2010 Winter Meetings Day Two
10:32 PM CST (Rob G.): Reader QuietMan does it again with this Bruce Levine radio report. Levine speculates that Pena is going to cost around 2/14 with either a 3rd year vesting option or a club option.
- He puts A. Galarragga for Gorzelanny out there.
- Says Chris Davis is a back-up plan if they don't get Pena..
- Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram says the Cubs have interest in Chris Davis but aren't going to give up much.
7:32 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Miles pees all over the Davis/O'Day rumor.
6:05 PM CST (Rob G.): Joe Cowley tweeting some nonsense about Konerko to the Cubs.
6:00 PM CST (Rob G.): Ed Price tweets that a deal is in the works involving Chris Davis and Darren O'Day coming to the Cubs.
And fwiw, I don't believe getting Chris Davis would prevent the Cubs from going after Pena, LaRoche and the like. No way the Cubs are handing him Davis the 1b job. My guess is he's a utility option (as he can play 3b as well) and Rudy Jamarillo project for the future.
4:23 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Levine radio report thanks to one of our awesome readers.
- Detroit with interest in Gorzelanny (Link from Detroit papers here).
- Ignore the LaRoche talk, Cubs making push for Pena on a 2-year deal with a possible 3rd year option.
Link to ESPN Chicago saying Cubs will meet with Pena's agent again later today.
4:16 PM CST (Rob G.): It seems everyone expects Konerko to sign with the White Sox. Orioles will be "in on" Derrek Lee if the medicals check out.
- Teams are showing interest in Rich Harden, possibly as a reliever.
- Matt Garza is another top starting pitcher that could be moved with the Brewers and Rangers mentioned at the moment.
4:14 PM CST(Rob G.): How I love Wrongway! His last tweet.
Look out for the #Brewers. They're rekindling Matt Garza talks with Rays. Possible deal could include supposedly "untouchable'' Matt Cain.
3:55 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Miles though doubts the Cubs interest in LaRoche.
3:46 PM CST (Rob G.): Scott Miller takes it a step further and says the Cubs would like to close a deal soon with LaRoche.
2:48 PM CST (Rob G.): I guess Carlos Pena is going to be too expensive. Morosi says Cubs are going after Adam LaRoche.
12:31 PM CST (Rob G.): The Cubs and Webb's representatives have a meeting scheduled this afternoon according to Jerry Crasnick.
12:21 PM CST (Rob G.): Some nuggets from Bruce Levine's chat.
- Colvin is Plan B if the Cubs don't find a first basemen they like. Even if they do, Colvin will work on the position to give Quade some flexibility during the season.
- Fukudome is on the block, but only if Hendry knows he's getting another left-handed bat, either in the trade or ready to sign.
- The Cubs have talked relievers with Toronto and Texas with Jason Frasor's name coming up. There seems to be a Chris Davis for Robinson Chirinos deal that would work for both teams but the Cubs want to expand it and get a major league reliever in exchange for adding a starting pitcher to the deal.
- Gorzelanny can be had, but only if the Cubs have a deal in place for another starting pitcher.
11:30AM CT (Cubnut): Rosenthal mentions "Kerry Wood" and "White Sox" together. Yeechhh! KR says Yankees also still interested in Kid K but won't deal with it until after Cliff Lee lands.
Day 2 of Operation .500
- The guy who voted for 2 Pirates in the Rookie of the Year voting this year is saying the Cubs are shopping Tom Gorzelanny "aggressively". I think in rumor speak that means Hendry called at least 2 other GM's.
- Hendry met with Scott Boras last night and brought his muscle with him, Greg Maddux. It's assumed they chatted about Carlos Pena, but don't forget Xavier Nady is his client too. I thought I'd put that thought in your head....Merry 'Effin Christmas!
- The same article says Cubs also have Adam LaRoche and Lyle Overbay on their radar.
- Brandon Webb is being courted by the Nats, Cubs and Pirates. The Cubs have been in talks with the Blue Jays, Rangers and Reds as well with only Chris Davis's name being mentioned.
trevor clifton (high-A) could be interesting in a couple seasons...could even become a high/middle rotation guy. he's got a lot of pluses in his pitching except control.
eric leal's (high-A) progression through the minors should be worth watching even if only projects to be an mid/end-rotation starter.
we also gotta keep a long-distance eye on guys like jose paulino (ss-A) and preston morrison (A).
As Johnny Bach used to say when it was time for the MJ Bulls to crank up the defensive pressure: "Release the Dobermans!", and Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and Harper would just suffocate the other team.
I'd love to add Carl Jr. to that group - he's got the stuff.
Historically, the Moneyball guys have been great at identifying productive hitters. Not so much with pitchers.
Wow - Pierce Johnson with an ERA of 8.01 in 42IP!
What a stud prospect! Must be pitching with a pierced johnson.
Looks like Ryan Williams is the only legit prospect there. That is sad...
Well it would seem that's all they need now. "Stropy" can have his moments, but he's been more consistent post-asg.
Take THAT, Cardinals -- you beat Fernandez, we beat Sale.
I really like Lackey as a 6-inning pitcher.
Three amigos? Because the Dominican, the Venezuelan, and the Cuban?
Maybe the three-headed dragon?
Who says Contreras can't frame? Stone cold robbery of Eaton with that called third strike for the first out in the eighth
Three amigos time?
he should hit more of those. that would be an ideal outcome. /moneyballs
Russell with 19 RBI in July so far. Grand Slams help.
...and Familia with back-to-back blown saves. Blows a one-run lead vs. Rockies today, gets his 2nd consecutive loss.
I am OK with the Mets missing the playoffs and suffering crushing losses at home --- just want them to beat St. Louis.
He played with fire twice agains the Cubs -- unfortunately, the Cubs couldn't stop swinging.
How about Kyle Farnsworth? I know he was consistently upper 90s.
If he puts up Soriano numbers I will be ecstatic
I think Javy is learning--but he's learning to make contact, not learning to lay off pitches out of the zone. A quick glance at his plate discipline numbers on Fangraphs shows that his contact rate is up, especially his contact rate out of the zone, but his swing rate is up too, especially his swing rate out of the zone.
I definitely saw ballpark radar guns go up to 102 on Kerry Wood back when he was still a starter, but who knows how accurate they were.