Trade Deadline Eve

The rumor talk hasn't grown much louder than a whisper so far for the Cubs, a few names sprinkled here or there, but it doesn't appear they'll make any big impact moves.

Ken Rosenthal at FoxSports says the Cubs prefer lefty reliever John Grabow of the Pittsburgh Pirates over the Nationals Joe Beimel. Neither one seems like much of a choice to me as a LOOGY though. Grabow has struck out 8.1 batters per nine innings(7.8 on the season) compared to Beimel and his 5.1 career K/9 (5.4 on the season).  Over his career, Grabow doesn't show much of a difference versus lefties or righties (.742 OPS vs RH, .723 vs. LH).) Beimel for his career has a .721 OPS against versus lefties, .785 versus righties. As for this season, Beimel does a better job of keeping people off base with a 1.33 WHIP compared to Grabow's 1.50 WHIP. Beimel has a .714 OPS against versus righties, .705 versus lefties this season while Grabow has shown a reverse split of .702 versus righties, .715 versus lefties.

Grabow features a low 90's fastball with a change and slider, and tends to give up the flyball over the grounder (at least the last 2 seasons). Beimel keeps the ball on the ground usually(not so much this year) with a fastball in the mid 80's along with a change and curve as well.

Considering Marmol, Gregg, Marshall and Guzman all have OPS against as good or significantly better than either of them, I'm not sure this is much of an improvement for the team, although removing Jeff Samardzija or Aaron Heilman from the roster wouldn't be that bad. Grabow is a free agent after the season and would be a Type A free agent most likely, according to MLBTR.

The other rumor from Wittenmyer is that the Cubs continue in their perpetual search for a left-handed hitting right fielder with Jeremy Hermida and Mark Teahen mentioned.

Comments

"...but it doesn't appear they'll make any big impact moves."

I said this in April. And was scoffed at by some, including The Real Neal. HA! Who is "right now", Mr.! lol

Yes, I want a medal.

It makes me sick to see the f-ing Cardinals pick up real talent while we pickup Jeff Baker and Rag-arm B.J. Ryan.

The whole Zell bullshit really hurts all fans and season ticket holders, as Hendry will not be able to really "make the team better" during a competitive season. But he could care less.

What you said is there wouldn't be any money for big moves. What I said was that you were making assumptions. I was correct. Hah!

"It makes me sick to see the f-ing Cardinals pick up real talent while we pickup Jeff Baker and Rag-arm B.J. Ryan"

The $ 50 million more we spent then the Cardinals should not have Cubs in position to pick "real talent"

But he could care less. - (Zell)

SI's Jon Heyman mini post on Grabow to Cubs possibilities

Maybe part of the reason the Cubs haven't had more than whispers is that they will still be able to make their trades after the "deadline" because they are the sort of trades that will make it through the waiver process (which I know nothing about)?

Cubs traded Hart...

that's HART for the hard of hearing

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

crunch 24 min 10 sec ago view
  • real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

Rob G. 26 min 28 sec ago view
  • four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

crunch 1 hour 32 min ago view
  • On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 5 hours 23 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 5 hours 33 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 5 hours 52 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.

• Thank you for your answer.

#baseballtalk

Tito 6 hours 2 min ago view
  • bless your heart.

• I don't recall you answering my question about quantifying how it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this season, apart from one guy scoring on a sac fly. Can you direct me to your answer? Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 6 hours 8 min ago view
  • Lester's personal catcher has an .809 OPS.

#baseballtalk

Tito 6 hours 11 min ago view
  • we already has this asinine discussion. you didn't like the answer. there's already an answer above you can apply about how a guy goes from 1st base to home on a sac fly that included him stealing 3rd while lester watched from the mound. the fact that the cubs bats, 100% independent of that situation, scored some runs invalidates it as an issue to you. i find that stupid. we will not get anywhere with this. you know we will not get anywhere with this...because we already had this asinine discussion.

#circularlogic

• it's not about SB...it never was.

jake arrieta being slow to the plate isn't comparable to jon lester not throwing to any base. how the runners read off arrieta isn't anything similar to what a runner is reading off lester.

maybe arrieta could use a personal catcher solely to control his running game...but i doubt it's that important.