The New Untouchables

We've done this joke before (well Real Neal did), but Bruce Miles has written the 2010 sequel.

--As we wrote last week, the only prospects the Cubs won’t move are Brett Jackson and Chris Archer. All the others would be on the table in trade talks. That includes Josh Vitters and Jay Jackson.

Is being deemed untouchable by the Cubs brass pretty much the kiss of death for your baseball career? I wouldn't take any fishing trips out on the lake if I were them.

Comments

In Bruce's comments section he says that talks have cooled quite a bit on the Fukudome front. So nothing brewing there.

The Nats want Garza or Greinke as well, their untouchables are Desmond and J. Zimmerman.

Muskatrock: Cubs will add a patch in 2011 to honor Santo.

This sounds 3/44, sorry if it is.

Edit: Linky linky

The patch should be an image of Dave Otto's head with a red circle and line over it.

No Zito

Take a look at the first sentence of the article (emphasis added):

there have now been 10 free agent position players who have received contracts of $100 million or more.

And yes... on that list, Beltran would be considered good.

"Cliff Lee is going to the Philadelphia Phillies, industry sources said Monday night. The Rangers were told Monday night that Lee is going to the Phillies, It is a done deal"

...so...when are the cubs trading for blanton? =p

Holy shit, that would be one retarded rotation.

halladay/c.lee/r.oswalt/c.hamels

i imagine they'll trade blanton away and put k.kendrick in the 5 slot...the 1-4 is crazy good enough...and the #4 should be the #3 guy...and he would be more than a few team's #1...crazy.

It's like the Cubs rotation, only the exact opposite. I'm not sure this city could handle Blanton and Silva, they are hungry fuckers.

5 years, $100 million, from what they said on radio.

I think their $80 million rotation and $60 million infield pretty much blows the roof off of the "We're spending what we can" owner theory. Between the Phillies' payroll and the Jayson Werth deal, the owners are going to have themselves some explaining to do when it comes to the next CBA.

5/115 says mlbtr here: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/agree-t... (sposedly from Hymen on the twitterses)

Well I overestimated their cost on the infield, but my quick estimate on their 25 man roster puts their payroll at $155.3 million.

Phillies vs Patriots in the Super World Bowl Series?

Along those lines, Indiana introducted Kevin Wilson as their new football coach last week. When asked about the Indiana v. Purdue rivalry, he said it was like when "the Yankees play the Lakers."

Got it. Thanks.

According to Crashburn Alley, the Phillies now have four of the top 12 MLB leaders in xFIP from 2010. I hope no NL team is dumb enough to take Joe Blanton off their hands.

Deal in place to send Blanton to Red Sox?

Looks like the Cubs picked a good year for Project .500

At least we were able to hold onto Koyie Hill. Imagine that Philly rotation if they could throw to Koyie?

Tampa wants 2 pitching prospects and a SS of the future for Garza

I can't blame them, but part of me is still somewhat wary about Garza. I'm thinking they are probably asking for something like McNutt (Bruce Miles has been fairly clear that the only untouchables, as you note, are Archer and Jackson, and Cashner/Castro probably aren't going anywhere, so McNutt, who is most often thought of as our third best prospect, seems logical for a trade involving arguably the 2nd best pitcher that could be on the market), Carpenter or Jackson, and Lee. I'm not sure I like that ... but if I'm the Cubs, I'm not sure I say no to that.

Maybe the smart move is to start the season and see how good the team is?

If we look like a winner by late May. Then you can dangle these same prosects for a Garza,Guthrie,Grienke type of Guy. If we look like an also ran by late May. Then we can put the feelers out on Gorzo,Wells, Dempster and maybe a Marmol or Marshall?

Either way I'd like to see some level of commitment towards a direction.

• Chapman shouldn't be reserved anymore on 40 man.

chitownmvp01 3 hours 33 min ago view
  • Interesting split on Heyward according to ESPN. As a CF, his slash line .292/.363/.375/.738. At RF: .212/.204/.300/.604. 21/72 as a CF, 58/273 as a RF.

He's also been better when batting 2nd, but he had a nice start in the 6 hole, but has slumped ever since. He was heating up before the All Star break, but is only hitting .108 in the 2nd half.

chitownmvp01 3 hours 41 min ago view
  • When we played the Reds with Chapman, I always thought of it as an eight-inning game. So now other teams have eight innings to try to get a lead against the Cubs. Should be a challenge, assuming three or four Cubs ever start hitting again.

I don't really try to get to know and like these players personally. I'm rooting for laundry, for the most part. Exceptions might be when a player makes trouble in the clubhouse or in the dugout. (Zambrano and Bradley come to mind. Also Papelbon.) But I don't think Chapman is one of those jerks.

VirginiaPhil 7 hours 13 min ago view
  • Unfortunately, a pretty good summary. It looks like next year Heyward will be getting yet another batting stance adjustment.

The recent good news has been Baez. I'm afraid about the next league adjustment on him, though, which is probably right around the corner.

Bryant I don't worry about too much. Just not seeing the ball well right now. He'll turn it around. Russell's been good with men in scoring position all year and he's 22ish. He'll be fine but next year is likely to be his breakout year.

• If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.

• Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."

• This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.

• I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.

They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.

However, several players are just "average" for the last month: Zobrist, Ross, Russell, Ceasar. Montero is terrible, plus he cannot throw anyone out. -WAR. Heyward is abysmal at the plate, but a plus in the OF. Still with RISP he has been terrible. KB has not been driving in runs as of late. But Apparently the team is still above average with RISP according to S Sahadev.

• I came to that realization tonight. I kept expecting them to play better, but now I realize they aren't going to. They are a .500 team now.
    - They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
    - Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.

• new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup

• Team is .500 since early May and is playing like a .500 team. Lack of offense seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the pitchers...and they aren't handling it terribly well.

.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.

blockhead25 19 hours 40 min ago view
  • ...i hate espn.

nothing like settling into a cubs game to get a few minutes cutaway for an ortiz AB in the 6th inning of the det/bos game.

oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.

• I'm liking this rookie Nathan.

CTSteve 19 hours 56 min ago view
  • Richard DFA'd. Meh...

• Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.

Charlie 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • The next 2 games are nationally televised. I think we dominate tonight, hitting 3 HRs off Shields. Great night for KB to end HR drought facing HR prone pitcher in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league.

chitownmvp01 1 day 1 hour ago view