Cubs Draw Blanks at Indian School Park
Six pitchers combined to throw a five-hit shutout with ten strikeouts, as the Giants blanked the Cubs 4-0 in AZ Instructional League action at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale this afternoon.
Lanky 6’5 20-year old RHP David Henrie (2011 NDFA – Trinidad State JC) made his pro debut for the Cubs today, getting the start and throwing one inning. He allowed one run on a walk and two singles, and struck out one (the first man he faced, on three pitches). The Cubs signed Henrie last month after watching him pitch for the Arvada Colts in the Rocky Mountain Baseball League (a collegiate summer "wood bat" league) and a subsequent work-out for Cubs scouts at Fitch Park on August 15th.
Also making his pro debut today for the Cubs was 16-year old Venezuelan switch-hitting catcher Mark Malave. One of the top-rated 16-year old International players available at the start of the International Signing Period, Malave received a reported $1.6M bonus (equivalent to “1st round money”) this past July. He is a big dude (6'3), a typical catcher, bottom-heavy and barrel-chested. He was a DH today, and went 0-3 with two strikeouts (both swinging) and a 1-3 tap-out. He looked over-matched at the plate, but you have to remember he is the same age as a HS junior in the U. S. (he won’t turn 17 until next year).
21-year old RHRP Tony Zych (Cubs 2011 4th round draft pick out of the U. of Louisville) pitched the 6th inning. He came out firing high-velocity gas and a sharp-breaking slider, and had an easy eight-pitch 1-2-3 inning with lots of swings & misses and two strikeouts. I wouldn't be surprised if Zych ends up on the same track in 2012 as Kevin Rhoderick and Aaron Kurcz this past season, starting the year at Daytona.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Zeke DeVoss, LF: 1-3 (1B, 1-3, P-1, PO)
2. Javier Baez, SS: 1-3 (F-8, K, 1B)
3. Rafael Lopez, DH #1: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, 4-3)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, 6-3)
5a. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-2 (K, L-4)
5b. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (K)
6a. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-1 (1B, HBP, CS)
6b. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-1 (1B)
7. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 0-2 (F-7, 2-3 SH, L-5)
8. Mark Malave, DH #2: 0-3 (K, 1-3, K)
9. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, K, F-9)
10. Neftali Rosario, DH-C: 0-2 (K, F-7)
11. Justin Marra, C-DH: 1-2 (K, 1B)
1. David Henrie: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (16 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
2. Charles Thomas: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 36 pitches (23 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Felix Pena: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 BALK, 36 pitches (23 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Tony Zych: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 8 pitches (7 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Jose Rosario: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 23 pitches (16 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
1. 2B Carlos Penalver - E4 (errant throw at 1st base on single allowed batter-runner to advance to 2nd base)
2. RF Reggie Golden - E9 (dropped line drive allowing batter to reach base safely)
3. SS Javier Baez - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90’s
And he gets out of it by K-ing Braun, Lucroy and Carter!
Let's get some runs!
welcome to the cubs j.nathan.
2 pitches into the inning and there's a guy on 3rd with 0 outs (triple).
his velocity is hanging around 91/92mph.
Always a good idea to bring in Richard against a LH batter.
Russell left game with left heel contusion from foul ball on Saturday. Started to bother him during the Sunday game.
a.russell out and down into the clubhouse...no one knows why.
it's very hot on the field, so it might be heat related.
I blame the All-Star game again, or else Michael Barrett.
Miller park roof is closing. Hmmm, might play differently now?
Lester at 72 pitches through 3. Roof closing might get him through 6.
Middlebrows pulls a calf or hamstring. Len says he blew a tire rounding 1st. Nieuwenhuis enters game.
Now roof opening. Dizziness. No AC in the ballpark wrt the field.
just to lighten the mood:
Shark's day: 5.2 IP 5 Runs (all earned), 8 Hits, 2 HR. Left the game down 5-0 to Yankees.
Anyone expecting game 4 NLCS Shark vs Hammel or Lackey?
First inning: two on, no out, Rizz and Zobrist due up. Don't score.
Third inning: two on, one out, KB and Rizz due up. Don't score.
This is getting' old, fellahs.
KB still with ZERO RBI since the A/S break. Ouch.
62 through 2ip...yow.
it's an off day for d.ross, too. the wild pitch + passed ball in 2 separate strike 3 calls allowing the runner to reach 1st and the 5sb through 2ip makes for a bad game so far. ross cant shoulder any blame for some of those SBs, especially that villar steal of 3rd while lester watched him.
39 pitch inning by Lester. I guess it's a wash vs yesterday's 1st when Lackey gave up 2 run HR.
39 pitch, 2 run, 1st inning for lester. bleh.
horrible control so far today.
lester threw over to 1st! ...badly. braun takes 2nd.
it was a slow rainbow throw.
wow...villar just stole 3rd (after stealing 2nd) by walking 1/2 way to 3rd and then just sprinting toward 3rd with lester watching him do it from the mound.