Cubs Minor League Recap for April 5, 2012

A screen grab from my First inning player page, keeping track of the players on my top 16 list.

As for the games, you can find the results here at their organizational page for the Cubs.

@Iowa 5 - Round Rock 3; Rizzo, Jackson, Campana with 2 hits each and a stolen base each. W. Castillo hit twice by a pitch and with a catcher's interference call against him. R. Wells started and got the win going 6 innings and giving up 3 runs. Corpas with 2 shutout innings and S. Maine with the save.

Tennessee 4 - @Chattanooga 1; N. Struck goes 6 IP, 10 K, 1 BB, 1 ER, 4 H; Adduci, Watkins, Ha and Bour with multi-hit games and Bour with a HR. F.Batista got the save(1 IP/1K/0 BB) and K. Rhoderick a hold (2 IP/2 K/0 BB).

@Brevard County 11 - Daytona 4; Cubs lose to Brewers prospect and #12 overall draftee from last season T. Jungmann; Torreyes, Silva and Alcantara with multi-hit games. Loosen, Wallach and Kirk all tagged for multiple runs.

Peoria 5 - @Beloit 2; M. Jensen throws 5 scoreless innings, K. Burke with a hold and J. Lorick goes 2 innings, gets 3 K's and the save. DeVoss was busy; 1/5 with 3 K's, 1 E and helped turn 2 double plays. Multi-hit games for W. Darvill and Pin-Chieh Chen. Chen tripled and had an outfield assist.

Comments

I had B Jackson leading the team in steals in the survey the other day, so they better get working on that Marlon Byrd trade. But I can wait a week. I see the I Cubs in Round Rock next week and I'd like to see him play first.

I believe that's the deal I suggested over the offseason. Not sure where Lannan fits at this point other than the pen, but his usefulness comes from his ability to pitch innings more than anything.

lannan fits as far away from the cubs as possible.

he gets a lot of positive press for a guy that makes paul maholm look awesome.

Well...he looks a lot like Maholm....meh. Whichever...pass.

Rob -- Thanks for these updates. I am a big fan of our minor league and, with the look of this year's Cubs, this might be the most exciting part of the season (at least until Jackson and Rizzo get to Chicago).

Does anyone know if the San Diego compensation has ever been completed? It was supposed to be before opening day.

Haven't heard anything official yet myself

Your firstinning account is looking much slimmer and more fit than mine.

I need to start trimming my roster.

I needed a cutoff, so top 16 seemed good enough. There's obviously a few interesting guys out there beyond that and I'll mention and add them as I see fit.

Justin Bour, for example, keeps enticing me to think he's someone worth watching although I should know better.

I had that same issue with Bour.

I think I'm at around 50 right now, which is just too much to keep track of in the time I have. I'll probably try to figure out who are the 20 or 25 guys I'm most interested in. I have some guys just because I want to see what they do and not because they are the most interesting prospects--Yao-Lin Wang and Logan Watkins are among that group. They make it hard to cut the numbers down, though, and then I come away from the site with nothing because it's just a jumble.

pardon me if I missed this, but where's Junior Lake and why didn't he play last night?

I think Ariz Phil said he was going to open the year on the 7 day DL with Tenn - back issues? can't remember the specific injury.

Fri, 04/06/2012 - 10:24am — Rob G.

=============================================

ROB G: Junior Lake is on the 7-day DL with a back strain.

I added a DL section to the TCR Depth Chart. yesterday.

---
Padres comp supposed to be done by April 15th but I might be crossing up my organizations and previous articles (Red Sox/Padres).

I found this older tweet from Feb 23rd, CBS/Scott Miller:

Scott [email protected]
Compensation from #Cubs to #Padres for Hoyer will be low-level minor leaguer aand probably happen late spring. Will be b4 opening day.

Supposedly Junior Lake is out with a bad back

• Thanks for the updates Phil. Too bad about Frazier.

Hagsag 1 hour 47 min ago view
  • The Cubs have released RHRP Scott Frazier (2013 7th round dfraft pick - Pepperdine).

A Cubs pitching coach told me in Spring Training 2014 that he thought Frazier had the best pure stuff in the organization. Absolutely electric fastball & breaking ball combo. Other pitchers would gather behind the screen just to watch him throw "live" BP. That's how amazing he was.

Arizona Phil 6 hours 55 min ago view
  • Got a chance to see Diamondbacks RHSP Zack Greinke (15-day DL - strained oblique) throw a rehab start at Sloan Park Friday night. Four of the first seven AZL Cubs hitters singled and the Cubs did score an unearned run in the bottom of the 1st inning, but then Greinke got serious and struck out five in a row.

ZACK GREINKE: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 49 pitches (34 strikes)

Arizona Phil 7 hours 10 min ago view
  • Eloy Jimenez grand slam tonight. Hoping Soler power returns and gets hot but future looks bright in the outfield regardless.

Eric S 11 hours 21 min ago view
  • Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

• Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 12 hours 26 min ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 12 hours 53 min ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 13 hours 20 min ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 14 hours 48 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 16 hours 23 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 18 hours 3 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 18 hours 4 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 18 hours 6 min ago view