If you rebuild it, will they come back?

Wrigley vacanciesOn day five of single game ticket sales yesterday it was still possible to buy four seats together for Opening Day.

I suspect the Ricketts gang has taken notice of the fact that spit and polished pee troughs are trumped by a 5th place team and 9% unemployment when folks sit down in February to calculate whether or not they can afford $72 bleacher tickets come summertime.

There are other causes for concern as the bean counters contemplate the 2011 schedule and project the team's prospects at the turnstiles.

The two months with the highest number of home games are April and May with 15 and 17, respectively. Not only is the weather at its poorest then, but the early returns on advance ticket sales indicate that fans are taking a wait and see approach on this year’s edition rather than banking that Mike Quade’s 24-13 audition last year was an accurate forecast of the 2011 winning percentage.

The Yankee series is the only one at home over a weekend in June.

Attendance at the first two exhibition games was spotty. Unseasonable weather may be an early factor there, but even subpar Arizona weather is likely to far surpass whatever awaits in Chicago in April and May before Wrigley has a chance to put her face on.

Has the Cub/Wrigley Field brand peaked? It appears right now that the baseball business headquartered at Clark & Addison is in danger of having its streak of three million-plus attendance seasons snapped at seven.

If that happens will the storm sewers outside the Addison Red Line station be able to handle the flood of scalpers’ tears?

Comments

That's what happens when one of the worst teams in MLB has the most expensive tickets in all of MLB.

Screw the Rickii.

you mean the Ticketts family?

Well played Mr. Wellman, well played.

There are few feelings that I enjoy more than approaching a pack of scalpers around the bottom of the 2nd of a low-attendance game and demonstrating the power of a buyer's market. If they're going to take their profits during the good years, then I'm going to eat their lunches in, say, 2011.

On that note, more Tuesday games v. Pittsburgh please.

I can't speak for everyone, but I bought tickets every year using the waiting room bullshit, but not this year. I think I'd rather have a root canal than sit around for hours watching my browser refresh.

I couldn't help but feel that WrigleyFieldPremiumTickets had first dibs and I was an afterthought, so f**k it. I'll watch them lose a game at Great America Ballpark instead.

The only thing that's peaked is greed. You can't raise ticket prices every single year and expect people to keep coming back forever. Not only have they continued to raise ticket prices during losing years, but they're diminishing the traditional "Wrigley experience" by erecting dumbass Toyota signs and assaulting our eardrums with Luna jingles and Miley Cyrus instead of the dulcet tones of Gary Pressey's organ.

As far as I'm concerned, the whole Ricketts clan can get f*cked.

And while they keep raising ticket prices and cutting payroll, refusing to put out a halfway decent team, they keep running stupid f-ing ads in the Chicago area about Wrigley Field, and the tradition of Wrigley Field, and come see beautiful Wrigley Field. Not one word that baseball is supposed to be played there. The team itself is taking a backseat under the Ticketts family (to borrow Mike W.'s wonderful saying), and they're insulting actual baseball fans by advertising to the people who only want a nice day in the park.

News flash to Ticketts: the core Cubs fans are Cubs fans. Wrigley is beautiful, but we want a baseball team that can win. The Yankees and Red Sox can charge crazy prices for tickets because they keep putting the money into the roster. If they need help at a position they trade for it or sign a free agent, while the Cubs cry wolf and shop off the scrap heap.

...nice mouse rollover comment on the picture up top.

On that RF bleach picture you are showing a half empty family section.

No one in their right mind would watch bad Cub baseball sober.

family section used to be in extreme LF but they moved it around the LF pole...the pic is of the 'bleacher box' section where you can get reserved bleacher seats instead of the 'first come/first serve' GA that prevails in rest of bleachers...

I stand corrected.

down in front!

i have alot of my games for sale ..these are my season tickets for 28years
they are in row 3 section 129 aisle seats 1-4
they are located on the first base side in the sun all the time behind the dugout inline with the pitchers mound
i have a list up on face book but u can email me at edo4cubs@aol.com

heres my link on face book to games i have

• Hmmm, my math might be fuzzy but if he retired 3 batters with 3 pitches, how did he get a 1/1 GO/AO ratio?

bradsbeard 1 hour 16 min ago view
  • Pls DFA Peralta when Richard comes back. Richard 1 IP, O R, O ER, 0 BB, 2 Ks in first rehab appearance. We really need to trade for a LHRP.

chitownmvp01 1 hour 33 min ago view
  • "The Boston Red Sox were banned from signing any international players for the next year and had five of their teenage prospects declared free agents on Friday after a Major League Baseball investigation showed they circumvented signing-bonus rules last year, a source familiar with the situation told Yahoo Sports."

Rob Richardson 5 hours 12 min ago view
  • The thing with Heyward is its not just free agency. He is way under performing his career #s. He's making the same % of contact but his soft contact is much higher and hard contact much lower than all his previous years so there is something very specifically going on this year causing the issues. Chances are he will eventually get back to his previous #s and it's better to get the slump now and get that hot run later but I wish I knew what is different about this year. He's either just not seeing the ball as well or a swing change is causing it.

• Only 3 pitches for Leathersich. Not much of a rehab outing.

Thanks for the reporting Phil.

QuietMan 5 hours 40 min ago view
  • He's the nastiest pitcher I've seen in awhile. I'm gonna give them all a mulligan on this one.

Coghlan's strike out was more disappointing. He was fighting off a lot of pitches and not swinging at crap, and on the last pitch, he swung at stuff he was laying off, and struck out.

And Heyward, too. I don't blame Heyward - I blame free agency. I hate it. You almost never get a valid return on the investment.

I look forward to the day when ball players own the teams. The current economics are not sustainable.

• Oh, I'm sure you're right. He's not 27-27 in saves for nothing. But, man, I hope they learned last night that he didn't throw a single pitch in the zone to KB, Contreras or Baez, and they all just kept swinging.

• Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.

• I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.

The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.

• I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable

cubbies.4ever 17 hours 40 min ago view
  • Did you expect anything different?

• Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?

• men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.

cubs lose :(

• UH OH! RALLY TIME!

• Getting tired of this Heywood weak sauce

jacos 19 hours 26 min ago view
  • Yep, can't say I disagree with that. His first batter and resulting walk was just brutal. Reminded me of a bit of Jacque Jones spiking his throws into the ground from RF.

Eric S 19 hours 34 min ago view