32 Days of Cupcakes

Sunday night will mark the unofficial end of the Cubs' early-season Cupcake Schedule, which included games against:

• Atlanta (3 away)
  • Cincy (6 away)
  • Brewers (3 home, 3 away)
  • Houston (3 home)
  • Metropolitans (4 away)
  • Washington (3 home)
  • Arizona (4 home)
  • Pirates (3 away)

That's 32 games against non-playoff teams from a year ago, nearly half (15) against the four clubs which currently hold down the bottom four spots in Jay's Jaffe's National League Power Rankings at Baseball Prospectus: the Nats, Reds, Astros, and Pirates. At this writing, the Cubs have a combined 3-8 mark against those clubs; makes you wonder how long it will be until the Cubs take their rightful place among, or below, that lot. (The Cubs are currently ranked #6.)

Even if the Cubs beat the Pirates tonight and then sweep the weekend series at Great American Ballpark, they'll only have a post-Cupcake record of 17-15. I don't know about you, but from the time the Cubs schedule was first announced, I was hoping for, if not outright expecting, a better start to 2010 than that.

Comments

The Cubs missed taking a bite out of one of these?

*sigh*

I didn't read the whole article, just the heading and the teams were depressing enough. This series and the Houston one are really going to come back and haunt us if we ever make like contenders - a rather large 'if' at this point.

Anticipating a question about how BP compiles those rankings, here's the answer from their site:

"The Prospectus Hit List rankings are derived from Won-Loss records and several measurements pertaining to run differentials, both actual and adjusted, from Baseball Prospectus Adjusted Standings through the close of play on every Thursday."

This helps explain why, for example, the Nationals were ranked below six teams, including the Cubs, who had worse records than Washington.

Plain and simple... we suck!

But at least we don't have Milton Bradley to deal with, too!!

Yes, at least I can root for them to win, even though they won't.

Call it a hunch, but I think the Cubs are going to handle the Cards this year.

Yeah, imagine if they could hit mediocore pitching as well as good pitching.

This team is underwhelming. Lee and Ramirez need to start hitting and we need a long term solution for the bullpen.

Cheers to editor for using 16"clincher ball

Hall of Famer Robin Roberts dead at 83.

Finished his brilliant career with a handful of starts for the '66 Cubs.

Also, by way of Yahoo's Big League Stew, great video of Roberts appearing on the old "What's My Line?" gameshow.

Stock market with a moment of Cubbery today.

Chicago does not know how lucky we are that we did not get the Olympics.

• Even from an on-field perspective, Torres is a 19-year-old beating up High-A pitching who also plays a great SS. Even if he never develops a legit MLB power stroke, he's still an obvious 4-tool guy with a very high floor. Sucks to trade away his next 6-8 years for a closer, albeit a great one.

John Beasley 7 min 43 sec ago view

pretty much sums up my feelings

• You mean Yankees?

QuietMan 6 hours 20 min ago view
  • Cards lose!

Arizona Phil 6 hours 46 min ago view

• I just prefer they don't  acquire players that choke their wives/girlfriends.

• I'd prefer it not happen too.

• Still don't want. Kinda hope they can't work out the extension.

• obviously not, and I'm sure they did their homework...just hope they have some better answers than the Yankees

• Chapman 12+ Career WAR. Currently 4.7:1 k-BB. With Rondon/Chapman/Strop/Nathan/Montgomery/Wood...Its the best pen I can recall other than Sutter or Lee Smith handling things themselves.

Its gonna suck if he gets injured, and it appears he's not the greatest of characters.

But, he'll have another Cuban to hang out with on the team.