Sleeping Air Traffic Control: maybe it's the Cubs' fault.

Man was that ever a sleep-inducing Chicago Cub performance.

They managed 5 sluggish singles and 1 drowsy double off hypnotizing Colorado pitcher Jhoulys Chacin, who went all 9 innings.
This was like watching a 2 hour Lunesta commercial.
Bored umpire Jerry Layne must have been semi-dozing when Carlos Pena hit a line drive foul ball. It hit him in the ankle, one can only imagine the sound, and I almost hurled.

Matt Garza gave up a couple singles and a walk to load 'em in the 2nd, when Chris Ianetta hit one over Marlon Byrd's head. His back to the play, Starlin Castro thinks Ianetta's pulling into second. He catches Byrd's throw and in mid spin sees Ianetta's on his way to third and very gettable, but throws it over Aramis' head and into the dugout.
4-zip Rockies, and you could have hit the sack right then.

In Garza's 3 starts, the 6-7 Cubs have scored a total of 4 runs, all in his first loss to the 6-7 Pirates.

I woke up around 11, watched the Hawks lose to the Canucks.
Then... I couldn't sleep.

Comments

"This was like watching a 2 hour Lunesta commercial."

lulz.

"Jerry Layne must have been semi-dozing when Carlos Pena hit a line drive foul ball. It hit him in the ankle, one can only imagine the sound..."

it was unreal loud given he was 90ft. away from where it was hit.

• Eloy Jimenez grand slam tonight. Hoping Soler power returns and gets hot but future looks bright in the outfield regardless.

Eric S 2 hours 15 min ago view
  • Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

• Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 3 hours 20 min ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 3 hours 47 min ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 4 hours 14 min ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 5 hours 42 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 7 hours 17 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 8 hours 57 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 8 hours 58 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 9 hours 37 sec ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 9 hours 2 min ago view
  • La Stella at 2B...Baez at 3B, or vice versa. Zobrist in RF, Bryant in LF No one gets bumped.

Dusty Baylor 9 hours 11 min ago view
  • If Coghlan is leading off, I assume Fowler is getting the day off. Who is supposed to lead off, then? Someone has to get on base for Bryant and Rizzo. Coghlan's OBP is .346 with the Cubs. Jackson's was .304. LaStella can lead off, but then he has to play second or third, and bump Zobrist or Baez.

Unless he gets hot, Coghlan will likely change places with Soler soon.

VirginiaPhil 9 hours 12 min ago view