Samardzija throws 4-2/3 of a No-No at Fitch Park
Jeff Samardzija threw 4-2/3 innings of no hit ball, Luis Flores clubbed a solo home run, Shawon Dunston, Jr hammered a two-run homer, and Carlos Penalver had three hits, scored a run, and drove-in another, in Extended Spring Training intrasquad action this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Samardzija walked one and struck out four, threw one wild pitch, and had the opposing hitters pounding his pitches into the ground (8/2 GO/FO) throughout his outing. He threw 62 pitches (42 strikes) in his 4.2 IP of work.
Frankie de la Cruz followed The Shark to the mound, and was as bad as Samardzija was good. Vying for a spot in the Cubs bullpen, de la Cruz allowed five runs (all earned) on seven hits (including three doubles and a HR) and a walk in just 2.1 IP. He just flat-out got pounded... by kids who couldn't make the Peoria Opening Day roster.
Here is the abridged box score from the game:
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 1-5 (3-U, 4-3, 4-3, HR, F-9, R, 2 RBI)
2. Javier Baez, SS: 2-5 (5-3, 4-3, 1B, 2B, K, R)
3. Ryan Cuneo, DH #1: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 4-3, BB, R)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (P-6, K, 2B, BB, R, RBI)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-3 (6-3, 4-3, 1B, HBP, RBI, CS)
6. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-4 (P-1, K, K, 1B, RBI)
7. Anthony Giansanti, DH-C: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, BB, F-8, R)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-2 (BB, 2B, 6-4 FC, BB, RBI)
9. Luis Acosta, 2B: 1-4 (K, P-3, 4-U FC, 1B, R)
10a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY - DID NOT BAT
10b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED LAST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-5 (6-3, 1B, 1-3, 4-6 FC, K, R, SB)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 3-5 (K, 1B, 1B, E-5, 1B, R, RBI)
3a. Luis Flores, C: 2-2 (HR, 1B, R, RBI)
3b. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-3 (5-4 FC, 1B, 6-3, PO)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (E-6, 1B, 4-3, BB, HBP)
5. Delbis Arcila, RF: 0-2 (3-U, BB, K, BB, BB, RBI)
6. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-4 (P-3, K, BB, L-6 DP, 4-6 FC)
7. Trevor Gretzky, DH: 1-2 (1B, E-4, BB, BB, R, SB, CS)
8. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 2-4 (1B, K, 1B, K)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K, HBP)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Jose Rosario: 3.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 77 pitches (49 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 37 pitches (22 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
3. Charles Thomas: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 21 pitches (12 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Brian Smith: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2 HBP, 2 WP, 38 pitches (17 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Jeff Samardzija: 4.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 62 pitches (42 strikes), 8/2 GO/FO
2. Frankie de la Cruz: 2.1 IP, 7 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 57 pitches (34 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
3. Ryan Hartman: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 30 pitches (12 strikes)
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Yaniel Cabezas: 1-3 CS
2. Anthony Giansanti: 1 PO
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-1 CS
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 5
1. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. P Jose Rosario - E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed base-runner to advance to 3rd)
3. 2B Luis Acosta - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
5. P Brian Smith - E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed base-runner to advance to 2nd)
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: NONE
WEATHER: Sunny, cool, and VERY breezy with temperatures in the 60’s
First team to 60 wins! Onward to 70, 80, 90 and 100!
I. Hate. The. Mets.
OK Marlins -- take 'em down. Fernandez, at home, tomorrow for the Fish.
Gotta say, though -- as much as I can't stand them, the Cardinals have had some very impressive late-inning wins against premier closers.
Very impressive that he hit a 3-2 curve ball. Such a dynamic ballplayer. If he ever learns the strike zone....
If Jason Hammel doesn't get a potato chip sponsorship deal, somebody messed up. Attaboy, Jason!
I am looking forward to AChap facing the Cardinals.
Sure is fun to watch them score finally. To think they were no-hit until the 7th...
Got to admit it - it was comforting seeing Rondon come out for the eighth after just taking a two run lead ... And put the hammer down with a 7 pitch inning. Good stuff
GRAND SLAM RUSSELL
blown the hell open...7 run lead
11 hits off Wainwright tonight. Everything going right for the Cards right now. Motherfucking motherfuckers.
it was more no-doubt than bryant's HR. it wont make any end-of-season highlight reels, but that one was booked to leave on contact.
Javy! Javy! Javy!
How sweet was that - Cranked it!
393 happy feet
cubs take a 2 run lead in the 7th. sweet.
...and the Cards tie and take the lead in the 9th. off Familia.
Familia blows his first save of the season -- gives up 2 in 9th to the Cards.
Not much going our way these days.
no-doubt HR towering to CF...tie game.