Samardzija throws 4-2/3 of a No-No at Fitch Park
Jeff Samardzija threw 4-2/3 innings of no hit ball, Luis Flores clubbed a solo home run, Shawon Dunston, Jr hammered a two-run homer, and Carlos Penalver had three hits, scored a run, and drove-in another, in Extended Spring Training intrasquad action this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Samardzija walked one and struck out four, threw one wild pitch, and had the opposing hitters pounding his pitches into the ground (8/2 GO/FO) throughout his outing. He threw 62 pitches (42 strikes) in his 4.2 IP of work.
Frankie de la Cruz followed The Shark to the mound, and was as bad as Samardzija was good. Vying for a spot in the Cubs bullpen, de la Cruz allowed five runs (all earned) on seven hits (including three doubles and a HR) and a walk in just 2.1 IP. He just flat-out got pounded... by kids who couldn't make the Peoria Opening Day roster.
Here is the abridged box score from the game:
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 1-5 (3-U, 4-3, 4-3, HR, F-9, R, 2 RBI)
2. Javier Baez, SS: 2-5 (5-3, 4-3, 1B, 2B, K, R)
3. Ryan Cuneo, DH #1: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 4-3, BB, R)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (P-6, K, 2B, BB, R, RBI)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-3 (6-3, 4-3, 1B, HBP, RBI, CS)
6. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-4 (P-1, K, K, 1B, RBI)
7. Anthony Giansanti, DH-C: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, BB, F-8, R)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-2 (BB, 2B, 6-4 FC, BB, RBI)
9. Luis Acosta, 2B: 1-4 (K, P-3, 4-U FC, 1B, R)
10a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY - DID NOT BAT
10b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED LAST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-5 (6-3, 1B, 1-3, 4-6 FC, K, R, SB)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 3-5 (K, 1B, 1B, E-5, 1B, R, RBI)
3a. Luis Flores, C: 2-2 (HR, 1B, R, RBI)
3b. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-3 (5-4 FC, 1B, 6-3, PO)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (E-6, 1B, 4-3, BB, HBP)
5. Delbis Arcila, RF: 0-2 (3-U, BB, K, BB, BB, RBI)
6. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-4 (P-3, K, BB, L-6 DP, 4-6 FC)
7. Trevor Gretzky, DH: 1-2 (1B, E-4, BB, BB, R, SB, CS)
8. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 2-4 (1B, K, 1B, K)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K, HBP)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Jose Rosario: 3.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 77 pitches (49 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 37 pitches (22 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
3. Charles Thomas: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 21 pitches (12 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Brian Smith: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2 HBP, 2 WP, 38 pitches (17 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Jeff Samardzija: 4.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 62 pitches (42 strikes), 8/2 GO/FO
2. Frankie de la Cruz: 2.1 IP, 7 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 57 pitches (34 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
3. Ryan Hartman: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 30 pitches (12 strikes)
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Yaniel Cabezas: 1-3 CS
2. Anthony Giansanti: 1 PO
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-1 CS
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 5
1. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. P Jose Rosario - E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed base-runner to advance to 3rd)
3. 2B Luis Acosta - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
5. P Brian Smith - E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed base-runner to advance to 2nd)
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: NONE
WEATHER: Sunny, cool, and VERY breezy with temperatures in the 60’s
Just had to ask, I guess.
Haven't had a big comeback win in a long time (at least it seems like a long time). Great feeling!
Rizzo should hold clinics on 2-strike hitting. Awesome.
cubs lead in the top 7th!
triple, walk, domination
And he gets out of it by K-ing Braun, Lucroy and Carter!
Let's get some runs!
welcome to the cubs j.nathan.
2 pitches into the inning and there's a guy on 3rd with 0 outs (triple).
his velocity is hanging around 91/92mph.
Always a good idea to bring in Richard against a LH batter.
Russell left game with left heel contusion from foul ball on Saturday. Started to bother him during the Sunday game.
a.russell out and down into the clubhouse...no one knows why.
it's very hot on the field, so it might be heat related.
I blame the All-Star game again, or else Michael Barrett.
Miller park roof is closing. Hmmm, might play differently now?
Lester at 72 pitches through 3. Roof closing might get him through 6.
Middlebrows pulls a calf or hamstring. Len says he blew a tire rounding 1st. Nieuwenhuis enters game.
Now roof opening. Dizziness. No AC in the ballpark wrt the field.
just to lighten the mood:
Shark's day: 5.2 IP 5 Runs (all earned), 8 Hits, 2 HR. Left the game down 5-0 to Yankees.
Anyone expecting game 4 NLCS Shark vs Hammel or Lackey?
First inning: two on, no out, Rizz and Zobrist due up. Don't score.
Third inning: two on, one out, KB and Rizz due up. Don't score.
This is getting' old, fellahs.
KB still with ZERO RBI since the A/S break. Ouch.
62 through 2ip...yow.
it's an off day for d.ross, too. the wild pitch + passed ball in 2 separate strike 3 calls allowing the runner to reach 1st and the 5sb through 2ip makes for a bad game so far. ross cant shoulder any blame for some of those SBs, especially that villar steal of 3rd while lester watched him.
39 pitch inning by Lester. I guess it's a wash vs yesterday's 1st when Lackey gave up 2 run HR.
39 pitch, 2 run, 1st inning for lester. bleh.
horrible control so far today.