The Return of the Lillyhammer

The Cubs enter the Pacific Time Zone, which coincides perfectly with California native Ted Lilly's return to the Cubs. The Padres might as well just save their energy and give the Cubs this win. To make room on the roster, the Cubs optioned their entire pitching staff to Iowa1, because they won't be needed anymore (I'm auditioning for the TLFC).

Sadly, not much else going on, the Cubs trail the Cardinals now by 5 games which is my personal benchmark for dismissing a team, at least this late in the season2. With only 3 games left between the two clubs, it's gonna take quite a streak by both clubs for the Cubs to make up that ground. The Wild Card is a little more attainable, trailing the Rockies by 3.5 games, but the Giants and Marlins are in the way and the Braves are tied with the Cubs.

I'll post lineups when they become available. Join the late-night fun in Parachat.

1 - Justin Berg was actually sent down.

2 -  Other worthy reasons to dismiss a team: the presence of Dusty Baker, Neifi Perez or Aaron Miles, batting Corey Patterson lead-off, having Ron Coomer as your first basemen, wearing a Pittsburgh Pirates uniform (list subject to change)...

Comments

...and no EI for the game. so bunk...

the later-week blackouts for a team that's 4+ hours away with NO local TV coverage is bad enough.

i give these guy 180 bucks a year for what now? oh yeah, cuz the only other alternative is watching it in a bandwidth sucking and delayed feed for only a chunk less money...and still in those blackout zones.

this game isn't even a blackout zone...they just don't have a contract with either of the 2 TV stations showing the game. they used to show Ch.4 games (SD)...dunno why not anymore. it didn't stop them from tacking on an extra $20 for EI, though.

Effing WCIU. Fine, the damn game is on too late anyways.

Miles at SS = puke

Santo, (resignedly) after Miles grounds into a 3-6-3 DP: "That's all he does, hits ground balls."

When Santo rags on you, you know you're doing bad. Just lousy this year.

The Cubs seem to be ahead of the curve on signing foreign-born prospects.

At least, the Wall Street Journal thinks so.

Thank you dodgers not.

-and K Gregg, not.

Gregg you idiot how did i know ,what a waste of my time and a loss of sleep.

Bonus coverage on ESPN2.

Blanks has a Gregg-speed bat.

"Bonus" coverage.

I'm done. Kevin Gregg...just die.

Kevin. Fucking. Gregg.

Well, that was a fucking disaster.

I kinda wanna see this team get blown to hell. Sell everyone. I don't like any of 'em.

First we waterboard Hendry.

So how many of us expected gregg to blow it?

I wonder what lous thoughts right about know are(you gave me this piece of crap for a closer)

Lou is thinking "Jeez I wish I kept my mouth shut about that lefthanded b.s. and picked my belly button all winter".

ha...that wasn't kevin gregg...it was aaron heilman wearing gregg goggles

I expected the HR. Sad, but true.

2009 Chicago Cubs == Epic Fail

Yeah, Gregg sucks ass, but if this bullshit offense could manage more than a single run against such "stellar" pitching, they never would have been in this position. You look at a boxscore for the Cardinals for example, every hitter is above 300 it seems. You look at the punchless Cubs, an no hitter is above 300--and most are below 250.

Been watching the Cubs since 69, other than the awful pre-Dallas Green 80-82 abominations, this has been the most feckless Cubs offense I can ever remember. Lack of hitting is why this is a .500 team and will be staying home in October.

Jim Hendry? Work on that resume, pal.

"this has been the most feckless Cubs offense I can ever remember"

I thought the 2002 team (under mgrs Baylor and the immortal Bruce Kimm) was pretty fucking feckless. Or is that fecking fuckless?

we're now in a deeper hole than Lou's belly button.

Keep TheRiot and Soto, everyone else, pack your bags and spin the wheel.

...again, let's try the Marlins model...they have it figured out.

$140m worth of brain melting fun.

Dear Kevin Gregg...
... you fucking suck. If you were a state you would be Mississippi. If you were a president you would be Hoover. If you were an African nation you would be Sierra Leone. If you were a bottle of wine you would be 20-year old Red Dagger which has been vomited by a hobo after being stored in the groundskeeper's shed at Three Mile Island. If you were a shitty song you would be "The Way You Do The Things You Do." Douche...
... Hawkeye

this almost makes up for the loss.

.....and if you were a college man, you'd be an Iowa Hawkeye....."

/cyclone'd

As a Gopher, I find that absolutely hillarious.

... If you were a major league baseball team, you would be the Chicago Cubs.

Division? Over.

Wild Card? Good Luck.

September call-ups will be the net topic of conversation.

As I have said 20 times here in 2009: FUCK YOU HENDRY!!!

manny?

21st!!!!

On the bright side, we have 5 more years of Soriano, 2 more years of Bradley, and another year of Aaron Miles to look forward to.

I'd really like to see a serious lineup shake-up for the rest of the season. Let's see what Sam Fuld and Jake Fox can do given the opportunity to play everyday. Future potential is really all we have to keep our interest at this point, so let's give the youngsters a chance (I know Fuld isn't that young, but whatever).

• I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 1 hour 20 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

billybucks 1 hour 28 min ago view
  • The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 2 hours 54 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 4 hours 34 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 4 hours 35 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 4 hours 38 min ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 4 hours 40 min ago view
  • La Stella at 2B...Baez at 3B, or vice versa. Zobrist in RF, Bryant in LF No one gets bumped.

Dusty Baylor 4 hours 48 min ago view
  • If Coghlan is leading off, I assume Fowler is getting the day off. Who is supposed to lead off, then? Someone has to get on base for Bryant and Rizzo. Coghlan's OBP is .346 with the Cubs. Jackson's was .304. LaStella can lead off, but then he has to play second or third, and bump Zobrist or Baez.

Unless he gets hot, Coghlan will likely change places with Soler soon.

VirginiaPhil 4 hours 50 min ago view
  • I suspect the Cubs asked Chris Coghlan if he would accept an Optional Assignment to the minors and he refused (Coghlan has one minor league option left), so either you keep LaStella on the 25 and release Coghlan, or option LaStella to AAA for about a month and have both LaStella and Coghlan available in September-October. (As an Article XIX-A player, Coghlan must give his permission before he can be optioned to the minors, while LaStella has not accrued enough MLB Service Time to refuse an optional assignment).

Arizona Phil 5 hours 11 min ago view
  • Given today's lineup -- maybe they just wanted an extra OF to give Dexter a few days off (i.e. day game after a night game).

• Tommy LaStella has three minor leaue options left so it's no big deal to send him to Iowa, but as of right now he projects to be at 2+124 MLB Service Time by the end of the of the 2016 MLB regular season, which will place him "on the bubble" as far as being eligible for salary arbitration as a "Super Two" post-2016.

But if he spends at least twenty days on optional assignment this season (anything less than twenty days and he will accrue a full season of MLB Service Time), he will not have enough MLB Service Time to have a chance to be a "Super Two."

Arizona Phil 5 hours 24 min ago view
  • this will be his 4th time leading off for the cubs this season...WITH A .500 OB%! HAIL MADDON! THE PLAN (c)2016! HE HAS RISEN! #YOLO #SWAG! KONY 2012!

• I don't hate Coghlan as a PHer but he's leading off today which is as bad as Austin Jackson doing so last year. He doesn't even have the speed.