF: Rizzo, Barney, Castro, Valbuena, Gonzalez, Ransom

OF: Soriano, DeJesus, Schierholtz, Hairston, Sappelt

On the pitching side, Kameron Loe and Kevin Gregg join the team, they'll take the roster spots of Hisanori Takahashi(DFA'd) and Rafael Dolis(optioned). At the going rate, Loe or Gregg will either be closing or on the disabled list by the end of the week.

SP: Samardzija, Jackson, Wood, Villanueva, Feldman

RP: Camp, Russell, Marmol, Loe, Gregg, Bowden, Rondon

Barney gets the start tonight versus lefty Derek Holland, with Travis Wood taking the mound for the Cubs. Sappelt 8/Castro 6/Rizzo 3/Soriano 7/Hairston 9/Castillo 2/Barney 4/Gonzalez 5/Wood 1 are your starting 9.

Comments

SUPER BOWL!!!!

In the twitter box you'll see, that Gregg thinks he'll get a chance to close.

2013 cubs...rent the excitement.

Over Marmol's dead body
...would he then qualify for the 60day DL?

Not that it matters.

It will be interesting to see who goes when Q-J Fujikawa is ready to return. Not that it matters.

as much as people don't like gregg...i'm not holding out much hope for k.loe...more like no hope.

sure it's "only" a million bucks, but i dunno why they even wanted a piece of that.

Not saying I'll miss Lil'Britches, but who the hell plays first if Rizzo goes down?

..not that it matters.

I was gonna guess Schierholtz, but to my surprise he has all of 1 minor league game under his belt at that position. I thought he played some with the Giants. Otherwise I'm guessing Derrek Lee :)

Maybe one of the catchers....

The type of player they're signing--high-mileage jack of all trades, master of none--is likely to have spent time at first base.

At least I had no trouble locating fifty-odd games at first, equally divided between majors and minors, for Ransom.

Alberto Gonzales played some first at Washington and SD.

because of the crappy weather, questionable condition of some seats, and mega-low attendance at the NYM/COL game they told fans to sit where they wanted to and just move to another seat if someone says you're in their seat. it doesn't seem applicable for the mega-premium seats behind home plate, but whatever...still nice.

I understand the Rangers forfeited once they saw the new Cubs roster.

k.gregg, k.loe, c.ransom...this is the serious run cubs fans have been waiting for and other teams have been fearing.

most exciting jed hoyer press conference ever...this is a game changer.

in news that may mean a win, Garza tweeted that he's starting a rehab assignment with Kane County soon....

slated for 2 innings on Friday, essentially starting spring training...figure that's 3-4 weeks before he's major league ready

• Even from an on-field perspective, Torres is a 19-year-old beating up High-A pitching who also plays a great SS. Even if he never develops a legit MLB power stroke, he's still an obvious 4-tool guy with a very high floor. Sucks to trade away his next 6-8 years for a closer, albeit a great one.

John Beasley 9 min 6 sec ago view

pretty much sums up my feelings

• You mean Yankees?

QuietMan 6 hours 22 min ago view
  • Cards lose!

Arizona Phil 6 hours 47 min ago view

• I just prefer they don't  acquire players that choke their wives/girlfriends.

• I'd prefer it not happen too.

• Still don't want. Kinda hope they can't work out the extension.

• obviously not, and I'm sure they did their homework...just hope they have some better answers than the Yankees

• Chapman 12+ Career WAR. Currently 4.7:1 k-BB. With Rondon/Chapman/Strop/Nathan/Montgomery/Wood...Its the best pen I can recall other than Sutter or Lee Smith handling things themselves.

Its gonna suck if he gets injured, and it appears he's not the greatest of characters.

But, he'll have another Cuban to hang out with on the team.