Game thread: Astros (37-55) @ Cubs (42-51)

According to the Playoff Odds Report at Baseball Prospectus, your Chicago Cubs enter play tonight with a .66% chance of reaching the post-season. Yes, point-six-six percent, as in 66 percent of 1 percent. Pretty sad, huh?

The Astros, however, come into the game with a .00075% chance of reaching the playoffs, so by BP's figuring, the Cubs are about 866 times more likely to get to the post-season than are the Astros.

Feeling better now about 2010?

The Astros lead the season series, 4 victories to 2.

Astros lineup v. Carlos Silva (9-3, 3.45; 2-0, 3.12 all-time v. Astros)
Bourn 8, Sanchez 6, Berkman 3, Pence 9, C. Lee 7, Keppinger 4, C. Johnson 5, J. Castro 2, Rodriguez 1

Cubs lineup v. Wandy Rodriguez (6-11, 4.97; 4-4, 3.74 all-time v. Cubs)
Colvin 9, Castro 6, Lee 3, Ramirez 5, Byrd 8, Soriano 7, Soto 2, Baker 4, Silva 1

Comments

carlos silva sure is carlos silva tonight.

this isn't getting any better. after the lineup turns over to bourne for his 2nd ab in the 1st the pen gets up.

i am in awe of the lack of trash on the field and the lack of boo'ing from the stands. bases loaded...

holy leaping stop castro...thanks for that 3rd out.

silva with 11 er in his last 2.1ip (over 2 games)...13 hits, 5bb

ERA from 2.96 to 3.86

Silva looks angry to me. Very angry.

He looks fat to me.

it's been a while since i've seen someone so efficiently murder their year's work. he's still hanging onto a decent WHIP, though.

You wouldn't like Silva when he's angry

I think Silva's green skin is actually from food poisoning.

I think Silva's green skin is actually from food poisoning.
---
There are two other possible explanations...Silva's hemoglobin is based on Copper or he's an Orion Slave trader

So much for the pipedream that the team would start playing better now. Hendry has my blessing to trade away anything that isn't bolted down.

I've got this awful feeling Hendry has had some offers for Silva but didn't pull the trigger.

if silva didn't have a year left, maybe.

no one would want to touch that risk i'd imagine.

Hey look! Carlos Silva!

The only thing more painful than running if you're Derrek Lee is watching Derrek Lee run.

• Good work!

John Beasley 11 min 46 sec ago view
  • crunch 6 hours 49 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 6 hours 49 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 7 hours 22 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 7 hours 46 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 17 hours 54 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 18 hours 4 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk