Wang the Drum Slowly
Runey Davis reached base twice on a double and a walk and scored two runs, leading the EXST Cubs to a 7-2 victory over the EXST A’s in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Papago Park Field #2 in Phoenix this morning.
The game was a pre-planned 7-1/2 affair with the Cubs playing as the “home” team even though the game was played at the A’s minor league complex, because the A’s only had enough healthy and rested pitchers available to throw seven innings, while the Cubs needed at least eight opponent's innings to get their scheduled pitchers enough work.
Rebel Ridling (appendectomy with complications) once again was a DH, getting five Plate Appearances in the first six innings. He struck out twice and bounced out weakly two other times, before ripping an RBI single to left in his fifth and final AB.
19-year old 6’0 180 Taiwanese RHP Yao-Lin Wang made his first EXST appearance, going three innings and allowing one run on six hits and a walk. He helped himself by getting a clutch strikeout after the A’s loaded the bases in the 1st inning, and his teammates helped him in the 3rd inning, turning an inning-ending 5-4-3 DP with two runners on base.
There are two Wangs from Taiwan at Extended Spring Training with the Cubs. Yao-Lin (today’s pitcher) is slightly younger and a LOT shorter. (Both Wangs were signed last summer by ex-Cub LHP Steve Wilson, who is now the Cubs Pacific Rim Scouting Coordinator).
Here is today’s abridged box score (EXST Cubs players only):
NOTE: DH #1 Rebel Ridling batted in five of the first six innings, getting five Plate Appearances total in the game.
X. Rebel Ridling, DH #1: 1-5 (4-3, K+WP, K, 1-3, 1B, R, RBI)
1. Francisco Guzman, CF: 0-2 (1-3, 6-3, BB, R, RBI)
2. D. J. Fitzgerald, LF: 1-3 (F-9, K, 1B, 2 RBI)
3. Bobby Wagner, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
4. Brandon May, 3B: 1-3 (L-4, 2B, K)
5. Jonathan Mota, C-DH: 0-3 (P-5, 6-3, P-6)
6. Runey Davis, RF: 1-1 (2B, BB, 2 R)
7. Jae-Hoon Ha, DH-C: 1-1 (F-7 SF, 1B, R, RBI)
8. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-2 (P-5, 1B, R)
9. Rafael Disla, 2B: 1-2 (K, 1B, R, RBI)
10a. Cody Shields, DH #3: 0-0 (BB)
10b. Albert Hernandez, PH: 0-0 (BB)
1. Yao-Lin Wang – 3.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 3/4 GO/FO, 50 pitches (31 strikes)
2. Jesse Ginley – 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/4 GO/FO, 28 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Rogelio Carmona – 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/5 GO/FO, 34 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Yohan Gonzalez – 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 12 pitches (6 strikes)
SS Wes Darvill E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base – did not score)
Jae-Hoon Ha – 2 PB
ATTENDANCE: 2 (but the other guy left early, probably because he wanted to beat the traffic out of the parking lot)
WEATHER: Overcast and blustery, temperatures in the 60’s (obviously held the crowd down)
FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.
White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo
i chose the classy route.
This picture is everything.
that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign
Remember when west coast road trips were a good time to catch up on some reading?
Taboola field is more appropriate.
we can only hope...
The things you have to do to pay for James Shields contract.
unsurprisingly, the White Sox continue a tradition of stupid stuff....
that was a very kind 3rd strike to hendricks to end the 3rd.
man on 3rd, 0 outs and got 2 pop-ups and a K...Maddux-lite indeed