Game Preview: Cubs (37-47) @ Diamondbacks (32-52)

The Cubs go for 3 in a row. 3 WINS in a row!!!! It's the start of something big, like starting to trade players away.

Ken Davidoff tweets that the Mets are quite interested in Ted Lilly and the Cubs seem to be smart and willing to pay most of Lilly's remaining salary to get it done. No idea whom the prospects or players might be at this point or how serious the talks are, but Lilly's a good fit in spacious CitiField and the Cubs need to start thinking about some future year where they'll be good again and interesting.

Lou has come to terms with the team being sellers and is already talking retirement. Is that a white flag I see in your pocket?

I'll put the lineups up when they become available.

UPDATE: Fukudome 9/Theriot 4/Lee 3/Byrd 8/Ramirez 5/Soriano 7/Castro 6/Soto 2/Dempster 1

Also Brian Schlitter to disabled list with a shoulder impingement, Mitch Atkins called up.

Comments

Schlitter to the DL with "right shoulder impingement" and Atkins called up.

that's schitty.

that's ok, he's found another line of work;

I'm traveling and so, am just catching up on yesterday's baseball news.

I hope my fellow Cub fans won't let this year's struggles prevent you from enjoying what's really important in life. This, for example:

Awesome!

I enjoy watching them suffer

They're suffering again. Gave up 7-4 lead tonight at Colorado. Game now tied 7-7 after three-run Rockies eighth inning.

wow no one in parachat.

YOU'VE CHANGED!!!!!!!!

ha.

@!#%$! Lee drops another toss to first.

Maybe I need anger management counseling but...Wuddup with that?

I saw that, about Parachat and was about to post it. Fucking quitters. First off night I have in months and no one is there to amuse me; btw, Aramis!

Hi Carlos!

The Rickets are cutting back and Parachat is one of the casualties. I heard Hendry might swap Parachat for an old AOL Chatroom.

All that stands in the way is getting Parachat to waive it's No Trade Clause.

I thought it was the player option that was the real problem, and the cost of shipping its personal emoticon coach everywhere it goes.

Off-topic fantasy question for anyone so inclined:

Was offered Ethier for A-Rod. It's a keeper league (up to five guys can be kept), and I've been contemplating dealing A-Rod anyway, since I don't know how much longer he'll be keeper-worthy, and I'm pretty much out of the race this year.

For the rest of this season, I have A-Ram and Prado who can cover 3B, and I have Werth, Span, Boesch, G. Jones, Stanton and LaPorta who can play OF.

Ethier, obviously, is keeper-worthy.

Complicating things is the owner offering me this deal is the most annoying in the league, so I'm not inclined to help him, yet I know that shouldn't play a role.

I'm leaning toward doing it but wanted to hear any other thoughts.

I would make the trade if you don't want to be as competitive this year. I wouldn't make the trade if you want to be more competitive this year.

In other words, ARod probably is better over the rest of this year, Ethier better in the future.

Of course, I traded Strasburg for ARod, so not sure if I am the most unbiased advisor.

Sounds a bit like re-arranging deck chairs. Both guys are pretty good all-around contributors, and you don't have positional scarcity at 3rd or OF to make you particuarly motivated either way.

In general it's always good to say how big your league is and what the stats used are when asking for advice and suggestions.

I left out the details because I figured it was a big WGAF.

But it's 11 teams, offensive stats are AVG, HR, RBI, R, SB, OBP, SLG. Pretty standard Yahoo league with just a few additional categories.

For this year, it's definitely rearranging deck chairs. Holding on to A-Rod isn't going to affect me much one way or the other. The notion of Ethier vs. an aging A-Rod for the future is what intrigues me.

Yeah I realized that. I think Ethier is probably a little overrated. A-Rod has been one of the best in the game and I don't see Ethier ever getting there.

BP has their forecasted total average for the next five years.

Year Arod Ethier
2011 .310 .302
2012 .308 .302
2013 .306 .305
2014 .295 .302
2015 .293 .301

Hope that helps.

tough call, but personally a 3bmen much harder to find than an OF and even with the injuries and decline, he should still be top 5 3bmen for a few years.

or it was all 'roids and you should deal him now...

Yeah, the 3B/OF thing is a tough part of it going forward.

Thanks to all for the input.

• Anybody else have issues accessing the site this afternoon/evening?

Eric S 6 min ago view
  • Boras is 63, maybe he'll be retired or dead by the time Bryant, Russell, Almora, Albertos all hit free agency. Doubt he will be before Jake hits there though.

cubbies.4ever 3 hours 26 min ago view
  • Interesting choices when guys get healthy.

LaStella, Fowler & Soler replace Coghlan, Almora and Sczcur? I assume they don't want Almora to sit.

Despite MIggy's demise, I assume they keep him around to mentor Contreras?

• I believe Willson now has more CS than MIggy. The kid has an arm. Also, Russell is amazingly good on those plays at 2nd.

• oh yeah...thanks joe/billy.

poor outing, still got the win, go cubs.

• Although it felt like it, Jake didn't lose to them -- he got the W. (Assuming you are referring to Monday's game)

• Arrieta didn't lose to the Reds. He got the win -- he just didn't pitch like we expect him to.

JoePepitone 8 hours 11 min ago view
  • almora's 1st HR!

• it's not like this CIN team is lost-cause horrible, but aside from defense and power this is a truly horrible team.

kinda crazy arrieta lost to them and yesterday's game had to go 15 innings for the cubs win.

• It looked like Hamilton got screened by Duvall and that Duvall just barely deflected the ball off of his glove--redirecting it slightly without taking away much of its momentum.

At least it didn't turn into a Schwarber/Fowler situation. Hamilton and Duvall are both pretty important youngish players for the Reds.

• he walked off the field on his own. aside from a concussion watch and some attention to his leg/knee that buckled a bit under him, the biggest thing hurt was probably his pride after the ball knocked off his skull.

• After last night, an inside-the-park HR seems kind of run-of-the-mill somehow.

Sounds bad for Hamilton. Hope he's okay--listening on the radio.

Brick 9 hours 18 min ago view
  • SHOW ME THE MONEY: Jose Albertos has signed with Mega-Agent Scott Boras.

Albertos has already received his signing bonus and won't see any additional significant money until he reaches the big leagues, so this is a long-term investment for the Boras Corporation.

Other Cubs represented by Boras include Jake Arrieta, Kris Bryant, Addison Russell, and Albert Almora Jr.

Arizona Phil 9 hours 24 min ago view
  • I am glad Joe is managing this team and not Old and Blue!

Hagsag 11 hours 46 min ago view
  • Baez had Maddon's ass last night. I didn't hear the reason for taking Contreras out last night but whatever game management thingy it was, you don't take out your second hottest hitter. Or is he third? Anyway, you don't take him out. The guy can probably play anywhere in the field, anyway. Did anybody see that nice catch in left he made? I don't think he got a late start on that, just tracked it damn well for a catcher.

• Per Fangraphs...

Bryant took over NL lead in WAR after yesterday's effort. 3.9. Rizzo's at 2.8 and 8th in the league. Rizzo actually with better offensive numbers (161 wRC+ versus 146 for Bryant), but Bryant gets a good bump because of defense and position(s) played.

Fowler with a 2.8 WAR as well (9th), Zobrist with a 2.7 (14th).

M. Carpenter leads NL with 163 wRC+ just ahead of Rizzo who is 2nd.