Cubs 2012 Opening Game Thread

Here it is, Opening Day 2012, where optimism reigns...until you see Jeff Baker starting at 1B.

Nationals Cubs
Desmond, SS *DeJesus, RF
#Espinosa, 2B Barney, 2B
Zimmerman, 3B Castro, SS
*LaRoche, 1B Soriano, LF
Werth, RF *Stewart, 3B
DeRosa, LF Baker, 1B
*Bernadina, CF Byrd, CF
Ramos, C Soto, C
Strasburg, P Dempster, P

Bryan LaHair is out today, but claims he should be available off the bench Saturday and ready to start by Sunday, so doesn't look like the disabled list and doesn't look like Tony Campana will be up with the team.

How many strikeouts for Soriano today?

pollcode.com free polls

I'm going to attempt to be in Parachat later, but make no promises. I'll keep the prediction contest open up until first pitch.

Comments

He is on my shitlist, but I don't even remember why.

Wow, that was some bad theological analogism.

to Rays on waiver claim, Mateo to 60-day DL.

How does that work?

losing Gaub?

must have outrighted him and Rays made a claim.

Sorry, I guess I missed were we cut him.

news to all of us I believe

outrighting isn't really cutting them though, it's just trying to get them through waivers and off the 40-man and end of spring training is usually a good time to attempt that.

nonetheless, Gaub has some serious control issues, tough to get too hot and bothered about it, unless you look at Camp's numbers last year :)

Sorry again I am mixing up Gaub and Mateo. I misread your post as saying the Rays had picked up Mateo as the Cubs put him on the 60-day DL.

And with that, the Cubs now have nothing to show for the DeRosa trade. Yay?

Sure... if you don't count Matt Garza

#Cubs officially select contracts of DeWitt, Mather and Camp. Coleman and Campana optioned to Class AAA Iowa.

Wait. So the Cubs claim a guy off of waivers that is redundant to/makes DeWitt redundant, but they keep DeWitt, and they lose Gaub, one of the potentially useful bullpen pieces they have when they are probably looking for another lefty reliever?

Color me purple-exed.

Ryan Dempster looks more like Koyie Hill every year. I had a brief moment of panic when the camera first panned to him.

Kinda jealous of the Nat's lineup. Sigh.

Just look at Jayson Werth's contract and you will feel better.

Straus on pace for a 63-pitch game.

Strasburg at 14 pitches through 2 innings.

Who's carrying the broadcast for this?

wgn

cool. thanks!

Soriano hitting .500 -- trade him while he's hot!

...and there goes that opportunity

I believe that SB attempt added an out and costs a run?

New feature in Gameday called "Scout" in the Game Summary feature. Here's a quote from today:

"Scout: Stephen Strasburg is trying to tie up Ryan Dempster with fastballs inside, where Dempster is hitting .000 this season compared to .000 overall."

Must automated without human oversight. I hope.

Dempster earned his pay check today. Should we expect Wood in the 8th?

I'm not watching the game... is Demp struggling? If not, why would Wood come out for the 8th?

Early in the season, near 100 pitches, but the point is moot.

Wood in the 8th

But now kind of wishing we hadn't seen wood in the 8th...

Am I the only person who thinks that Wood has been overrated most of his career?

He just doesn't throw enough strikes.

Joking, I presume?

and cue the Marmol loss

so...much...cubbery...

Soriano stealing 3rd cost them an out and a run, Woody couldnt get a strike call to save his life, Stewart runs on a hard enough hit ball to the 3B and gets thrown out by a mile with 1 out in the 9th? I already HATE the New Jan Brady style by Dale

Joe Mather was pinch running for Stewart...

so that happened....

Sitting between home and 3rd today we said WTF on Soriano's SBA. Wondering if it was a hit and run. Several people in the stands said he was safe - but at the time...same old shit.

That said, Soriano did not lose the game today for them and made a tough catch with really crazy winds out there.

