Peter Angelos Finally Agrees to Roberts Trade

THIS JUST IN...

Orioles owner Peter Angelos has finally decided to let GM Andy MacPhail trade Brian Roberts to the Chicago Cubs.  In a privately held conversation, Angelos was said to give MacPhail permission to trade Roberts (who, as we darn well know, is Angelos' really, really, really all-time favorite baseball player) for  Sean Gallagher, Eric Patterson, Matt Murton, and another undisclosed prospect plus the HOF Yosh Kawano hat. MacPhail plans to call Cubs GM Jim Hendry tomorrow morning to tell him the good news--that their organizaton was FINALLY able to come to this MOMENTUS DECISION. MacPhail doesn't expect any other obstacles to affect this long anticipated transaction.

D'oh!

Comments

LOL. Nice one. We no longer want to do anything with that joke of a front office in Baltimore!

I wonder if Angelos would make the trade for the Yosh Kawano hat ONLY.

I'll bet we could get that back from the Hall of Fame.

it might take a few months for Angelos to read the medical reports on the hat (it's a really, really, really thick stack of papers)

The SCORE is reporting that it's Roberts for Harden.

Reading through all these A's fan comments, they sound really depressed with the harden trade.

I guess that makes Hendry a...

...snicker...

"Harden criminal"!!!! GUFFAW!

I'll let myself out.

Boo.

Needs more sexual innuendo.

really dude, if you don't think you can get enough sexual innuendo from a harden criminal, you must have never been in jail... oops

Touche, my good man.

as par with too many beane trades.

i think the fan base is getting a little tired of getting 3-4-5 "mid level/scrap" prospects that eventually give them a plethora of AAAA players and guys who can hit .250 with a .350 ob%, who can't run to save their lives, play spotty D, and struggle to hit 15-20 homers.

its like having a team full of #2 or #6 hitters.

at least they can draft/trade for pitchers with great success. now they could use 2-3 legit hitters who can actually do something with the walks all around them and the pitchers who are getting their job done.

Well, Eveland and Smith are working okay. Haren sure did give them a couple of All-Star caliber seasons. I guess you do have a point, but you really can't argue with Beane's trading history. It's flawless.

Even the only clear mistake he's made trade-wise was a complete steal at the moment. Charles Johnson was coming off a decent season and looked like a pretty good 4th OF for the long run and Dan Meyer was an elite pitching prospect -- elite as in Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain elite. He broke down, oh well -- things happen. Or was it shit happens?

The AAAA players the A's use often are a result of Beane's subpar FA strategies (sure, you can't compete for first tier FA players if your owner is a tightwad and the fan base doesn't spend as much as the other Bay Area markets); see Emil Brown, Mike Sweeney and others.

yeah, it just seems pitching is about the only thing they get right...and they love to hedge their bets by picking up volume.

Funny one, doc, but aren't you a bit too busy reviewing reports of Harden's medical history to crack jokes?

ouch! pun intended.

• Eloy Jimenez grand slam tonight. Hoping Soler power returns and gets hot but future looks bright in the outfield regardless.

Eric S 2 hours 15 min ago view
  • Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

• Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 3 hours 21 min ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 3 hours 47 min ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 4 hours 14 min ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 5 hours 42 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 7 hours 17 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 8 hours 57 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 8 hours 58 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 9 hours 58 sec ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 9 hours 3 min ago view
  • La Stella at 2B...Baez at 3B, or vice versa. Zobrist in RF, Bryant in LF No one gets bumped.

Dusty Baylor 9 hours 11 min ago view
  • If Coghlan is leading off, I assume Fowler is getting the day off. Who is supposed to lead off, then? Someone has to get on base for Bryant and Rizzo. Coghlan's OBP is .346 with the Cubs. Jackson's was .304. LaStella can lead off, but then he has to play second or third, and bump Zobrist or Baez.

Unless he gets hot, Coghlan will likely change places with Soler soon.

VirginiaPhil 9 hours 13 min ago view