32 Days of Cupcakes

Sunday night will mark the unofficial end of the Cubs' early-season Cupcake Schedule, which included games against:

• Atlanta (3 away)
  • Cincy (6 away)
  • Brewers (3 home, 3 away)
  • Houston (3 home)
  • Metropolitans (4 away)
  • Washington (3 home)
  • Arizona (4 home)
  • Pirates (3 away)

That's 32 games against non-playoff teams from a year ago, nearly half (15) against the four clubs which currently hold down the bottom four spots in Jay's Jaffe's National League Power Rankings at Baseball Prospectus: the Nats, Reds, Astros, and Pirates. At this writing, the Cubs have a combined 3-8 mark against those clubs; makes you wonder how long it will be until the Cubs take their rightful place among, or below, that lot. (The Cubs are currently ranked #6.)

Even if the Cubs beat the Pirates tonight and then sweep the weekend series at Great American Ballpark, they'll only have a post-Cupcake record of 17-15. I don't know about you, but from the time the Cubs schedule was first announced, I was hoping for, if not outright expecting, a better start to 2010 than that.

Comments

The Cubs missed taking a bite out of one of these?

*sigh*

I didn't read the whole article, just the heading and the teams were depressing enough. This series and the Houston one are really going to come back and haunt us if we ever make like contenders - a rather large 'if' at this point.

Anticipating a question about how BP compiles those rankings, here's the answer from their site:

"The Prospectus Hit List rankings are derived from Won-Loss records and several measurements pertaining to run differentials, both actual and adjusted, from Baseball Prospectus Adjusted Standings through the close of play on every Thursday."

This helps explain why, for example, the Nationals were ranked below six teams, including the Cubs, who had worse records than Washington.

Plain and simple... we suck!

But at least we don't have Milton Bradley to deal with, too!!

Yes, at least I can root for them to win, even though they won't.

Call it a hunch, but I think the Cubs are going to handle the Cards this year.

Yeah, imagine if they could hit mediocore pitching as well as good pitching.

This team is underwhelming. Lee and Ramirez need to start hitting and we need a long term solution for the bullpen.

Cheers to editor for using 16"clincher ball

Hall of Famer Robin Roberts dead at 83.

Finished his brilliant career with a handful of starts for the '66 Cubs.

Also, by way of Yahoo's Big League Stew, great video of Roberts appearing on the old "What's My Line?" gameshow.

Stock market with a moment of Cubbery today.

Chicago does not know how lucky we are that we did not get the Olympics.

• "The Boston Red Sox were banned from signing any international players for the next year and had five of their teenage prospects declared free agents on Friday after a Major League Baseball investigation showed they circumvented signing-bonus rules last year, a source familiar with the situation told Yahoo Sports."

Rob Richardson 52 min 3 sec ago view
  • The thing with Heyward is its not just free agency. He is way under performing his career #s. He's making the same % of contact but his soft contact is much higher and hard contact much lower than all his previous years so there is something very specifically going on this year causing the issues. Chances are he will eventually get back to his previous #s and it's better to get the slump now and get that hot run later but I wish I knew what is different about this year. He's either just not seeing the ball as well or a swing change is causing it.

johann 1 hour 7 min ago view
  • Only 3 pitches for Leathersich. Not much of a rehab outing.

Thanks for the reporting Phil.

QuietMan 1 hour 19 min ago view
  • He's the nastiest pitcher I've seen in awhile. I'm gonna give them all a mulligan on this one.

Coghlan's strike out was more disappointing. He was fighting off a lot of pitches and not swinging at crap, and on the last pitch, he swung at stuff he was laying off, and struck out.

And Heyward, too. I don't blame Heyward - I blame free agency. I hate it. You almost never get a valid return on the investment.

I look forward to the day when ball players own the teams. The current economics are not sustainable.

• Oh, I'm sure you're right. He's not 27-27 in saves for nothing. But, man, I hope they learned last night that he didn't throw a single pitch in the zone to KB, Contreras or Baez, and they all just kept swinging.

• Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.

• I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.

The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.

• I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable

cubbies.4ever 13 hours 20 min ago view
  • Did you expect anything different?

• Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?

• men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.

cubs lose :(

• UH OH! RALLY TIME!

• Getting tired of this Heywood weak sauce

jacos 15 hours 5 min ago view
  • Yep, can't say I disagree with that. His first batter and resulting walk was just brutal. Reminded me of a bit of Jacque Jones spiking his throws into the ground from RF.

Eric S 15 hours 14 min ago view

fixed that for ya.

• The use of Peralta in any semblance of a high leverage situation is questionable at best. Hind sight is easy but Peralta had nothing.

Eric S 15 hours 29 min ago view