Giants Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with Dos Victorias at Fitch Park
The Giants swept the Cubs by scores of 3-1 and 2-1 in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training Cinco de Mayo doubleheader this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Both games were pre-scheduled as seven-inning contests, but the game on Field #2 was extended an extra half-inning so that Alvido Jimenez could throw a second inning.
Cubs 2011 1st round draft pick SS Javier Baez left the game on Field #3 after being hit on the left arm by a pitch in the bottom of the 1st inning.
In EXST Cubs roster news, SS Junior Lake (back strain) completed his rehab assignment yesterday and has left Arizona, (presumably) en route to join the Tennessee Smokies in Sevierville.
Also, INF Luis Acosta, 3B (ex-C) Mark Malave, LF-RF Delbis Arcila, and catcher Antonio Valerio have been sent back to the Cubs Dominican Academy in Boca Chica, DR.
Acosta and Malave are just 17-years old, and both received $1M+ signing bonuses during the International Signing Period last summer. Acosta murders fastballs but needs to learn how to hit a breaking ball (totally clueless), and the beefy switch-hitting Malave (the more-advanced hitter of the two) needs lots of reps at 3B.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, P-3, RBI)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (6-3 DP, 5-3, F-7)
3. Wilson Contreras, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, F-9, E-5)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (BB, P-4, K)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-2 (3-1, 5-3)
6. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 0-2 (3-1, 3-1)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-2 (K, 3-1)
8. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-2 (K, 3-1)
9. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 1-2 (2B, 4-3, R)
10. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (P-5, 6-3)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 B, 1 K, 25 pitches (19 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
2. Jorge Diaz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 31 pitches (21 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Felix Pena: 2.0, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 2:
1. P Alvido Jimenez - E-1 (throwing error on sacrifice bunt attempt allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Jair Bogaerts - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-3 CS
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (K, F-9, L-4)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B-SS: 1-3 (K, F-8, 3B)
3a. Javier Baez, SS: 0-0 (HBP)
3b. Kevin Encarnacion, PH-DH: 0-2 (K, K)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, K)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (BB, P-5, F-8, SB)
6. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (P-3, F-8, 2B)
7. Anthony Giansanti, DH-C: 1-3 (K, 3B, F-7, R)
8. Neftali Rosario, C-DH: 1-2 (F-8, 1B, HBP, RBI)
9. Brian Inoa, DH-2B: 1-3 (1B, 5-4 FC, L-6, CS)
10. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-2 (4-3, K)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Jose Arias: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 29 pitches (21 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 21 pitches (12 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Luis Villalba: 1.2 IP, 2 H , 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 20 pitches (16 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (15 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Neftali Rosario: 1-2 CS
2. Anthony Giansanti: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
solid smack to him...right through his legs. he wasn't even in motion, totally stationary. no bad bounce, either. it was hit very hard, but also squarely wiffed...not even any glove contact. it happens...not a good time for it to happen with 2 outs, though. that was the inning ender, easy.
Can someone tell me about Bryant's error who saw the play? You cannot give the Reds (or most teams) 4 outs. In this case with Joey Votto coming up.
un...fucking...believable... tie a game in the bottom 8th, give up 3 runs in the top 9th...why the hell not. awesome.
DAT TIE THO.
Ugh Hammel...the new Haren. The 3-5 starters have imploded and killed yet another series.
Just about to type the same thing.....Augh!
5 times in the last 3 games, Cubs have taken the lead or tied the game in the bottom half, only to give up runs in the top half.
<p>I'd like to see stats on opposing pitcher batting average. It's probably not real, but seems like we give up hits all the time to f-ing pitchers. </p>
Tony Four Sacks # 27
Hammel has k'd Votto twice. /baseball
Sore Ribs doesn't worry me too much. Getting a "precautionary MRI" has me assuming he is going to be out at least a few days, possibly more.
Maybe he got injured diving for the ball in LF? I really hope it's not code for a "strained oblique"....
Our starting pitching kinda sucks for #3-5.
Schwarber out with "sore ribs" /sorry to interrupt the magic number talk
JOHN B: Pierce Johnson and Rob Zastryzny were likely 2015 AFL candidates ( I mentioned them as likely candidates to get assigned to the AFL in an article about the AFL last month) because they are starting pitchers who missed part of the season due to injuries and they need to accrue more innings.
Schwarber stays back and hammers a 3-2 change-up that was down and away. Very impressive.