My Kingdom for a Tater!

Granted, any lineup that undergoes a triple crown-ectomy is gonna be sore. But Jake Fox's promotion to Chicago leaves the Iowa Cubs really hurting.

The team hadn't even homered in Fox's last six games on the roster. After yesterday's doubleheader split and today's 9-1 matinee loss to the Sacramento River Cats on getaway day the dubious streak is at nine and counting as the team heads south for a road trip versus its divisional rivals in Memphis and Nashville.

Fox left town with 17 homers.

Today's lineup had 10 [14 if you count the four hit on behalf of the Tennessee Smokies]. And that included a DH!

A pitcher with 10 strikeouts in 22 innings+ fanned nine I-Cubs this afternoon in seven frames. At one point Dana Eveland whiffed five straight.

The defensive effort was lowlighted by Jason Dubois in left field. In the top of the 3rd he camped under a fly ball off the bat of Eric Patterson, straddling the foul line. It appeared that the ball bounced off of his noggin into the seats behind the Iowa bullpen for a ground rule two-base error! Scowling and scuffing at the chalk like a golfer tapping an imaginary spike mark after missing a gimme, Dubois returned to his post. Patterson stole 3rd on the first pitch before scoring on a sacrifice fly to, you guessed it, Dubois, who made the play of the game with a leaping catch while banging against the wall.

You just never know what you're gonna see at the old ballpark.

GOTTA HAVE HART DEPT. - Kevin Hart continued to rebound from a poor start to his season with four more scoreless innings in yesterday's nightcap. It was his second straight impressive start after 16 appearances out of the bullpen. For the year Hart has now fanned 33 in 28 innings while walking only nine...MW

Comments

RealNeal will be along shortly to accuse you of yelling

....

Is there a pic out there of Dubois taking that ball in the head?

Yes, you're right, and the entire world is wrong.

Feel better?

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH NEAL.

IT'S KIND OF LIKE A HEADER, YOU KNOW? NOT FOR EMPHASIS OR ANYTHING; MORE OF A SHIFT OF GEARS...

TONIGHT'S TOP STORY......

I DON'T KNOW WHY WE'RE YELLING

I'VE ALWAYS BEEN LOUD...EVEN HERE @ THE LIBRARY

• The official police report on Chapman:

You can draw your own conclusions.

Old and Blue 5 min 30 sec ago view
  • Where is he going to play for the Cubs?

Rob Richardson 32 min 20 sec ago view
  • That was, ummmm, you know. A joke?

Old and Blue 37 min 15 sec ago view
  • Even from an on-field perspective, Torres is a 19-year-old beating up High-A pitching who also plays a great SS. Even if he never develops a legit MLB power stroke, he's still an obvious 4-tool guy with a very high floor. Sucks to trade away his next 6-8 years for a closer, albeit a great one.

John Beasley 2 hours 6 min ago view

pretty much sums up my feelings

• You mean Yankees?

QuietMan 8 hours 19 min ago view
  • Cards lose!

Arizona Phil 8 hours 45 min ago view

• I just prefer they don't  acquire players that choke their wives/girlfriends.

• I'd prefer it not happen too.