There were not any real chances at all for either team...until the bullpen came in.

This is going to be a repeating theme, so I am sorry to say, we will have to get used it for 2012.

Ian Stuart, for that matter, caused an additional 15-20 possible extra pitches due to his error as Demp got undone there early on.

However, he pitched terrifically well and deserved a better fate.

I have hated Marmol since last year.

Hopefully he can learn how to pitch with confidence again so we can trade him.

Why didn't they use Sean Marshall in the 8th? He's usually pretty reliable....

As has been said -- you can save yourself a lot of time this season, and just watch the replay of this game when you want to see the 2012 Cubs.

Few things more agonizing than knowing the bullpen sucks, hoping maybe they won't suck the day you are at the game, then watching them actually suck like you knew they would all along.

• Some perspective (mostly for my own benefit): Dan Straily beat MadBum 2-1 today as the Reds took 2 of 3 in SF. Giants are 2-9 since the break and their lead over LA is down to 2.5 games. So, yeah...baseball. It'll drive ya nuts.

billybucks 1 hour 3 min ago view
  • McNutt / Archer didn't work out well for us.

QuietMan 1 hour 20 min ago view
  • The floor is more valuable than the ceiling. It's the same reason we drafted Kris Bryant instead of Jon Gray.

John Beasley 2 hours 4 min ago view
  • Apparently the Yankees had the choice of either Gleyber Torres or Eloy Jimenez in the Chapman deal, and they chose Torres.

link

Arizona Phil 2 hours 58 min ago view
  • Chapman shouldn't be reserved anymore on 40 man.

chitownmvp01 6 hours 50 min ago view
  • Interesting split on Heyward according to ESPN. As a CF, his slash line .292/.363/.375/.738. At RF: .212/.204/.300/.604. 21/72 as a CF, 58/273 as a RF.

He's also been better when batting 2nd, but he had a nice start in the 6 hole, but has slumped ever since. He was heating up before the All Star break, but is only hitting .108 in the 2nd half.

chitownmvp01 6 hours 58 min ago view
  • When we played the Reds with Chapman, I always thought of it as an eight-inning game. So now other teams have eight innings to try to get a lead against the Cubs. Should be a challenge, assuming three or four Cubs ever start hitting again.

I don't really try to get to know and like these players personally. I'm rooting for laundry, for the most part. Exceptions might be when a player makes trouble in the clubhouse or in the dugout. (Zambrano and Bradley come to mind. Also Papelbon.) But I don't think Chapman is one of those jerks.

VirginiaPhil 10 hours 31 min ago view
  • Unfortunately, a pretty good summary. It looks like next year Heyward will be getting yet another batting stance adjustment.

The recent good news has been Baez. I'm afraid about the next league adjustment on him, though, which is probably right around the corner.

Bryant I don't worry about too much. Just not seeing the ball well right now. He'll turn it around. Russell's been good with men in scoring position all year and he's 22ish. He'll be fine but next year is likely to be his breakout year.

• If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.

• Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."

• This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.

• I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.

They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.

However, several players are just "average" for the last month: Zobrist, Ross, Russell, Ceasar. Montero is terrible, plus he cannot throw anyone out. -WAR. Heyward is abysmal at the plate, but a plus in the OF. Still with RISP he has been terrible. KB has not been driving in runs as of late. But Apparently the team is still above average with RISP according to S Sahadev.

• I came to that realization tonight. I kept expecting them to play better, but now I realize they aren't going to. They are a .500 team now.
    - They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
    - Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.

• new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup

• Team is .500 since early May and is playing like a .500 team. Lack of offense seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the pitchers...and they aren't handling it terribly well.

.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.

blockhead25 22 hours 57 min ago view
  • ...i hate espn.

nothing like settling into a cubs game to get a few minutes cutaway for an ortiz AB in the 6th inning of the det/bos game.

oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.