Theo to Cubs Ever so Close
This appears just about close to being finalized. Here's the latest and to open up a new set of comments.
- Epstein and family are apparently house hunting already in Chicago.
- Heyman tweets that there is a bit of discussion whether #cubs send cash or minor leaguers to #redsox for theo. so far boston prefers the $.
- Same article says ...an industry source said Tuesday that Cubs owner Tom Ricketts spoke with Epstein last week and that Epstein met with Cubs president Crane Kenney in Chicago last weekend (I presume to settle how much of Kenney's salary would be going to Epstein).
- Kaplan with a pretty thorough rundown of how the events transpired. I can't find it now, but I think it was Kaplan reporting that Epstein's very comfortable with Wilken and Fleita.
- Kevin Goldstein at BP and ESPN Insider (subscriptions required) goes over the state of the organization that Theo will inherit.
- George Ofman tweets: Word from sources close to situation: Ryne Sandberg not on Theo's short list to be manager at this time
Theo did try and hire Ryno to manage Pawtucket though last year, so even if he doesn't quite think he's big league ready, possibility as a major league coach could loom.
- Red Sox pull a page out of the Cubs playbook and start the smear campaign on Francona, Epstein and some of the players.
Some video of Epstein discussing player evaluation after the jump...
That's all for now folks...
we can only hope...
The things you have to do to pay for James Shields contract.
I wonder if they'll have to make use of the Guaranteed Rate logo, which is a giant red arrow pointing downward.
unsurprisingly, the White Sox continue a tradition of stupid stuff....
@DannyEcker BREAKING: Guaranteed Rate has purchased naming rights to U.S. Cellular Field. Will be known as Guaranteed Rate Field thru 2030.
that was a very kind 3rd strike to hendricks to end the 3rd.
man on 3rd, 0 outs and got 2 pop-ups and a K...Maddux-lite indeed
how did Fowler not score from 2nd on a double?
by making bad decisions...
he held on a popup (in case he needed to tag up) that bounced off the wall then jogged to 3rd. there were 0 outs so that probably played into the casual nature of how he played it.
Not watching -- how did Fowler not score from 2nd on a double?
Well I assume Ross is going to catch Lester in the playoffs, and it looks like Contreras is going to catch everyone else. I could see the Cubs keeping three catchers on the playoff roster as it would give them flexibility and Montero would have a left handed bat with some pop (at least historically) off the bench.
Aren't Montero and Ross already in a tie for third catcher?
Higher than Chris Perez's mailbox.
Contreras starting at catcher for a day game after he caught the night before. What do people think the odds are that Montero is left off the post-season roster, or is at best the third catcher?
Does he project as a starter, a relief pitcher, or is it too soon to tell?
Rizzo getting a well deserved breather today with Bryant at 1B. Soler back in lineup batting cleanup and playing LF, otherwise all of the all-stars batting 1-5 again (what a luxury)
in his last 11 innings, he has 21K, 6BB, 4 hits and one ER. Nice!