Game Preview: Cubs (37-47) @ Diamondbacks (32-52)

The Cubs go for 3 in a row. 3 WINS in a row!!!! It's the start of something big, like starting to trade players away.

Ken Davidoff tweets that the Mets are quite interested in Ted Lilly and the Cubs seem to be smart and willing to pay most of Lilly's remaining salary to get it done. No idea whom the prospects or players might be at this point or how serious the talks are, but Lilly's a good fit in spacious CitiField and the Cubs need to start thinking about some future year where they'll be good again and interesting.

Lou has come to terms with the team being sellers and is already talking retirement. Is that a white flag I see in your pocket?

I'll put the lineups up when they become available.

UPDATE: Fukudome 9/Theriot 4/Lee 3/Byrd 8/Ramirez 5/Soriano 7/Castro 6/Soto 2/Dempster 1

Also Brian Schlitter to disabled list with a shoulder impingement, Mitch Atkins called up.

Comments

Schlitter to the DL with "right shoulder impingement" and Atkins called up.

that's schitty.

that's ok, he's found another line of work;

I'm traveling and so, am just catching up on yesterday's baseball news.

I hope my fellow Cub fans won't let this year's struggles prevent you from enjoying what's really important in life. This, for example:

Awesome!

I enjoy watching them suffer

They're suffering again. Gave up 7-4 lead tonight at Colorado. Game now tied 7-7 after three-run Rockies eighth inning.

wow no one in parachat.

YOU'VE CHANGED!!!!!!!!

ha.

@!#%$! Lee drops another toss to first.

Maybe I need anger management counseling but...Wuddup with that?

I saw that, about Parachat and was about to post it. Fucking quitters. First off night I have in months and no one is there to amuse me; btw, Aramis!

Hi Carlos!

The Rickets are cutting back and Parachat is one of the casualties. I heard Hendry might swap Parachat for an old AOL Chatroom.

All that stands in the way is getting Parachat to waive it's No Trade Clause.

I thought it was the player option that was the real problem, and the cost of shipping its personal emoticon coach everywhere it goes.

Off-topic fantasy question for anyone so inclined:

Was offered Ethier for A-Rod. It's a keeper league (up to five guys can be kept), and I've been contemplating dealing A-Rod anyway, since I don't know how much longer he'll be keeper-worthy, and I'm pretty much out of the race this year.

For the rest of this season, I have A-Ram and Prado who can cover 3B, and I have Werth, Span, Boesch, G. Jones, Stanton and LaPorta who can play OF.

Ethier, obviously, is keeper-worthy.

Complicating things is the owner offering me this deal is the most annoying in the league, so I'm not inclined to help him, yet I know that shouldn't play a role.

I'm leaning toward doing it but wanted to hear any other thoughts.

I would make the trade if you don't want to be as competitive this year. I wouldn't make the trade if you want to be more competitive this year.

In other words, ARod probably is better over the rest of this year, Ethier better in the future.

Of course, I traded Strasburg for ARod, so not sure if I am the most unbiased advisor.

Sounds a bit like re-arranging deck chairs. Both guys are pretty good all-around contributors, and you don't have positional scarcity at 3rd or OF to make you particuarly motivated either way.

In general it's always good to say how big your league is and what the stats used are when asking for advice and suggestions.

I left out the details because I figured it was a big WGAF.

But it's 11 teams, offensive stats are AVG, HR, RBI, R, SB, OBP, SLG. Pretty standard Yahoo league with just a few additional categories.

For this year, it's definitely rearranging deck chairs. Holding on to A-Rod isn't going to affect me much one way or the other. The notion of Ethier vs. an aging A-Rod for the future is what intrigues me.

Yeah I realized that. I think Ethier is probably a little overrated. A-Rod has been one of the best in the game and I don't see Ethier ever getting there.

BP has their forecasted total average for the next five years.

