Matt Garza, and if innings were dogs.

Man, life ain't fair.
Oh wait, this isn't life, it's the Cubs.
Which is worse.
Matt Garza gives up a first inning run, then shuts down the Houston Astros all the way til Carlos Lee comes up with 2 outs and a man on in the top of the 9th.
Ding.
Ties it up, ruins Garza's day.

He finishes all 9, but it's not til the 12th that the Cubs can get another run and beat the worst team by FAR in all of baseball.
If the Cubs pull out a win today, it'll be Houston's 100th loss.
They're 36 and a half out.
They have 8 more losses than the 2nd worse team in baseball, the Minnesota Twins.

Ah, but today the Cubs have to trot out Rodrigo Lopez.
I believe Rodrigo averages about 5 innings a game, yet somehow he's got 5 wins to go with the 6 losses, and every time I see him in a game I...

You know what?
Nevermind.
Beating a dead horse.

But I hope the dog thing gets you at least a tiny laugh.

Comments

every day lahair does something is another day soriano playing for someone else becomes more likely...

it won't be a pretty trade...hopefully they'll suck it up rather than taking on a useless crap-ball pitcher and pretending he needs to get starts. at least they cut their last one in spring rather than pretending they needed to keep him on in 2011...even if it ultimately didn't matter.

can they shift both Z and soriano, though? hell of an offseason task for a new GM.

Soriano for Zito? lolz.

Soriano for Adam Dunn - BAM!

good one again this go around, btw, CB.

This blog has gone to the dogs.

Thanks.
And...Can't wait to see what new gm can do here.

What could this mean? (Sign held by a couple of fem-fans in LF bleachers.)

"I'm Starlin for Castro"

len was confused to...so was me and my fiance.

I pun on Jonesin is only thing I can think of.

Maybe Starvin'-->Starlin? Or maybe they are just morons. "I'm Darwin' for Barney!" "I'm Koyie for Hill!" "I'm Reed-y for Johnson!" Well, that last one actually works a bit. . .

That's undoubtedly it.

Maybe they are just dumb whores?

It makes sense the same way it makes sense that Ricketts keeps his squash partner, Crane Kenney, on the payroll.
I wish I could trust the Ricketts family to make good decisions. Meanwhile, I'm gonna stick with the Mayan calendar predicitions. Cubs in 2012!

they're enthusiastically doing "the wave" @wrigley.

okay, im now a english soccer fan rather than a baseball fan.

it's been fun. later, all.

True Cubs fans disdain the wave. Oust the fraudulent fans! Nevermind, that would just about empty the place.
Meanwhile, Joe (the "best second baseman" &*^%$)Morgan, is doing the Chicken Dance at Cincinnati's Oktoberfest today.

ha...it's probably cuz of morgan's old batting "tick" where he winged he arms up/down as a timing mechanism.

there was a shocking full house today, btw...people must be wanting to get the last of the summer in doing something/anything before the hardcore cold rolls in. last night it wasn't nearly as full.

cubbies win 2 nailbiters in a row...too bad fun and competitive cubs wins are coming from the 100 loss astros.

sigh.

As wins go, these are lose-lose. Not only do they not indicate that the Cubs are improving, they also move the Cubs farther down the draft pick line. Hell, they aren't even spoiling anyone.

yeah, it's go-nowhere petty wins, but it's been 2 fun games to watch. there haven't been enough of those on the cubs side this year.

Today was the Cubs' 4000th win at Wrigley.

And nobody is mentioning that the hr today was LaHair's 200th hit of the season.

lol. wut? I don't know if that's a joke or just a mistake.

Lahair is fun to watch. The usual pitching adjustment may not come this year. Just not enough time.

Wscr host today said some scouts gave lahair as .270 hitter with 25 hr power.

Yeah give Pena another contract

Submitted by Old and Blue on Sat, 09/17/2011 - 5:05pm.

===========================

O&B: With all the time LaHair has spent in the minors, he's not exactly an unknown to the pitchers around the National League. Many of them probably faced him while coming up through the minors.

The league making an adjustment to the player and then the player having to adjust back applies more to younger players with minimal minor league experience than it would to somebody like LaHair.

You'd still feel a lot more comfortable about him had he got 200 PAs instead of 45.

Time to bench Soriano, Johnson and Byrd, in my opinion. Let the "kids" play, to give the new GM some more info about his 2012 40 man.

Everyday outfield of LaHair Campana Colvin? What's it going to hurt. It'd be nice to see DJ get a start at second once in a while since he's up. Not like we need to see more Barney right now.

Pena and Aramis are probably the only two veterans who need to continue to start pretty much every day.

LeHair is first baseman, play him there.

I'm pretty sure LaHair has played more minor league games in LF than anywhere else. He's below average as either a LF or 1B regardless. But Pena will be manning first base at least until his type B status is cemented.

724 at 1st
132 in Left
45 in "OF"
23 in Right
according to BR.

Bryan LaHair played more games in LF than at 1B in both 2009 (at Tacoma) & 2010 (at Iowa), although he played mostly 1B for the I-Cubs this season.

Part of that is probably a function of who else was on the roster.

Quade in postgame interview said he's playing the kids sunday. not sure what that means other than giving Soriano and Aaram the day off...I hate the lineups that have Baker batting 4th.

• Hmmm, my math might be fuzzy but if he retired 3 batters with 3 pitches, how did he get a 1/1 GO/AO ratio?

bradsbeard 1 hour 20 min ago view
  • Pls DFA Peralta when Richard comes back. Richard 1 IP, O R, O ER, 0 BB, 2 Ks in first rehab appearance. We really need to trade for a LHRP.

chitownmvp01 1 hour 38 min ago view
  • "The Boston Red Sox were banned from signing any international players for the next year and had five of their teenage prospects declared free agents on Friday after a Major League Baseball investigation showed they circumvented signing-bonus rules last year, a source familiar with the situation told Yahoo Sports."

Rob Richardson 5 hours 17 min ago view
  • The thing with Heyward is its not just free agency. He is way under performing his career #s. He's making the same % of contact but his soft contact is much higher and hard contact much lower than all his previous years so there is something very specifically going on this year causing the issues. Chances are he will eventually get back to his previous #s and it's better to get the slump now and get that hot run later but I wish I knew what is different about this year. He's either just not seeing the ball as well or a swing change is causing it.

• Only 3 pitches for Leathersich. Not much of a rehab outing.

Thanks for the reporting Phil.

QuietMan 5 hours 44 min ago view
  • He's the nastiest pitcher I've seen in awhile. I'm gonna give them all a mulligan on this one.

Coghlan's strike out was more disappointing. He was fighting off a lot of pitches and not swinging at crap, and on the last pitch, he swung at stuff he was laying off, and struck out.

And Heyward, too. I don't blame Heyward - I blame free agency. I hate it. You almost never get a valid return on the investment.

I look forward to the day when ball players own the teams. The current economics are not sustainable.

• Oh, I'm sure you're right. He's not 27-27 in saves for nothing. But, man, I hope they learned last night that he didn't throw a single pitch in the zone to KB, Contreras or Baez, and they all just kept swinging.

• Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.

• I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.

The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.

• I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable

cubbies.4ever 17 hours 45 min ago view
  • Did you expect anything different?

• Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?

• men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.

cubs lose :(

• UH OH! RALLY TIME!

• Getting tired of this Heywood weak sauce

jacos 19 hours 30 min ago view
  • Yep, can't say I disagree with that. His first batter and resulting walk was just brutal. Reminded me of a bit of Jacque Jones spiking his throws into the ground from RF.

Eric S 19 hours 39 min ago view