Flash Flood Puts Damper on Festivities at Fitch Park

The Cubs and the A’s Split Squad #1 squared-off in AZ Instructional League action at Fitch Park Field #3 this afternoon, in a game that was halted due to a sudden, torrential rain storm after three innings, with the Cubs ahead 1-0. And it was a real gully-washer, too, as much of Mesa (including Fitch Park) was under water within minutes.

The Cubs scored the lone run of the game in the bottom of the 1st inning. Logan Watkins lined a one-out double into the RF corner, advanced to 3rd base on a WP, and scored on a Josh Vitters sacrifice fly to the warning track in LF. (Vitters once again got the start at 1st base, and handled his one and only chance without incident).

Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):

NOTE: Game was suspended after three innings with Cubs ahead 1-0

LINEUP:
1. Hak-Ju Lee, SS: 0-2 (6-3, 3-U)
2. Logan Watkins, 2B: 1-1 (2B, R)
3. Josh Vitters, 1B: 0-0 (F-7 SF, RBI)
4. Justin Bour, DH #1: 0-1 (K)
5. Max Kwan, C: 0-1 (F-7)
6. Micah Gibbs, DH #2: 1-1 (2B)
7. Reggie Golden, CF: 0-1 (K)
8. Chris Huseby, LF: 0-1 (K)
9. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-1 (K)
10. Willson Contreras, 3B: 0-1 (F-8)

PITCHERS:
1. Matt Loosen: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 42 pitches (24 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO)
2. Alvaro Sosa: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 15 pitches (8 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO

ERRORS: NONE

=================================================

ATTENDANCE: 16 (mostly scouts)

WEATHER: Overcast & VERY breezy, with temperatures in the 80’s

Comments

looks like a Type B free agent

- Dunn, LaRoche among some of the first basement they'll look after
- Wedge, Quade, Sandberg seem to be the top 3 manager options
- thinks Colvin to 1b is still an option and yet again pursuing a left-handed hitting right fielder
- They'll try desperately to move Fukudome

I have to say that I hope he just makes this stuff up, or takes it from sources who are so low level that they have no real impact or knowledge. Desperately try to trade Fukudome so they can bring in a left handed hitting right fielder?

Fukudome is fine ... he just needs to be "platooned" with a guy who's lights-out in the second half. Hell, the dude can probably just be released when he hits the wall again this June.

Fuku had a great August this year and his usual magnificent April. I think it's clear he can't handle the grind of a major league schedule. They should just let him stay home on most road trips except against Milwaukee, St. Louis and the White Sox.

that would be about 100 games a year....probably sit him against some tough lefties.

the 5th time is the charm

Is Burnitz available?

Also, I really hope we don't turn into the Astros. What's the point of getting a guy like Adam Laroche? Is he really going to put us over the top? I'd rather play all kids for a year and rebuild than go down that road.

Eric the Wedgie got an interview from Neal Huntington of the Pirates.

Huntington was the Tribe's asst. GM when Wedge was the Indians manager

...later moved to the Cleveland Indians, by whom he was employed for 10 seasons, serving first as the assistant director of Minor League operations before becoming director of player development (in 1998), assistant general manager (2002–2004), and finally special assistant to the general manager (2006–2007)

Marmol and Byrd seem to be distancing themselves for MVP

LouPa running away with LVP.

Looks like Bob Brenly might be headed to the Brewers: http://twitter.com/1250dougrussell/status/265...

Melvin claims he hasn't even interviewed anyone yet and flat out denies it.