Cubs Minor League Recap for April 6, 2012

I'd probably go Eric Jokisch and Arismendy Alcantara as your pitching and hitting stars of the day, both for Hi-A Daytona.

Round Rock 4 - @Iowa 3; Coleman gives up 4 earned runs over 5 innings, but does strikeout 5 without giving up a walk. Rizzo with two singles and an error. W. Castillo and B. Jackson have the only extra-base hits on the night for Iowa. Campana gets caught stealing but does get an outfield assist (and so you know, First Inning doesn't update the stolen base/caught stealings until the morning for some reason so they're not usually going to be reflected in the screen grab).

Tennessee 1 - @Chattanooga 0; Burgess goes yard with a solo shot and ends with two hits on the night, Watkins with the only other multi-hit game. Catcher Juan Apodeca walks twice. Combined shutout by McNutt (3.2 IP), Antigua (2.1 IP), A. Cabrera (2 IP) and F. Batista (1 IP whom also got his second save).

@Daytona 6 - Brevard County 2; Rubi Silva and Arismendy Alcantara both with three hits, Alcantara's included a 3-run HR and he had 4 RBI's total on the night. Silva did have two doubles. Jokisch goes 6 innings, giving up 2 ER, 4 H, 1 BB and 5 K. Tony Zych goes 2 innings for the save (1 H, 1 K, 0 BB).

@Beloit 6 - Peoria 1; Nothing interesting in the offensive box score with Eduardo Gonzalz having the only extra-base hit. Reggie Golden did steal a base. Patrick Francescon goes 4.1 IP with 9 K's, 0 BB, 2 H, 1 ER. Willengton Cruz is the dunce of the night giving up 4 ER on 0.2 IP including 2 BB's and 0 K's.

If anyone cares to volunteer to bring updates on the minors or post lineups next week, let me know. I'll be out on vacation, but can give you posting access. Some sort of familiarty with blogging or computers may help as I won't be near any type of reliable Internet access to assist in any way.

Comments

The Chicago Microbes National League Baseball Club?

Wow that is amazing. Had no idea . . .

So it looks like in the old days, reporters just named teams based on traits? That leaves a lot of opportunity for some not so good names for the modern edition, over the years.

2 walks in 2 games for Vitters?!

A fangraphs type of article in CCO regarding Dempster getting a free pass because of the wind on opening day

Eh, but that's Wrigley. Home runs get stolen by the wind all the time. I thought he pitched pretty well over all. We don't even know if he would have thrown a different pitch if the conditions were different. He probably wouldn't have, but we don't know.

Supposedly, with their penchant for analysis and stidy, the new management is up for the challenge of trying to do what no one else has been able to solve:

build a team to play to all types of conditions at Wrigley.

I think of Campana when the wind is blowing in, but honestly he would be a fantastic 25th guy on a team chock full of great players like the Carss, Rangers, etc.

Not on a team with mostly 25th guys.

It'd help if he could hit.

Here is the Sun-Times pic of Theo walking on water (that lead to Theo's quote: "I almost spit up my fruit loops when I saw that")

• Very nice. I saw him in Lansing in May. I'm still stunned that he hit a 400-foot foul ball onto Larch Street ... which is going the other way for a right-handed batter. It was perhaps the most amazing swing I've ever seen a minor league player take. I should also mention that it was about 40 degrees out at the time. Not that it's evidence of anything per se, but I feel his plate approach is way more advanced than Soler was at this stage in his development and that the comparisons aren't really fair to Jimenez. 50/50 chance I'll go to Midland tonight for the low-A debut of Oscar de la Cruz.

John Beasley 1 hour 32 min ago view
  • Eloy Jimenez grand slam tonight. Hoping Soler power returns and gets hot but future looks bright in the outfield regardless.

Finished the night 4-5, with two doubles - 32(!) on the season - along with the grand slam. Sick

Eric S 2 hours 53 min ago view
  • Meanwhile, out West:

SF is 2-11 since the break, lead over LA is down to one game, and they are running out Cain and Peavy this weekend against the Nats. Challenging times by the Bay.

• Thanks for the updates Phil. Too bad about Frazier.

Hagsag 7 hours 35 min ago view
  • The Cubs have released RHRP Scott Frazier (2013 7th round dfraft pick - Pepperdine).

A Cubs pitching coach told me in Spring Training 2014 that he thought Frazier had the best pure stuff in the organization. Absolutely electric fastball & breaking ball combo. Other pitchers would gather behind the screen just to watch him throw "live" BP. That's how amazing he was.

Arizona Phil 12 hours 44 min ago view
  • Got a chance to see Diamondbacks RHSP Zack Greinke (15-day DL - strained oblique) throw a rehab start at Sloan Park Friday night. Four of the first seven AZL Cubs hitters singled and the Cubs did score an unearned run in the bottom of the 1st inning, but then Greinke got serious and struck out five in a row.

ZACK GREINKE: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 49 pitches (34 strikes)

Arizona Phil 12 hours 58 min ago view
  • Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

• Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 18 hours 15 min ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 18 hours 41 min ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 19 hours 8 min ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 20 hours 37 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 22 hours 11 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 23 hours 51 min ago view