Samardzija throws 4-2/3 of a No-No at Fitch Park
Jeff Samardzija threw 4-2/3 innings of no hit ball, Luis Flores clubbed a solo home run, Shawon Dunston, Jr hammered a two-run homer, and Carlos Penalver had three hits, scored a run, and drove-in another, in Extended Spring Training intrasquad action this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Samardzija walked one and struck out four, threw one wild pitch, and had the opposing hitters pounding his pitches into the ground (8/2 GO/FO) throughout his outing. He threw 62 pitches (42 strikes) in his 4.2 IP of work.
Frankie de la Cruz followed The Shark to the mound, and was as bad as Samardzija was good. Vying for a spot in the Cubs bullpen, de la Cruz allowed five runs (all earned) on seven hits (including three doubles and a HR) and a walk in just 2.1 IP. He just flat-out got pounded... by kids who couldn't make the Peoria Opening Day roster.
Here is the abridged box score from the game:
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 1-5 (3-U, 4-3, 4-3, HR, F-9, R, 2 RBI)
2. Javier Baez, SS: 2-5 (5-3, 4-3, 1B, 2B, K, R)
3. Ryan Cuneo, DH #1: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 4-3, BB, R)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (P-6, K, 2B, BB, R, RBI)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-3 (6-3, 4-3, 1B, HBP, RBI, CS)
6. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-4 (P-1, K, K, 1B, RBI)
7. Anthony Giansanti, DH-C: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, BB, F-8, R)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-2 (BB, 2B, 6-4 FC, BB, RBI)
9. Luis Acosta, 2B: 1-4 (K, P-3, 4-U FC, 1B, R)
10a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY - DID NOT BAT
10b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED LAST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-5 (6-3, 1B, 1-3, 4-6 FC, K, R, SB)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 3-5 (K, 1B, 1B, E-5, 1B, R, RBI)
3a. Luis Flores, C: 2-2 (HR, 1B, R, RBI)
3b. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-3 (5-4 FC, 1B, 6-3, PO)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (E-6, 1B, 4-3, BB, HBP)
5. Delbis Arcila, RF: 0-2 (3-U, BB, K, BB, BB, RBI)
6. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-4 (P-3, K, BB, L-6 DP, 4-6 FC)
7. Trevor Gretzky, DH: 1-2 (1B, E-4, BB, BB, R, SB, CS)
8. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 2-4 (1B, K, 1B, K)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K, HBP)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Jose Rosario: 3.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 77 pitches (49 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 37 pitches (22 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
3. Charles Thomas: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 21 pitches (12 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Brian Smith: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2 HBP, 2 WP, 38 pitches (17 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Jeff Samardzija: 4.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 62 pitches (42 strikes), 8/2 GO/FO
2. Frankie de la Cruz: 2.1 IP, 7 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 57 pitches (34 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
3. Ryan Hartman: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 30 pitches (12 strikes)
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Yaniel Cabezas: 1-3 CS
2. Anthony Giansanti: 1 PO
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-1 CS
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 5
1. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. P Jose Rosario - E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed base-runner to advance to 3rd)
3. 2B Luis Acosta - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
5. P Brian Smith - E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed base-runner to advance to 2nd)
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: NONE
WEATHER: Sunny, cool, and VERY breezy with temperatures in the 60’s
Even from an on-field perspective, Torres is a 19-year-old beating up High-A pitching who also plays a great SS. Even if he never develops a legit MLB power stroke, he's still an obvious 4-tool guy with a very high floor. Sucks to trade away his next 6-8 years for a closer, albeit a great one.
"Like the Chapman deal for Cubs from on-field POV, wish I didn't now have to feel lousy following an otherwise likable Cubs team." @jonahkeri
pretty much sums up my feelings
You mean Yankees?
You do have a point. The TheoJed certainly would need to address this in a transparent way. Milton Bradley was no help to the team.
FWIW, the Cubs would get a compensation draft pick between the 1st & 2nd rounds (around #35) if they extend a Qualifying Offer to Chapman post-2016 (probably about $17M), Chapman declines, and then he signs with another MLB club before next year's draft.
This all assumes Chapman doesn't want to be a free agent and possibly sign a $20MM+/year deal. We all know free agents get overpaid, sometimes dramatically (Hello, JayHey!). Not sure why Chapman would agree to the extension. If i'm is agent, I would tell him I could get I'm a $100M deal as a FA.
I'll root for the uniform and imagine it's left-handed Rod Beck or Randy Myers out there I suppose.
Amen to this. I guess it's gonna happen and I'm gonna have to suck it up but I really despise domestic abusers with every bone in my body and cannot stand them on any team I root for.
I just prefer they don't acquire players that choke their wives/girlfriends.
So you'd rather go with Blown Save guy, when you can trade a prospect who is blocked for one piece that could get you over the top to the Big Dance? That is pretty old thinking. This is not a move that they cannot recover from if it goes south. But the upside is potentially historic.
I'd prefer it not happen too.
it's a hell of a blockbuster, but it's for a guy who pitches 1/3rd of a season at an extreme premium considering the guy being traded and if the early extension $$$ rumors are true.
it's one of those things that is bringing a guy at the top his game, but something is nagging me that this trade piece could have been put to better use.
a huge part of me is all "hell yeah, top of the line producer"...another part of me is "hmm, that for that?"
Still don't want. Kinda hope they can't work out the extension.
obviously not, and I'm sure they did their homework...just hope they have some better answers than the Yankees
Chapman 12+ Career WAR. Currently 4.7:1 k-BB. With Rondon/Chapman/Strop/Nathan/Montgomery/Wood...Its the best pen I can recall other than Sutter or Lee Smith handling things themselves.
Its gonna suck if he gets injured, and it appears he's not the greatest of characters.
But, he'll have another Cuban to hang out with on the team.