Golden Rules at Instructs
Cubs 2010 2nd round draft pick Reggie Golden slugged a two-run HR over the LF scoreboard and onto 8th Street to give the Cubs a 5-3 lead in the bottom of the 6th, but the Brew Crew rallied for four in the 8th as the Cubs and Brewers played to a 7-7 tie in the Cubs 2010 AZ Instructional League opener at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa this afternoon.
There are 47 Cubs minor leaguers participating in Instructs at Fitch Park (22 pitchers, five catchers, 12 infielders, and eight outfielders), including eight players who are making their U. S. debut after spending the 2010 season playing in the Dominican Summer League, four draft picks and one non-drafted free-agent who signed too late to get into game action in August, and one Korean bonus baby. Also among the 47 is Cubs 3B prospect Josh Vitters, who is at Instructs rehabbing his broken hand and preparing for play in the Arizona Fall League next month.
Two of the newcomers made their pro debut in today's game, as LHP Casey Harman (2010 29th round draft pick out of Clemson) threw 1.1 IP of hitless shutout ball, walking one while striking out two, and catcher Max Kwan (2010 NDFA - U. of Washington) went 1-3 with a single and an RBI.
Harman was Clemson's #1 starter ("Friday night starter") in 2010 and beat #1 ranked Arizona State at the College World Series in June. Although he was selected in the 29th round, Harman received a $150,000 bonus (equivalent to "5th round" money) when he signed with the Cubs at the August 16th deadline.
Kwan suffered through an injury-plagued college career at Tulane and then later at Washington, but he has good size for a catcher (6'3 220), and helps provide depth at the catching position going into the 2011 season.
The Cubs will be playing a 21-game AZ instructional League schedule, with the last game on October 16th (they play every day Monday-Saturday up through 10/16, with no games on Sundays).
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only)
1. Evan Crawford, DH-RF: 1-4 (L-5, 2B, 4-3, 1B, HBP)
2a. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, 4-3, E5, CS)
2b. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-2 (4-6-3 GIDP, K)
3. Micah Gibbs, C-DH: 0-3 (K, F-7, BB, BB, K, R)
4a. Justin Bour, 1B: 1-3 (F-9, F-7, 2B, RBI)
4b. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: 1-1 (2B, BB)
4c. Kyung-Min Na, PR
5. Xavier Batista, DH-LF: 1-4 (1B, K, K, F-7, BB)
6a. Jae-Hoon Ha, CF: 2-3 (F-8, 1B, 2B, R, SB)
6b. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-2 (1B, K, R)
7a. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-1 (F-9, HBP, R, SB)
7b. Willson Contreras, 3B: 1-2 (6-3, 2B, RBI, R)
8. Reggie Golden, LF-DH: 2-3 (BB, FC, HR, 1B, 2 RBI, 2 R, SB, CS)
9. Max Kwan, DH-C: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, K, 5-3 SH, RBI)
10. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-4 (4-3 GIDP, L-6, 5-3, 1-3, RBI)
11. Chris Huseby, RF: PLAYED RF FIRST FIVE INNINGS – DID NOT BAT
1. Aaron Kurcz: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 27 pitches (13 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
2. Charles Thomas: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (6 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Alvaro Sosa: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 41 pitches (26 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Tarlandus Mitchell: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 35 pitches (21 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Casey Harman: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (12 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
6. Brent Ebinger: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 42 pitches (29 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
7. Amaury Paulino: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 8 pitches (4 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
1. 3B Willson Contreras: E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. CF Oliver Zapata: E-8 (bobbled line-drive single to CF, allowing batter to reach 2nd base)
3. CF Oliver Zapata: E-8 (overran ground single to CF, allowing batter to reach 2nd base)
Micah Gibbs: 2-3 CS
Max Kwan: 0-3 CS
ATTENDANCE: 23 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Hot and sunny, with temperatures in the 90’s
Here is the 2010 CUBS INSTRUCTIONAL LEAGUE ROSTER:
ACTIVE LIST (47):
* bats or throws left
# bats both
* Hunter Ackerman
* Brent Ebinger
* Cam Greathouse
* Casey Harman
* Jeff Lorick
* Brian Smith
Alvaro Sosa (ex-C)
Charles Thomas (ex-3B)
* Sergio Burruel
# Micah Gibbs
# Engel Santana
* Justin Bour
* Pin-Chieh Chen
* Ryan Cuneo
* Wes Darvill
* Marco Hernandez
* Hak-Ju Lee
D. J. Lemahieu
* Logan Watkins
* Delbis Arcila
Chris Huseby (ex-P)
* Kyung-Min Na
# Oliver Zapata
I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable
Did you expect anything different?
Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?
men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.
cubs lose :(
UH OH! RALLY TIME!
Getting tired of this Heywood weak sauce
Yep, can't say I disagree with that. His first batter and resulting walk was just brutal. Reminded me of a bit of Jacque Jones spiking his throws into the ground from RF.
The use of Peralta in any
semblance of a high leveragesituation is questionable at best.
fixed that for ya.
The use of Peralta in any semblance of a high leverage situation is questionable at best. Hind sight is easy but Peralta had nothing.
make that just peralta...
a.soriano new OF fielding coach?
Why is Almora jumping up on catches?
"Tommy La Stella (hamstring) will remain on his minor league rehab assignment through at least Friday."
should be an interesting roster shuffle once these guys trickle back in. i imagine patton or peralta are on the hot seat for la stella's return.
6 pitches, 2 run lead.
So am I. Point remains.
Not certain why the site has been slowed. Worked much of Wednesday on it and will continue today. Sorry for the inconvenience. I will probably take it offline for a while, but it will be up before the game against the Mets.