Year Arod Ethier
2011 .310 .302
2012 .308 .302
2013 .306 .305
2014 .295 .302
2015 .293 .301

Hope that helps.

tough call, but personally a 3bmen much harder to find than an OF and even with the injuries and decline, he should still be top 5 3bmen for a few years.

or it was all 'roids and you should deal him now...

Yeah, the 3B/OF thing is a tough part of it going forward.

Thanks to all for the input.

• ...why isn't j.lucroy playing for TEX yet?

2r HR on a 12-pitch AB.

crunch 21 min 20 sec ago view
  • nathan to join the cubs tomorrow.

crunch 55 min 30 sec ago view
  • Wow in deed.

Rob Richardson 59 min 41 sec ago view
  • FOX Sports @MLBONFOX
    Chris Sale was scratched from tonight's scheduled start due to a clubhouse incident before the game

...wow

he was sent home by the team, too. the wsox released a press statement and everything. they stated it was non-physical in nature.

crunch 1 hour 4 min ago view
  • He was scratched from his start today. No reason given.

Rob Richardson 1 hour 9 min ago view
  • At the start of the season the book was that he was trying to pitch to more contact so he could stay in the game longer and it seems to be working so far. Contact against is 77.5% this year and it was 70.2% the year before. He averaged 6.7 IP/game last year and so far it's 7 IP/game. His actual pitches per game are only down to 106.1/game from 107.2/game last year but if he's able to go a bit farther into games without throwing more pitches and without giving up more runs that is a good thing.

• sale's skills and insane value makes it almost too hard to have a market for the guy...he's got 3/38m owed to him over 3 seasons (2 team options). he could easily pull in 30m/yr if he was on the market as a FA.

he's throwing a bit differently this season, especially with more sliders and less changeups like earlier in his career, but all his stuff still looks great even if the HRs are a little elevated and the Ks are down.

• Torres, Happ, McKinney, Jimenez, and Candelario for Sale. Deal or no deal?

"The White Sox are reportedly asking for “five top prospects” for Chris Sale, FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman reports."

John Beasley 4 hours 21 min ago view
  • Unless he develops 30+ HR power and keeps his walk rate close to his K rate at the MLB level, he's not going to turn into Prince Fielder. And even if he does turn into Prince Fielder, he's gonna have a short prime. His very limited athleticism is likely to also detract some value from his ability to reach base--I don't buy making an out as being preferable to base clogging, but you'd certainly prefer just about any base runner other than Vogelbach, David Ortiz, etc.

• seeing as arod has played a total of 27.1 innings of D at 1st/3rd and somehow managed a -0.5 dWAR with his 1 error at 1st and an overall positive total zone rating...he might end up even more in the shitter via the characteristics/flaws/whatever of how some sites determine various WAR values. dWAR doesn't directly lead to a WAR value, but the 2 main entities pushing the most popular variations of WAR sometimes lead to some interesting discrepancies in value.

• I have a lot of faith in Baez that he's going to turn into a more consistent, solid player. It looks like it took him about a half season or so of futility at the plate to figure out he was not talented enough to get away with the crazy approach he had. I think his running game will eventually have a more measured aggression.

• I hope the D and bullpen show up. Cubs haven't had much luck against Davies, and he's been going well lately. A little uncomfortable with the Cards only 6.5 back--feels like they're right on our tails compared to the 11 game lead I've grown accustomed to.

• Cardinals, stop that. Right now.

• In a year or two, a lot of fans are going to point at trading him as a mistake. He'll probably be slashing something like 280/400/480 for Seattle at the time. Of course, by WAR, he'll still be worth less than 3, since we're talking zero defensive value.

John Beasley 11 hours 3 min ago view
  • vogelbomb debut for tacoma (AAA SEA)... 3-3, 1bb, 1 HR, 1 double...DH'd.

while he mostly played 1st considerably more than DH for AAA CHC, DJ Peterson is probably going to see most of the time at 1st for AAA SEA.

• Carl Jr.! Very nice!

Baez with another "WTF?" play trying a delayed steal with a runner on 3rd and one out.. Remarkable talent, needs to make better decisions.