The End of the Impotence: Theriot's Homerless Streak is Broken
Ryan Theriot's grand slam on Friday put the Cubs ahead to stay, as did his first-inning home run on Saturday.
Friday's blast ended a string of 620 at-bats and 157 games in which Theriot had failed to homer. In terms of GP, Theriot's homerless string was the 15th longest among Cub non-pitchers since 1954.
The list of 15 follows:
- Don Kessinger (5/15/66 through 9/3/68) 404 G
- Larry Bowa (5/13/83 through 8/11/85), 310 G
- Mick Kelleher (4/17/76 through 10/5/80), 304 G
- Don Kessinger (8/16/72 through 7/11/74), 279 G
- Rey Sanchez (8/30/92 through 7/2/95), 256 G
- Richie Ashburn (4/12/60 through 10/1/61), 255 G
- Ivan DeJesus (5/28/80 through 10/4/81), 223 G
- Don Kessinger (7/13/74 through 9/28/75), 220 G
- Don Kessinger (4/24/70 through 6/11/71), 202 G
- Doug Dascenzo (5/5/91 through 10/4/92), 197 G
- Don Kessinger (7/4/71 through 8/13/72), 185 G
- Scot Thompson (7/4/80 through 7/19/83), 179 G
- Larry Bowa (4/5/82 through 5/7/83), 165 G
- Jimmy Stewart (4/18/65 through 5/14/67), 158 G
- Ryan Theriot (4/16/08 through 4/30/09), 157 G
That's a whole lotta shortstops and a whole lot named Kessinger. For what it's worth, Theriot had a far higher batting average (.311), on-base percentage (.387), and slugging percentage (.360) during his homerless streak than anyone else in this group.
And now, in 2009, he has as many home runs as Derrek Lee and Milton Bradley.
Stats from Baseball-Reference.com Play Index
Lineup without You go, We go... probably just applying hamstring precautions
LaStella (2B), KB, Rizzo, Zobrist (RF), Contreras (LF), Heyward, Russell, Ross, Lester
Nathan up. Adam Warren to Iowa. Based on recent performance, I have no argument with that.
Drew Storen DFA'd by Bluejays. Another once interesting reliever who fell off a cliff. Bosio fixer-upper vs. irreparably broken?
Ken Davidoff, NY Post...
An industry source told The Post that the Yankees had asked serious Chapman suitors — a list believed to include the Nationals, the Cubs and the Indians, as well as a mystery team — for their best and final offers. While that doesn’t clinch a trade of Chapman, the impending free agent, it makes such a transaction darn likely. The Yankees intend to hold onto Miller, who is signed through 2018.
I'm thinking mystery team is the Tigers or Giants
from Iowa yesterday in extended inning starts, Cahill was bad/Matusz was pretty good. Soler (0-3, walk), Coghlan (1-3, double, walk) did play in AA.
That's a hell of a first impression by Montgomery. Brian Cashman having a good laugh on that debut.
...and it's a 3 run homer.
hey, vogelbomb had a HR on his 1st game with SEA AAA, too!
montgomery comes on with men on 1st/2nd, 2 out, in the 8th.
"Tommy Stokke of FanRag Sports reports Chris Sale was sent home from U.S. Cellular Field on Saturday after cutting up throwback jerseys that he did not want to wear.
I thought the same. It'd be great luck to face these non-contenders after the trade deadline.
...why isn't j.lucroy playing for TEX yet?
2r HR on a 12-pitch AB.
nathan to join the cubs tomorrow.
Wow in deed.
FOX Sports @MLBONFOX
Chris Sale was scratched from tonight's scheduled start due to a clubhouse incident before the game
he was sent home by the team, too. the wsox released a press statement and everything. they stated it was non-physical in nature.
He was scratched from his start today. No reason given.