32 Days of Cupcakes

Sunday night will mark the unofficial end of the Cubs' early-season Cupcake Schedule, which included games against:

• Atlanta (3 away)
  • Cincy (6 away)
  • Brewers (3 home, 3 away)
  • Houston (3 home)
  • Metropolitans (4 away)
  • Washington (3 home)
  • Arizona (4 home)
  • Pirates (3 away)

That's 32 games against non-playoff teams from a year ago, nearly half (15) against the four clubs which currently hold down the bottom four spots in Jay's Jaffe's National League Power Rankings at Baseball Prospectus: the Nats, Reds, Astros, and Pirates. At this writing, the Cubs have a combined 3-8 mark against those clubs; makes you wonder how long it will be until the Cubs take their rightful place among, or below, that lot. (The Cubs are currently ranked #6.)

Even if the Cubs beat the Pirates tonight and then sweep the weekend series at Great American Ballpark, they'll only have a post-Cupcake record of 17-15. I don't know about you, but from the time the Cubs schedule was first announced, I was hoping for, if not outright expecting, a better start to 2010 than that.

Comments

The Cubs missed taking a bite out of one of these?

*sigh*

I didn't read the whole article, just the heading and the teams were depressing enough. This series and the Houston one are really going to come back and haunt us if we ever make like contenders - a rather large 'if' at this point.

Anticipating a question about how BP compiles those rankings, here's the answer from their site:

"The Prospectus Hit List rankings are derived from Won-Loss records and several measurements pertaining to run differentials, both actual and adjusted, from Baseball Prospectus Adjusted Standings through the close of play on every Thursday."

This helps explain why, for example, the Nationals were ranked below six teams, including the Cubs, who had worse records than Washington.

Plain and simple... we suck!

But at least we don't have Milton Bradley to deal with, too!!

Yes, at least I can root for them to win, even though they won't.

Call it a hunch, but I think the Cubs are going to handle the Cards this year.

Yeah, imagine if they could hit mediocore pitching as well as good pitching.

This team is underwhelming. Lee and Ramirez need to start hitting and we need a long term solution for the bullpen.

Cheers to editor for using 16"clincher ball

Hall of Famer Robin Roberts dead at 83.

Finished his brilliant career with a handful of starts for the '66 Cubs.

Also, by way of Yahoo's Big League Stew, great video of Roberts appearing on the old "What's My Line?" gameshow.

Stock market with a moment of Cubbery today.

Chicago does not know how lucky we are that we did not get the Olympics.

• The Cubs have released RHRP Scott Frazier (2013 7th round dfraft pick - Pepperdine).

A Cubs pitching coach told me in Spring Training 2014 that he thought Frazier had the best pure stuff in the organization. Absolutely electric fastball & breaking ball combo. Other pitchers would gather behind the screen just to watch him throw "live" BP. That's how amazing he was.

Arizona Phil 2 hours 35 min ago view
  • Got a chance to see Diamondbacks RHSP Zack Greinke (15-day DL - strained oblique) throw a rehab start at Sloan Park Friday night. Four of the first seven AZL Cubs hitters singled and the Cubs did score an unearned run in the bottom of the 1st inning, but then Greinke got serious and struck out five in a row.

ZACK GREINKE: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 49 pitches (34 strikes)

Arizona Phil 2 hours 50 min ago view
  • Eloy Jimenez grand slam tonight. Hoping Soler power returns and gets hot but future looks bright in the outfield regardless.

Eric S 7 hours 1 min ago view
  • Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

• Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 8 hours 6 min ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 8 hours 33 min ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 9 hours 15 sec ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 10 hours 28 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 12 hours 3 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 13 hours 43 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 13 hours 44 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 13 hours 46 min ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 13 hours 48 min ago view