LaHair's grand slam made it by a hair.

When the Chicago Cubs were up 9 (nine!) to nothin' over the St. Louis Cardinals, the best word I could come up with was "exotic".

Because that's how it felt.
Two days in a row of massive Cub bat-damage?
That's like being on some island in National Geographic where the lizards all have fur and bring you rum drinks.

Luckily the game was delayed by rain so's I could hear some on the radio while driving home, and LaHair's Grand Salami happened about a minute after I turned it on.
Neither Pat Hughes or Keith Moreland thought it was going out, and both sounded surprised that it did which actually made for a kinda cool radio moment. And I thought man if I was on the radio right now I'd say, "That grand slam by LaHair made it by a hair!" and the audience could collectively groan yet maybe remember that moment a little clearer.
Which, HEY! I kinda did here, right?

And I'm making a new window/flower box for the front of the house, so I continued with the radio while sanding and got all nervous with the rest of you when Samardzija gave up that batch of runs and even though the bullpen's been kinda scary I was thinkin', "HEY SVEUM PUT SOMEBODY IN."

But Samardzija goes 5, then Dolis-Russel-Wood-Marmol all worked perfectly.
I even saw the Marmol part, and he looked great (struck out 2!).

I didn't mention that Ian Stewart banged a 3-runner out too.

Cubs 9 Cards 5.

The whole deal was the opposite of what you expected, which happens ALL THE TIME in the Greatest Rivalry in Sports.

Today at noon Central it's Chris Volstad vs. that guy who took Chris Carpenter's place, Lance Lynn.
Lance won his first game, and I'd appreciate it if they didn't have their own version of Lynn-sanity in St. Louis.
Also, I read some thing about the entire Midwest being under some kind of Horrible Weather warning, with conditions that probably will create angst and havoc and hopefully not tornadoes (or a rain delay in St. Louis).

Go Cubs!

Comments

Someone else said it in previous post, but I would rather watch this team develop then some of the overpayed crap we have trotted out lately.

Move Byrd, Dejesus in CF, Sori in Right, LaHair in lf and bring up rizzo.

As much as I've always opposed Soriano since his signing, he seems to have changed something. That diving catch he made, though it looked bad, was really a pretty good play with the way the ball was twisting in the air. Since he is the poster child of our over-payed crap, if he can do something good on this team it would be a huge bonus to us.

He looks much much more confident. He also looks like he's taking a little pride in defense--like he thinks catching the ball matters. Bob talked about him working on being "aggressive" on defense.

He has the look of a man determined to be traded to a real baseball team.

He's actually been tracking the ball pretty well when I've had to chance to watch him. Even his approach at the plate seems different. If he is determined to answer his critics, good for him. I'd love to see him make a point. Hell, I've even seen him make contact on stuff he didn't use to make contact on. And lay off some stuff he was swinging at.

But a week doesn't a season make. I'm skeptical, but strangely hopeful.

Rain Delay about to end, Pat Hughes giving the lineups on WGN radio (2 pm cst)

• crunch 5 hours 6 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 5 hours 6 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 5 hours 39 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 6 hours 3 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 16 hours 11 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 16 hours 21 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 16 hours 40 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.