Cubs Saturday Rumor Round-Up
Since I know you beasts are dying to gossip...
- ESPN Boston reported that the Red Sox made some progress in acquiring Adrian Gonzalez. Ken Rosenthal countered that the Cubs are very much in the mix (tease). Buster Olney one upped them both this morning and is reporting a deal is in place for Gonzalez to go to the Red Sox pending a physical and the team has been granted a window to try and negotiate an extension.
- Zack Greinke is another big name the Cubs should be in on, but will fall short landing. The latest rumor there is the Rangers are trying to get him and Cliff Lee this offseason. The Cubs instead are focused on...
- Jerry Crasnick tweeted yesterday that the Nats & Cubs are gonna duke it out for Brandon Webb. The Cubs lost the first round battle against the Nats last year over Matt Capps. And in case you forgot, the last time Webb pitched for anyone to watch he was hitting 84 mph on the gun. Now Fangraphs says his average was 88mph back in the heyday, so I guess he can find 4 mph as he progresses, but that's what most of us guessed about Mark Prior all those years too.
- Aaron Harang is going to try and resurrect his career at pitcher-friendly Petco Park.
- Bleacher Nation has its own source saying the Cubs could be landing Chris Davis soon. Ace over there is on the up and up, so I'm sure he indeed was told that, but like so many rumors, that doesn't mean it will end up happening.
Rumors will be flying with Winter Meetings ready to start, so stay tuned to this bat channel.
Tom Seaver has The Cubs number tonight
I hope we get to see a repeat performance of this from Q. Berry.
Baez strikes out in his first at bat, but not whirling dervish style. Just missed it, didn't unwind like a uncoiling spring - just a clean miss. Call me optimistic, but I call that progress.
The Mariners recalled RHP Tony Zych from Triple-A Tacoma. First big league action for the former Cub prospect.
ah, the fair weather fans are back at wrigley.
long popout to CF, not even on the track, and 1/2 the place was popping and cheering like it was gonna end up out of the park.
well, that didn't take long.
11 pitches, voto HR...thankfully, solo.
It'll be interesting to see if Baez is still a whirling dervish at the plate. He's rocking it good in AAA, and I've read some good stuff, so fingers crossed.
More bitching about him being traded than Archer
good...he's been stinking up the durham bulls for a couple years now.
Rays DFA Hak-Ju Lee.
Olt for Lee and the circle of life is complete
dusty would have to start baez because both lastella + castro would be pitching because all the other pitcher's arms would have fallen off months ago. it would piss dusty off because baez is a rookie and theo couldn't go out and get him a 39 year old DH to play 2nd. i imagine it would be a 2-box-of-toothpicks night.
lou would have quit his job already, so that's irrelevant and a trick question.
just a theoretical thought...if Dusty was manager (WWDD) or if Lou (WWLD) was manager...
would Javy Baez be in tonight's lineup?
my thought is:
Dusty... Bonifacio would have been brought up and started at 2B
Lou..."I like playing the kids, really I do, but but but Jonathan Herrera really needs to play to stay sharp."
He was replying to tweet who said error should have been hit
Added a 'recent comments' block to the bottom of every 'story' page. Thought it might be helpful. Comments welcome
Jeff Russell and Rafael Soriano DFA's to make room for the callups (Berry and Cahill)