Game Preview: Cubs (37-47) @ Diamondbacks (32-52)

The Cubs go for 3 in a row. 3 WINS in a row!!!! It's the start of something big, like starting to trade players away.

Ken Davidoff tweets that the Mets are quite interested in Ted Lilly and the Cubs seem to be smart and willing to pay most of Lilly's remaining salary to get it done. No idea whom the prospects or players might be at this point or how serious the talks are, but Lilly's a good fit in spacious CitiField and the Cubs need to start thinking about some future year where they'll be good again and interesting.

Lou has come to terms with the team being sellers and is already talking retirement. Is that a white flag I see in your pocket?

I'll put the lineups up when they become available.

UPDATE: Fukudome 9/Theriot 4/Lee 3/Byrd 8/Ramirez 5/Soriano 7/Castro 6/Soto 2/Dempster 1

Also Brian Schlitter to disabled list with a shoulder impingement, Mitch Atkins called up.

Comments

Schlitter to the DL with "right shoulder impingement" and Atkins called up.

that's schitty.

that's ok, he's found another line of work;

I'm traveling and so, am just catching up on yesterday's baseball news.

I hope my fellow Cub fans won't let this year's struggles prevent you from enjoying what's really important in life. This, for example:

Awesome!

I enjoy watching them suffer

They're suffering again. Gave up 7-4 lead tonight at Colorado. Game now tied 7-7 after three-run Rockies eighth inning.

wow no one in parachat.

YOU'VE CHANGED!!!!!!!!

ha.

@!#%$! Lee drops another toss to first.

Maybe I need anger management counseling but...Wuddup with that?

I saw that, about Parachat and was about to post it. Fucking quitters. First off night I have in months and no one is there to amuse me; btw, Aramis!

Hi Carlos!

The Rickets are cutting back and Parachat is one of the casualties. I heard Hendry might swap Parachat for an old AOL Chatroom.

All that stands in the way is getting Parachat to waive it's No Trade Clause.

I thought it was the player option that was the real problem, and the cost of shipping its personal emoticon coach everywhere it goes.

Off-topic fantasy question for anyone so inclined:

Was offered Ethier for A-Rod. It's a keeper league (up to five guys can be kept), and I've been contemplating dealing A-Rod anyway, since I don't know how much longer he'll be keeper-worthy, and I'm pretty much out of the race this year.

For the rest of this season, I have A-Ram and Prado who can cover 3B, and I have Werth, Span, Boesch, G. Jones, Stanton and LaPorta who can play OF.

Ethier, obviously, is keeper-worthy.

Complicating things is the owner offering me this deal is the most annoying in the league, so I'm not inclined to help him, yet I know that shouldn't play a role.

I'm leaning toward doing it but wanted to hear any other thoughts.

I would make the trade if you don't want to be as competitive this year. I wouldn't make the trade if you want to be more competitive this year.

In other words, ARod probably is better over the rest of this year, Ethier better in the future.

Of course, I traded Strasburg for ARod, so not sure if I am the most unbiased advisor.

Sounds a bit like re-arranging deck chairs. Both guys are pretty good all-around contributors, and you don't have positional scarcity at 3rd or OF to make you particuarly motivated either way.

In general it's always good to say how big your league is and what the stats used are when asking for advice and suggestions.

I left out the details because I figured it was a big WGAF.

But it's 11 teams, offensive stats are AVG, HR, RBI, R, SB, OBP, SLG. Pretty standard Yahoo league with just a few additional categories.

For this year, it's definitely rearranging deck chairs. Holding on to A-Rod isn't going to affect me much one way or the other. The notion of Ethier vs. an aging A-Rod for the future is what intrigues me.

Yeah I realized that. I think Ethier is probably a little overrated. A-Rod has been one of the best in the game and I don't see Ethier ever getting there.

BP has their forecasted total average for the next five years.

Year Arod Ethier
2011 .310 .302
2012 .308 .302
2013 .306 .305
2014 .295 .302
2015 .293 .301

Hope that helps.

tough call, but personally a 3bmen much harder to find than an OF and even with the injuries and decline, he should still be top 5 3bmen for a few years.

or it was all 'roids and you should deal him now...

Yeah, the 3B/OF thing is a tough part of it going forward.

Thanks to all for the input.

• If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.

billybucks 53 min 39 sec ago view
  • Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."

billybucks 1 hour 36 min ago view
  • This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.

Charlie 1 hour 47 min ago view
  • I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.

They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.

However, several players are just "average" for the last month: Zobrist, Ross, Russell, Ceasar. Montero is terrible, plus he cannot throw anyone out. -WAR. Heyward is abysmal at the plate, but a plus in the OF. Still with RISP he has been terrible. KB has not been driving in runs as of late. But Apparently the team is still above average with RISP according to S Sahadev.

The E-Man 1 hour 53 min ago view
  • I came to that realization tonight. I kept expecting them to play better, but now I realize they aren't going to. They are a .500 team now.
    - They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
    - Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.

billybucks 1 hour 57 min ago view
  • new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup

• Team is .500 since early May and is playing like a .500 team. Lack of offense seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the pitchers...and they aren't handling it terribly well.

.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.

blockhead25 2 hours 14 min ago view
  • ...i hate espn.

nothing like settling into a cubs game to get a few minutes cutaway for an ortiz AB in the 6th inning of the det/bos game.

oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.

• I'm liking this rookie Nathan.

CTSteve 2 hours 30 min ago view
  • Richard DFA'd. Meh...

• Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.

• The next 2 games are nationally televised. I think we dominate tonight, hitting 3 HRs off Shields. Great night for KB to end HR drought facing HR prone pitcher in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league.

chitownmvp01 8 hours 26 min ago view
  • If the ball didn't deflect off the pitcher's mound, the game wouldn't have ended. Montgomery did miss his location though, but if that same contact was made and went in any of direction, good chance of ground out if it doesn't get through.

If it was 1 night later, Chapman would be out there and we probably would be going to extras.

Also, If KB wasn't robbed of a HR, perhaps we would have won. We will never know. Nice play by Melky though.

chitownmvp01 8 hours 28 min ago view
  • The comparison isn't Chapman replacing Rondon. It's Chapman replacing Richard (hopefully) in the pen. Chapman's better.

• I'm with you, Rob. You pretty much summed up how I feel about it.

JoePepitone 12 hours 45 min ago view
  • Been quite the roller-coaster the past two days -- both games, plus the Chapman kerfuffel. How about a couple of nice, comfortable wins before facing Sale? Cubs should definitely wear throwbacks for that game.